Worried about Cook……is it too early?

streetkings01

Cook looks like he let that first carry fumble really get to him and his confidence seems really shot as a result.  He needs to know the coaching staff can trust him even if he makes a mistake.  Benching him immediately after that fumble was a poor coaching move.  Look at what Josh does if a receiver drops a ball.  He doesn't ice them out, he goes right back to them and when they make the catch, he runs right over and pumps the dude up.

3 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

the evidence is that he's not playing.  football players and coaches always speak the truth?  might it be that Miller and co r trying to give the rook a boost cuz he's struggling?

because they  have invested a lot in him.  kinda like holding onto a falling knife equity.

They invested a 2nd round pick.  Boogie Basham was a 2nd round pick and hardly dressed at all.

15 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

I know he’s a rookie……I get it, but RB is usually the one position where a rookie can make an impact from day #1 which Cook hasn’t. Add in the fact Beane/McDermott haven’t been great at evaluating RB’s either in the draft or free agency. He really needs to start showing he belongs in the NFL over the next couple weeks or we’ll start to see him inactive on game days.

I am not worried about Cook.  I am worried his drops and turnovers are keeping him out of games because McD is playing him less.  I think he will be an important piece on offense and another dimension.  I cringe when he dropped the ball yesterday because he wasn't going to play much or again yesterday.  I don't recall seeing him again after that.

24 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Boogie played in 8 games as a rookie.  had 2.5 sacks and 18 tackles.  maybe will see 3 TD's and 18 good plays from Cook this season.  I certainly hope so.

Didnt he spend like the first half of the season on the inactives list?  I mean I seem to recall people mocking the Bills because they cant even dress the 2nd round pick that people also felt the Bills didnt need.

It's weird because they obviously liked him a lot to draft him in the 2nd round but they seem to have zero faith in him or any type of desire to make him a focal point. 

Last night the Chiefs had that Rutgers guy who was a 7th rounder gashing the Bucs defense and ripping off 5 yards every time he touched the ball. Cook needs to be a focal point of our running game, or else why the heck did they spend a 2nd round pick on him?

I'm hoping he's just ramping up, but the idea that Zach Moss brings more to the table is insane. Singletary is shifty and makes moves and has shown an ability to make plays with the ball. Moss just hasn't, aside from one run against the Dolphins. 

Moss is their guy, but so is Cook obviously!

Edited by TheFunPolice

7 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Is he pass protecting when he’s taking the first play of a new drive and killing it with a -1, 0, 1 yard?

He pass protecting in the sense that he's forcing the Bills into 3rd/4th and long situations, forcing them to continue passing. 

I've been a critic of Moss for a while but I truly think he might be the worst #2 RB in the NFL right now. 

9 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Is he pass protecting when he’s taking the first play of a new drive and killing it with a -1, 0, 1 yard?

I hope this is sarcasm ^

I don't like Moss as a runner but he can at least block someone on a pass play and pick up blitzes.  Cook is clearly not trusted.  

17 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

I know he’s a rookie……I get it, but RB is usually the one position where a rookie can make an impact from day #1 which Cook hasn’t. Add in the fact Beane/McDermott haven’t been great at evaluating RB’s either in the draft or free agency. He really needs to start showing he belongs in the NFL over the next couple weeks or we’ll start to see him inactive on game days.

Yes it’s too early.  Just let him get acclimated when we play the Jets or other where we are up by 17.  He gets his sea legs and by the end of the year, Singletary has 15 designated targets or carries, and Cook gets 5.  Moss rides the pine unless there is an injury.  The other 40 go to our WR, TE’s, and an occasional Gilliam pass or run.  Josh is sparing in his runs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.