Damar Hamlin (impressing)

akcash

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agree. Johnson seems like a hard hitter, and does well blitzing and in run support.  Just doesn’t seem to have the necessary cover skills that they require in this defense from the safeties. 

Just wait though when Tre is back, and they shift Benford to safety. Gonna be some elite coverage on the back end!! 

Tre to safety then that knee won't see the stress that it does at CB to start?  I know he is a great corner but if you needed some built in live play time to even give him a little more ease on the knee it could be in play

18 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

Tre to safety then that knee won't see the stress that it does at CB to start?  I know he is a great corner but if you needed some built in live play time to even give him a little more ease on the knee it could be in play

If you play S in Bills D then you are a key in run support.  And you may be asked to drop back into a different coverage look.  Can't see how all the thumping with Online and running in coverage as a S is easier than CB.  

15 hours ago, Big Turk said:

You mean except when he comes up to make a tackle on a run play and acts as the edge setting defender and then let's the RB bounce outside him for 15 yards and a first down?

Seriously?  An nfl football player that didn’t make the right read on one instance?  You post about that? Meh

12 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

If you play S in Bills D then you are a key in run support.  And you may be asked to drop back into a different coverage look.  Can't see how all the thumping with Online and running in coverage as a S is easier than CB.  

Free safety isn't nearly the thumber position that is normally where you see Poyer at

The biggest stress CB vs Safety on the knees is the constant back peddling and turning in the same motion

Just now, ILBillsfan said:

Free safety isn't nearly the thumber position that is normally where you see Poyer at

The biggest stress CB vs Safety on the knees is the constant back peddling and turning in the same motion

I tore ACL so agree on back pedaling and changing directions being stressors. 

In Bills run looks Poyer is usually the force or in box safety - not Hyde.  Hyde plays deep in Cover 1 more than Poyer.  But Bills often use their safeties interchangeably.  

37 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

You don't want to switch an all pro CB to safety in his prime.  I would condone putting Rhodes in there when he is healthy.  I think he would be a good fit there

I’m really happy to see Hamlin getting this opportunity.  He and Dane are a great story.  His arms are 2.5 inches longer, 3 inches taller and imo, plays faster than Johnson. Most importantly, he’s under contract for the next 2 years.  JJ is a FA after this season.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Hamlin was a rookie with 50 snaps last season.

He is looking pretty good so far (126 snaps) and gaining experience that can only be accomplished by playing.

I'm feeling good he can be the FS going forward.

Maybe, but I also really like Benford's long-term potential at safety. If White, Elam, and Taron Johnson are all healthy by November, then I'd look into moving Benford to FS opposite Poyer if Hamlin struggles at all and if Benford looks ready to handle the mental demands of Hyde's position. Xavier Rhodes at FS could be another option.

I'd still like to see a larger body of work before jumping to conclusions but it's no secret this team has built some quality depth the last few years.

I think the real test of the future of safety for this team will be what the position looks like next year without both Hyde and Poyer which still think this the likely outcome all fans should be expecting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.