THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - They Are Who We Thought They Were

Shaw66

Edmunds looks real good this year. Way more decisive and love they have him blitzing a bit, he's a great athlete. 

People also don't talk enough about how difficult it is on QBs to throw over the middle when a 6'5 LB is in coverage and has his hands up. 

You look at former 1st rd pick Patrick Queen on Bal and it's a huge difference in play. 

He must be re signed. I said this last year as well. 

1 hour ago, Ayjent said:

The Bills offense really had no one helping Josh in the first half.  Too many dropped balls and bad routes.  I know that was partly conditions but the Bills nearly let the game get too far away from them bc of it.   One particularly frustrating series was where Allen got a completion on first down followed by two on target passes that the receivers dropped (Cook and Crowder).  The receivers need to step up and I couldn’t help but think to look for Diggs more even with a lot of attention.  Shakir looks pretty good to me - very smooth running after the catch.  Not a blazing speed demon but a lot like Robert Woods.  He stepped up in the slot and I think the team is going to be better for it when McKenzie is back (doesn’t look like crowder will be back anytime soon).  They may want to rest Gabe Davis one more week bc it’s clear he isn’t 100%.  

The running game design leaves something to be desired bc too many slow developing plays out of spread formations and ineffectiveness from the interior line in short tight sets. Morse doesn’t seem to get any push in those situations and there hasn’t been much help from guards either.  We don’t have a back that can make those yards despite those issues.  It was why I was banging the drum for Dameon Pierce before the draft - a great short yardage ability and good receiver for his size. The type of guy to bring a physical element to the run game.  I’ve been trying to talk myself into Cook since they drafted him but I wasn’t that impressed with him in college and I’m still not impressed.  The team has plenty of shifty speedy players but they need physicality for tough games and they still don’t have it beyond 17.   Moss can be physical but he hasn’t shown to be a solution for short yardage. Despite all of that they still got some things going in second half running the ball.

The Defense is really good.  That’s who won the game plain and simple.  The Bills offense spotted the Ravens some points with turnovers and the D wasn’t quite tuned at the start of the game, but you could see them constricting tighter and tighter as the game went on.  Tremaine Edmunds and Milano played lights out.  The pressure by Edmunds where he kept his feet instead of flailing for Jackson (where Jackson routinely escapes) was impressive bc Jackson thought he was going to slip out of the pressure and was surprised when he realized he had no chance. Huge play to keep Bills momentum.  Milano had several open field stops on Jackson where Jackson is very hard to tackle. You stop the effectiveness of the Ravens run game and Jackson’s ability to freelance and they are not effective - the Bills adjusted and exposed that for the last 2.5 quarters.  

I also think McD was riding the refs about not calling penalties that were obvious early on - the Ravens were challenging the refs to call penalties with several holds on the Bills D linemen and being especially aggressive with contact on receivers. It worked to frustrate the Bills early on and the refs let it play without many penalties. Speaking of penalties - I’ve heard a lot of people criticize the roughing the passer call on Allen in the 4th quarter but I felt that was a long overdue call where the Ravens had several gratuitous shots on Allen where he’d given himself up and could’ve been called. I think it goes back to Allen and McD riding the refs and finally getting a call, even if it wasn’t the most deserving of plays. 

A great win for the team and we are nitpicking the weaknesses of a very good team - teams evolve during the season but you start to see the character after the first 4 games. 

Also for some reason Allen had a few tipped passes. Especially in the first half 

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Im really surprised the Ravens dont pack that house every week.

Im not as down on Cook as others.  He came in totally cold off the bench and dropped an over the shoulder pass in the pouring rain.  Yeah he does have to make the most of his opportunities but he doesnt get many.  He did make some plays in the pass game last week and he did make some runs in the Titans game the week before.  Its concerning a little because he is a second round pick and the third drafted RB in three years, but I'm not giving up on him yet.

Our run blocking is garbage and these backs, especially Singletary are better than they show because of it.  They need to end the Moss experiment though.  I have been banging that drum for two years now.  Yes he gets A good carry just about every game but he constantly puts us behind the sticks and wastes downs.  Its over.  Our line is crap but he isnt good enough.

Edmonds has been playing well all year.  Happy to see that.  He misses a few things each game but what player doesnt?

Was happy for Shakir today.  Made the catches when we needed him!

They need to quit trying to run out of the RPO motor does better when he is moving to get handoff like in a pitch or direct handoff not slowing down as he does in RPO.  see his good runs where out of standard rb runs.  Plus this opens the play action game much better from my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Good stuff.   I didn't mention Milano because, well, he does the same thing every week.  He's an amazing constant.  

I agree about tight formations about running.  The Bills should never line up in tight formations.  They run better out of plays that look to get wide, and they pass better, too.  

