2nd and Goal from the 1 - a tale of two games

BillsFan619

It's pretty crazy that this week's and last week’s game came down to a failed attempt on 2nd and Goal from the 1 (both plays amounted to negative yards). If you have 2nd and Goal from the 1, you expect to punch it in and the odds are heavily in your favor that you will. So again, pretty wild that it happened two weeks in a row.

We all know the scene last week. Josh, because of the struggles of the center/QB exchange throughout the game, had to be in shotgun. The result, a play that loses a couple yards. 3rd and Goal, incomplete to Diggs (almost intercepted). 4th and Goal, the short and incomplete pass to Lil Dirty. Bills lose.

This week. 2nd and Goal from the 1 and a MONSTER stop by Milano (IMO, this was the defensive play of the game) that resulted in a four yard loss. 3rd and Goal, LJ is stopped at around the 2 or 3 yard line. 4th and Goal, the amazing INT by Jordan Poyer. Bills storm down the field, win the game and all is right in Bills land.

Side note - the Bills caused seven negative plays against Baltimore who is the #4 ranked offense (they were #4 at the start of the game, that ranking could be different now). That's some incredible defense we're playing especially with some significant pieces still out.

What a great game and what an amazing play by Matt Milano. So glad we were on the winning side this time around.

Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

It's pretty crazy that this week's and last's week game came down to a failed attempt (both plays amounted to negative yards) on 2nd and Goal from the 1. If you're at 2nd and Goal from the 1, you expect to punch it in and the odds are that you will.

We all know the scene last week. Josh, because of having a different center in there, had to be in shotgun. The result, a play that loses a couple yards. 3rd and Goal, incomplete to Diggs (almost intercepted). 4th and Goal, the short and incomplete pass to Lil Dirty. Bills lose.

This week. 2nd and Goal from the 1 and a MONSTER stop by Milano (IMO, this was the defensive play of the game) that resulted in a four yard loss. 3rd and Goal, LJ is stopped at around the 2 or 3 yard line. 4th and Goal, the amazing INT by Jordan Power. Bills storm down the field, win the game and all is right in Bills land.

Side note - the Bills caused seven negative plays against Baltimore who is the #4 ranked offense (they were #4 at the start of the game, that ranking could be different now). That's some incredible defense we're playing especially with some significant pieces still out.

What a great game and what a play by Matt Milano. So glad that we were on the winning side of this "2nd and Goal at the 1" tale. Go Bills!

Couldn't agree with you more regarding the way the D played, still missing so many significant players.  It's downright scary.  

Kudos to Von for getting another sack today and just barely missing another....I know it's only four games but in my opinion, the way he's playing I'm almost expecting double digit sacks, quite possibly even more.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll add a second similar one.  Last week we were at the 6 and they seemed more concerned about killing the clock then scoring the TD.  It was the second last drive and I remember saying they better get the TD if they are going to burn this clock.  They didnt get the TD.  They turned it over on downs instead.  This week they killed the clock and got the game winner field goal.

I actually thought at the time they should still try to get the TD because there is always a chance for a bad snap, bad hold, or simply a missed kick.  I know others will have a difference of opinion on this and thats ok but IMO you always get the points first kill clock second.  Last week it bit them in the arse trying run after run and not getting the points.  This week it worked out but something could have happened.  Of course there is that 13 second thing that may say otherwise but that was a defensive collapse.  I dont care how good another team is, they should never score on you with 13 seconds left.  I doubt we ever see that again ever except maybe a kick return.

I dont really want to turn what I said into an argument thing.  It was just something I remember thinking in the moment.  Not really questioning their decisions.

Edited by Scott7975

37 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Couldn't agree with you more regarding the way the D played, still missing so many significant players.  It's downright scary.  

Kudos to Von for getting another sack today and just barely missing another....I know it's only four games but in my opinion, the way he's playing I'm almost expecting double digit sacks, quite possibly even more.

And don't forget the contribution from Rosseau.  He is becoming a monster

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

With what we paid him double digit sacks is his minimum expectation.

He'll have 15+ and depending how the year goes he could challenge the record with a couple big games. 

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

With what we paid him double digit sacks is his minimum expectation.

He'll have 15+ and depending how the year goes he could challenge the record with a couple big games. 

And look what it has done for Rousseau. Matched his sack production as a rookie by the end of week 4. If Von gets 10 and Rousseau also gets 10 I think you have give Von some credit for the uptick from Groot too. Not all of it. Some is a 2nd year guy figuring it out. But some is playing across from Von Miller and the attention he gets.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And look what it has done for Rousseau. Matched his sack production as a rookie by the end of week 4. If Von gets 10 and Rousseau also gets 10 I think you have give Von some credit for the uptick from Groot too. Not all of it. Some is a 2nd year guy figuring it out. But some is playing across from Von Miller and the attention he gets.

I don't think you can over estimate the impact Von Miller has had on the play other Dline players, both on and off the field. I always knew he was a special player; however, I'm not sure I really appreciated just what he brings to a team until watching and listening to him since he arrived here.

Vs. The Dolphins, yes the Bills stalled at the one, but they got the ball back and easily should have got into FG position.  They did not and that seems to be not discussed enough. 

As well as the defence has played unless awful weather, I want the ball in Allen's hand to decide the game.  They failed vs. Miami and really had plenty of time and seemed to lack some urgency (yes 90 degrees out there).

Baltimore was right by stats and analytics to go for it Sunday, however the int and starting at the 20 was important, but little was made about the pass to Knox on 3rd & 2.  Once that pass was completed I was pretty much convinced the Bills would win.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah, we’re seeing a bit of a perfect storm in terms of Groot’s development. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.