Worried about Cook……is it too early?

streetkings01

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

the evidence is that he's not playing.  football players and coaches always speak the truth?  might it be that Miller and co r trying to give the rook a boost cuz he's struggling?

because they  have invested a lot in him.  kinda like holding onto a falling knife equity.

So, you're chalking up his very scare playing time to him underperforming in practice and you know this how?  Do you have some insider knowledge the rest of us don't have?  And considering our other backs are getting playing time, but aren't producing a whole heck of a lot, your logic makes no sense.  

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don’t understand why they can’t bench Moss and just give Cook those 2-3 breather touches.

I mean I am rooting for Cook, but he hasn’t made it easy. Dropped one against the Dolphins, and again today.

Because Moss can block in pass protection.  

56 minutes ago, UConn James said:

It may just be my eyes, but Cook has just looked SLOW when he’s gotten the ball (mostly in the garbage time vs TENN). This is both in hesitation and in how fast he’s running out there. SLOOOW.

I think you're right and wrong here. He is not confident yet, and so he has been hesitant and does indeed look slow. However he is NOT slow,  and his running style is that of a glider type.  I firmly believe that he is going to come around and be a key weapon for his team later this year.

4 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

I forgot to add while it’s too early to evaluate Cook, the Chiefs absolutely nailed their 7th round pick with Isaih Pachecho RB Rutgers. When Cook does get more chances he needs to start having an impact. 

Agreed 100%. I'd love to see Cook get 7-10 opportunities per game. With his ability in open space its just a matter of time before he breaks one. 

This one is tough because you’d think he would try and make the most of his opportunities and he’s not.   If I recall correctly the big upside on him was his ability in the passing game and to drop that one that was perfectly placed was really bad.   He’s probably in a bad head space and to use a hockey term “gripping it to tightly”.    Gotta play loose my man!

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I don't wanna kill the guy.    When the entire RB group and QB's came out for their structured warm-ups, Cook participated like everyone else.  It was just his body language and not looking all that interested when he was out with McKenzie.  He has that demeanor of a chill guy that goes through the motions.  But, maybe behind the scenes he lives and breathes football, i don't know.

He is a chill guy. The same things were said about his brother Dalvin when he played here at FSU. James is going to be a good one. Some here still want every pick to kick ass from the get go. From Oliver to Groot, to Basham, to Epenesa. Players that are drafted are usually good players. College good. It takes time. Time that some here apparently don't have.

Edited by Dopey

21 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

I forgot to add while it’s too early to evaluate Cook, the Chiefs absolutely nailed their 7th round pick with Isaih Pachecho RB Rutgers. When Cook does get more chances he needs to start having an impact. 

Pacheco sure looks fast and dynamic in that offense. The Chiefs offense looked scary good against the vaunted Bucs defense. They were very balanced, great play calling, and Mahomes was well Mahomes. The Bills defense will be tested. The Chiefs defense looked very beatable. 

It is too early, but I am concerned. I thought Cook would "hit the ground running", but the truth is he looks nearvous out there.

I think he'll settle down and be ok. But I'm not expecting big numbers this year anymore. I really thought he would be a big part of the plan, but he has not looked the part yet.

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

So, you're chalking up his very scare playing time to him underperforming in practice and you know this how?  Do you have some insider knowledge the rest of us don't have?  And considering our other backs are getting playing time, but aren't producing a whole heck of a lot, your logic makes no sense.  

logic: premise- Bills rushing has not been very good

premise: Cook is on the roster as rb

premise:  Cook has seen limited playing time and is not injured

Conclusion:  Coaches don't think Cook will help them win more games

8 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

logic: premise- Bills rushing has not been very good

premise: Cook is on the roster as rb

premise:  Cook has seen limited playing time and is not injured

Conclusion:  Coaches don't think Cook will help them win more games

That's not logic, that's speculation.  You're attempting to draw a conclusion based on information you aren't privy to.

And again, our other RBs aren't doing much either, so the same flawed thought process can be applied there just as easy.  Neither Moss or Motor are injured, have gotten most of the playing time and aren't producing much of anything.  The only difference is the two guys that have been here longer get to play and not produce instead of being the new guy, not play, and not produce.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

That's not logic, that's speculation.  You're attempting to draw a conclusion based on information you aren't privy to.

And again, our other RBs aren't doing much either, so the same flawed thought process can be applied there just as easy.  Neither Moss or Motor are injured, have gotten most of the playing time and aren't producing much of anything.  The only difference is the two guys that have been here longer get to play and not produce instead of not play and not produce.

yeah...i skipped a couple of premises cuz they seemed obvious:  1.Bills want to win every game 2. Coaches make personnel/playing time decisions on who gives them the best chance to win

I'm more concerned with the coaching staff's apparent complete lack of plan for his usage than I am for him as a player.

For all the talk of wanting to acquire a pass-catching threat at running back, they sure don't seem to be designing any plays for him or putting any special effort into getting him involved in the passing game.

He seems to just be subbed in for the other running backs at random times and expected to run the same exact plays. I figured they'd have a few bubble screens, Texas routes, go routes on the outside against linebackers....SOMETHING!

Their lack of plan for him reminds me of when we drafted CJ Spiller and then let him sit in the garage and collect dust like a divorced man's Ferrari.

To start with, I'd love to see the Moss experiment end -- and yes, I was one of his biggest supporters and biggest believers that he'd have a great year, and yes I'm ready to take the L. Singletary should be the unquestioned starter and Cook should be the change of pace, third down, and primary receiving back. If they want a third back active on gamedays, let it be Duke Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

yeah...i skipped a couple of premises cuz they seemed obvious:  1.Bills want to win every game 2. Coaches make personnel/playing time decisions on who gives them the best chance to win

Or it's McD not being able to manage RBs, like we've known for years.

See, I can speculate too.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'm more concerned with the coaching staff's apparent complete lack of plan for his usage than I am for him as a player.

For all the talk of wanting to acquire a pass-catching threat at running back, they sure don't seem to be designing any plays for him or putting any special effort into getting him involved in the passing game.

He seems to just be subbed in for the other running backs at random times and expected to run the same exact plays. I figured they'd have a few bubble screens, Texas routes, go routes on the outside against linebackers....SOMETHING!

Their lack of plan for him reminds me of when we drafted CJ Spiller and then let him sit in the garage and collect dust like a divorced man's Ferrari.

To start with, I'd love to see the Moss experiment end -- and yes, I was one of his biggest supporters and biggest believers that he'd have a great year, and yes I'm ready to take the L. Singletary should be the unquestioned starter and Cook should be the change of pace, third down, and primary receiving back. If they want a third back active on gamedays, let it be Duke Johnson.

Yep, makes zero sense.  Dude was drafted as a dual threat like Kamara and they refuse even to try to use him that capacity.

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Or it's McD not being able to manage RBs, like we've known for years.

See, I can speculate too.

Yep, makes zero sense.  Dude was drafted as a dual threat like Kamara and they refuse even to try to use him that capacity.

last try:  your alternative doesn't change my conclusion. Even IF McD is making a mistake, he still clearly doesn't see much value in playing Cook much...

6 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

last try:  your alternative doesn't change my conclusion. Even IF McD is making a mistake, he still clearly doesn't see much value in playing Cook much...

And McD has never been a good offensive coach or good evaluator of offensive talent.

And AGAIN, given our other backs aren't doing much of anything, I'd love to hear him explain that thought process.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.