In general, the name of the game early in the season is to find a way to win while you're figuring out who you are.   So a lot of things you say are works in process.   We'll see how well they put it all together.  

Honestly we've played a tough group of rush defenses. 

1. Baltimore was #1 a year ago and they're still pretty solid on that part of defense.  
  2. Miami is 11th this year - but they played buffalo and Baltimore so you have the top 2 running QBs adding a ton of yards.  Conventional running against them this year hasn't been successful. 
  3. Tennessee was #2 last year, and had a bad game against the giants but they just held indy to 38 yards rushing
  4. LAR who was #6 a year ago

Shuffling line didn't help in week 3.  We know we're a passing team, but they need to figure out how to run more effectively against good defenses.  The short passes and stuff are a run game extension, but we need to be able to hand the ball off and gain some easy yards.  

2 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

They need to quit trying to run out of the RPO motor does better when he is moving to get handoff like in a pitch or direct handoff not slowing down as he does in RPO.  see his good runs where out of standard rb runs.  Plus this opens the play action game much better from my opinion.

The RPO pass portion is why we're just walking down the field half the game though. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Good stuff.   I didn't mention Milano because, well, he does the same thing every week.  He's an amazing constant.  

I agree about tight formations about running.  The Bills should never line up in tight formations.  They run better out of plays that look to get wide, and they pass better, too.  

In general, the name of the game early in the season is to find a way to win while you're figuring out who you are.   So a lot of things you say are works in process.   We'll see how well they put it all together.  

I believe they do it to show teams they are going to run out of it so it then will set up the counter play, which is to do a hard run fake and then throw to a wide open receiver for a huge gain/TD from the same formation since they are VERY good at that(think Gabe Davis TD against the Rams)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BubbaT said:

They need to figure out the O line run blocking scheme sooner rather than later. They pretty much only move on the ground when Josh has the rock in his hand. Certainly seems the wide zone run plays work consistently better than anything between the tackles. If I see Moss on any 1 yard to go down get a ball with an up the middle run play I'll throw up. Total waste of a play. Spread them out and run it there if you must but with everyone drawn in and in power formations it is hopeless.

The zone-blocking scheme Kromer likes for inside run isn't working, the Bills have guys who are mobile and athletic but are not physically dominating maulers. They're getting beaten trying to move bodies 1-v-1. Late last year when the Bills got Bates in the lineup and used their high-RAS linemen to advantage with pin-and-pull concepts the running game got going and the Bills O turned into a juggernaut. I hope the coaches are adaptable enough to realize this and not stick to inside zone the same way they stick to running Moss in the inside zone.

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Also for some reason Allen had a few tipped passes. Especially in the first half 

It's a byproduct of using the "mobile QB" formula of rushing the passer - namely 1) don't go upfield beyond the QB, and 2) don't lock up with blockers, in case the QB takes off you need to be disengaged in order to make the tackle. In that concept, DL sometimes aren't really even trying to get to the QB, just contain him, and try to affect the throw, i.e. jump and get the hands up. Same thing the Bills do against Lamar and Mahomes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

To be fair, Shakir has made mistakes too.  He whiffed on a big block that was needed for example.  Things happen.  I get your feelings though and I dont really argue against them.  You are right to feel that way.  I'm just not there yet.

I'm not giving up on him, but he has to start doing something. 

Every player makes mistakes.  The difference between players who play and players decide to go back and finish their degrees is not the mistakes, it's the contributions.   When you get on the field, you have to contribute.   Cook and Shakir both are making mistakes; so far, only Shakir has contributed.  

31 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm not giving up on him, but he has to start doing something. 

Every player makes mistakes.  The difference between players who play and players decide to go back and finish their degrees is not the mistakes, it's the contributions.   When you get on the field, you have to contribute.   Cook and Shakir both are making mistakes; so far, only Shakir has contributed.  

Again, I dont want to argue but to be fair Cook has more yards than Shakir.  Shakir really is only playing because the Bills didnt really have much choice after losing both McKenzie and Crowder.

This is what I cant figure out...  Shakir wasnt being dressed until we are down WR. Likely because they don't trust him to use him yet except out of need.  Why are they dressing Cook every week if they don't intend to give the kid some chances.  I dont view that one play coming in the middle of the game cold off the bench as chances. Like why dress him as a third RB when we barely run the football and Singletary is going to get the lionshare (as he should) and Moss is going to get the rest.

Im hearing things like... he is distant with the other players and he puts no effort in during things like pre warmups and stuff.  That just doesnt sound like a McD player.

I dont even think they really know how to use him at this point.  They might as well leave him inactive and dress someone else that has a better chance to contribute.

