Worried about Cook……is it too early?

streetkings01

21 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

You tell me considering other players and the coaching staff have been singing his praises since training camp.

Now you provide any evidence at all that shows he's been underperforming in practice.  That's nothing but pure speculation.

Players sing praise to sing praise, if not they may be out of a team soon.

I have a feeling that Cook is an elite talent, but he has a bad work ethic and he’s not a grinder, that’s my guess. 

According to you though, he’s lighting it up in practice, why isn’t he playing, monsieur? Tell me.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

When there are other, more impactful positions you ALWAYS go that direction…. ***** Duke Johnson would absolutely give us what Moss/Cook are giving us and more… 

Duke was picked very close to these two.   Duke was a 3rd round pick at 77 overall, Moss 3rd round 86th overall, Cook was 2 round and 63 overall. 

20 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Or he isn’t getting snaps because the Bills played the Superbow champ Rams, the tied for #1 dolphins and a surging Baltimore team in a tough early schedule.  He played in our blowout and played well.  I think he will get more consistent opportunities moving forward. Maybe even Pittsburgh this week if we come out stronger than we have last 2 games.  

He played well in garbage time against backups. 

He continues to be unimpressive with the limited snaps he gets in times that matter. 

Beane’s history of using 2nd round picks on guys that don’t really help this team is something you can set your watch to. 

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

To quote @GunnerBill from earlier today...........RB's are the least important player on the field.    In non-special teams situations......truth.   It's the only position teams might draft early with no intent on giving them a second contract if they pan out.   And that being said.........when they are drafted early they have very little runway to get off the ground before they are seen as disappointing.   Getting exercised about that is futile.  

That quote was from a few days ago but I did joke in the game day thread yesterday that the next time Beane spends a day 2 pick on a flubbing running back I'd fire him on the spot. I just watched Isaiah Pacheco a 7th rounder run for over 5 yards a pop for Kansas City behind an offensive line where they traded a 1st for a left tackle, signed a guard to a big FA deal and drafted a stud center on day 2. 

Improve your blocking and any half decent fast guy can look good behind there. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How do you know if McDermott and company are giving Cook "a fair shake"..........are you at practice and seeing if he is doing his job?

The mother hen fans are ridiculous..........it's OK that he needs to earn playing time in small sample sizes.

And occasionally some players don't have the cognitive function to ever learn..........see CJ Spiller.

Im more curious why they keep him active if he isnt going to play.  Is it just in hopes that the Bills get a blowout and he can get some experience in garbage time?  Hearing things that he is distant and doesnt really make an effort doesnt really seem like the type of player McD would keep active.

6 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

And I'm not writing him off and calling him a bust because of a fumble and a dropped pass.

Cook's drop pass was one of many today.  Some had more than one and still got other opportunities to make up for it.  Cook had 1 target and somehow people are actually claiming he's a bust because of a fumble in game 1 and a dropped ball in game 4.

Unbelievable 

No where am i remotely eluding to him being a bust. 

Only said in his limited opps he has had mental errors and that hopefully he comes around soon because we need his dynamic ability.

He's a rookie,  it's been 4 games. My target for him has consistently been post-bye.

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There Is absolutely a learning curve to being an NFL running back

Learning protections is one of the hardest things to do in football… All the nuances 

If you can’t protect the quarterback you’re not getting on the field 

That is the biggest learning curve for all young running backs

That’s the excuse Chan always used as to why we wasted CJ Spillers first two years. 

7 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

You tell me considering other players and the coaching staff have been singing his praises since training camp.

Now you provide any evidence at all that shows he's been underperforming in practice.  That's nothing but pure speculation.

the evidence is that he's not playing.  football players and coaches always speak the truth?  might it be that Miller and co r trying to give the rook a boost cuz he's struggling?

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Im more curious why they keep him active if he isnt going to play.  Is it just in hopes that the Bills get a blowout and he can get some experience in garbage time?  Hearing things that he is distant and doesnt really make an effort doesnt really seem like the type of player McD would keep active.

because they  have invested a lot in him.  kinda like holding onto a falling knife equity.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That quote was from a few days ago but I did joke in the game day thread yesterday that the next time Beane spends a day 2 pick on a flubbing running back I'd fire him on the spot. I just watched Isaiah Pacheco a 7th rounder run for over 5 yards a pop for Kansas City behind an offensive line where they traded a 1st for a left tackle, signed a guard to a big FA deal and drafted a stud center on day 2. 

Improve your blocking and any half decent fast guy can look good behind there. 

It's upsetting how quickly/ easily KC revamped their offensive line.

We've been struggling to get out oline right since McDermott got here. I'm hoping our oline will get it together as the season progresses. 

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Remember the ham-handed former Bills TE Robert Royal?   When teams realized he couldn't catch a pass to save his life they literally stopped covering him.   That's McKenzie 25-30 yards upfield........a non-threat.

Wow, old memories. Once in Lot 1/Pole5  I mentioned to you that Royal was good at getting open. You then told me that teams stopped covering him and I didn't believe you, only because I didn't think that was possible.

Well, I had seats in the upper deck but front row at midfield. Royal was not covered at all. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and when a pass was thrown to him he dropped it.

Was there ever another receiver that teams could just totally ignore like this? 

• Like (+1) 1

Cook has made plenty of mistakes so far - fumble on first carry, 15 yard penalty when he pass protected (he went low and a lineman went high), and the drop yesterday.

However, he is a rookie so mistakes are to be expected, and he is a weapon we are going to need down the stretch. As good as Motor has been, getting Cook 5 receptions a game is probably going to be more productive than Motor because - at least in college - he can run routes further down the field as well as the shorter screen passes and dump offs Motor gets. And you can do this without even taking Motor off the field.

With Gabe hobbled, McKenzie likely going through protocol, and Crowder in a boot; we need more production from our offensive players we have sunk a good amount of resources into: Knox and Cook. Now is the time to get them involved and let them keep playing even if they make mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TailgateChef said:

Wow that speaks volumes.  I will try to make it early into the stadium next week and keep an eye on him during warm ups.

I don't wanna kill the guy.    When the entire RB group and QB's came out for their structured warm-ups, Cook participated like everyone else.  It was just his body language and not looking all that interested when he was out with McKenzie.  He has that demeanor of a chill guy that goes through the motions.  But, maybe behind the scenes he lives and breathes football, i don't know.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.