Edited by Scott7975

Shaw, 

I see that your retirement from writing the Rockpile Review is going about as well as Tom Brady's retirement from football! 😅

Only kidding, of course. Always happy to read what you have to say. 

I'm surprised to hear that the Ravens' stadium wasn't absolutely rockin' yesterday. It certainly didn't sound very loud on TV. Kind of strange, considering all the factors you mention. Huh.

My main takeaways from the game were threefold:

Opposing defenses have gone back to the old tactic of blitzing Josh Allen and playing tight man coverage on the Bills' receivers. Unless and until they show they can beat it with consistency, this will continue. Luckily, Dorsey dialed up some good answers yesterday -- particularly the empty set screen to Singletary at the two minute mark of the 4th quarter that got them into really safe field goal range. I'm optimistic the Bills offense will pass this test -- again.

The second half defense has been elite this season. Just seven points allowed in the second half through four games, and against four really good offensive opponents, to boot. Elite.

The lack of plan for Cook is bizarre to me. I agree that he hasn't been making the most of his opportunities, and maybe hasn't been earning himself any more, but...he's supposed to be this homerun pass catching threat. Where are the go routes against linebackers split out wide like we saw at Georgia? Where are the screens, the Texas routes, the swing passes against linebackers in man coverage? Maybe he needs to take better advantage of his snaps, but I'd also like to see the coaches do a better job of trying to take advantage of his unique skillset.

Happy Monday and GO BILLS!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

The zone-blocking scheme Kromer likes for inside run isn't working, the Bills have guys who are mobile and athletic but are not physically dominating maulers. They're getting beaten trying to move bodies 1-v-1. Late last year when the Bills got Bates in the lineup and used their high-RAS linemen to advantage with pin-and-pull concepts the running game got going and the Bills O turned into a juggernaut. I hope the coaches are adaptable enough to realize this and not stick to inside zone the same way they stick to running Moss in the inside zone.

It's a byproduct of using the "mobile QB" formula of rushing the passer - namely 1) don't go upfield beyond the QB, and 2) don't lock up with blockers, in case the QB takes off you need to be disengaged in order to make the tackle. In that concept, DL sometimes aren't really even trying to get to the QB, just contain him, and try to affect the throw, i.e. jump and get the hands up. Same thing the Bills do against Lamar and Mahomes.

Exactly. 

That's why I also love Edmunds because his length is insane in the middle of the field.   

This doesn't show up on the stat sheet but makes QBs very uncomfortable 

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

1.     Bills fans don’t have a monopoly on support for their team, but the lack of support for some teams amazes me.  Ravens fans have a playoff contender and a legitimate MVP candidate at quarterback.  This was an important early-season game that featured an equally legitimate MVP candidate.  Still, there were plenty of empty seats all around the upper deck at M&T.  Yes, it rained a little, but the weather wasn’t nearly bad enough to keep real fans away.  And the Ravens fans came alive on third down occasionally, but making noise for the defense obviously is not all that important to them.  There were a lot of Bills fans at the game, but we didn’t exactly take over the place, either.

They moved a team to an area with an already established fanbase. I lived in Southern Maryland and there was still a lot of Washington support. I'm actually surprised they have as many fans as they do outside of the city itself. 

I enjoy these - really good write-up.

The entire D was spectacular yesterday, and deserve credit for the win.  Holding the Ravens scoreless for a half+ and giving our O a chance to catch up was the key to the game.  But I'm glad you mentioned Edmunds individually - he's been playing at a very high level and deserves praise.  It's going to make for a tough decision in the near future.

Just a gutty win, though.  I'm glad they had that experience. I'm sure there will be a few more this season, but blowing teams out every week isn't great prep for the playoffs.  Games like last week and yesterday will pay dividends down the line.

3 hours ago, Success said:

But I'm glad you mentioned Edmunds individually - he's been playing at a very high level and deserves praise.  It's going to make for a tough decision in the near future.

He's one of the reasons they won't pay Poyer.  

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Shaw, 

I see that your retirement from writing the Rockpile Review is going about as well as Tom Brady's retirement from football! 😅

I'm surprised to hear that the Ravens' stadium wasn't absolutely rockin' yesterday. It certainly didn't sound very loud on TV. Kind of strange, considering all the factors you mention. Huh.

Opposing defenses have gone back to the old tactic of blitzing Josh Allen and playing tight man coverage on the Bills' receivers. Unless and until they show they can beat it with consistency, this will continue. Luckily, Dorsey dialed up some good answers yesterday -- particularly the empty set screen to Singletary at the two minute mark of the 4th quarter that got them into really safe field goal range. I'm optimistic the Bills offense will pass this test -- again.

The second half defense has been elite this season. Just seven points allowed in the second half through four games, and against four really good offensive opponents, to boot. Elite.

The lack of plan for Cook is bizarre to me. I agree that he hasn't been making the most of his opportunities, and maybe hasn't been earning himself any more, but...he's supposed to be this homerun pass catching threat. Where are the go routes against linebackers split out wide like we saw at Georgia? Where are the screens, the Texas routes, the swing passes against linebackers in man coverage? Maybe he needs to take better advantage of his snaps, but I'd also like to see the coaches do a better job of trying to take advantage of his unique skillset.

I plead guilty.  Actually, I'm writing or not depending on my travel plans and some other things.  I was sitting in a hotel room last night, so it was easy to bang away on my laptop. 

As to teams blitzing Allen, I'd say this:

1. Allen already has demonstrated he can read and react to defensive strategies.   He's not getting surprised by much.   And I expect he'll continue to improve.   I think seeing that skill emerge last season is what convinced me he can be truly elite. 

2.  That means it's up to the OC to give Allen the tools he needs to attack the blitz.   He needs protections, hot reads, escape routes, etc. that can be built into the game plans.   Escape routes, particularly, because he has the physical ability to move out of the pocket.  If teams want to blitz from the edges, either the flats are open for passes or the middle is open for runs - defenses are not going to survive if they rush six and also spy Allen.  The OC has to have the responses, because if the responses are available, Allen will execute.  

As for Cook, I agree.  Put him on the field and force defenses to pay attention to him.  Put him in at running back, then motion him out wide to force the defense to decide whether they want to cover him with a linebacker.  Make him the hot read on blitzes from his side.  I don't know what all the tactics are, but if he's supposed to have the speed to challenge defenses, the Bills need to put him on the field and get him the ball.  AND - he has to catch the ball when it's thrown to him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Logic said:

Shaw, 

Great points.  The key to the Bills offense this season is for them to be patient and take what the defense is giving and work the field.   Once Josh gets going int he game, he can then take additional chances with his arm (which he is darn good at).  

One of the failures yesterday was the inability to convert the 1st Poyer turnover into points.  We had a quick 3-and-out in midfield.   We could have put the nail on the Raven's coffin if we had scored there.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Im hearing things like... he (Cook) is distant with the other players and he puts no effort in during things like pre warmups and stuff.  That just doesnt sound like a McD player.

So this is obviously intriguing of course. Now, if you please, share WHERE you're hearing such things about the player. Otherwise, your post is frivolous. 

On 10/2/2022 at 11:08 PM, BadboyBills said:

All I know, Josh Allen is the best QB in the league and not even close. He does it all. Lamar is great against crappy D's. We Tua'd him like every other QB1 we faced so far. We are so good, the league doesn't know to be scared yet.

I am biased, but agree to a point.  Part of being a great leader is recognizing a miscalculation and correcting in the game.  What I mean is Josh was putting too much zip on the ball in the rain and most, and placed more touch on the ball as the game progresses quarter to quarter.  Not all the drops were the WRs fault.  This is not a criticism, but a compliment as Josh adjusted to the weather and look at that second half.

The second stringers did a good job, and Poyer is making it next to impossible to not want to extend him for two years.  I’d be very happy if Beane could figure that one out as Hyde still has another year after this list one.

On 10/3/2022 at 5:08 AM, BadboyBills said:

All I know, Josh Allen is the best QB in the league and not even close. He does it all. Lamar is great against crappy D's. We Tua'd him like every other QB1 we faced so far. We are so good, the league doesn't know to be scared yet.

I really don't get these comments. Josh is amazing, but have you ever watch Mahomes play? Guy is just as amazing.

We can argue which one is better but saying that Allen is so much better than Mahomes that it is "not even close" is pure nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

So this is obviously intriguing of course. Now, if you please, share WHERE you're hearing such things about the player. Otherwise, your post is frivolous. 

I heard something about here from training camp.  Someone was at the Baltimore game and posted here about it in one of the threads.  I dont know if its true or not.  If it is though it is a bit concerning.

3 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I really don't get these comments. Josh is amazing, but have you ever watch Mahomes play? Guy is just as amazing.

We can argue which one is better but saying that Allen is so much better than Mahomes that it is "not even close" is pure nonsense.

I agree with this.

I WILL say, though, that to me, it's Josh and Mahomes, and then everyone else.

If you're breaking QBs into tiers, Josh and Mahomes share the top tier all by themselves. As recently as last season, I would've put Brady and Rodgers in that tier, but not this season.

For me, it would be something like...

Patrick Mahomes

Josh Allen

-----------------------

Aaron Rodgers

Tom Brady

Lamar Jackson

-----------------------

Justin Herbert

Joe Burrow

-----------------------

Russell Wilson

Derek Carr

Dak Prescott

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.