Worried about Cook……is it too early?

streetkings01

He legit has only like 12 or 13 carries on the season and has some nice receptions for yards when he’s been in.  He’s clearly to me in the doghouse because of his turnovers and not valuing the ball and any coach would bench a rookie for that right away.   

A couple things in his favor though are his speed and ability to catch.  He’s got tools and you can see that.  He’s also Dalvin Cook’s brother and has a pedigree and was able to show out in college to prove his own worth.  

Bottom line is that he needs time and more carries, but coming into more than one game in the first four games as a rookie and either fumbling or dropping passes immediately isn’t going to ingratiate a rookie to the head coach etc., especially in a potential Super Bowl season with close games.

Not worried, but I would like to see an actual plan for him. 

Seems we just throw him out there when the other two RB’s are being useless, and then he comes in cold and keeps messing up as well. 

That’s on him for not being ready, but everything about our running game/running backs feels disjointed right now. 

On the bright side, Shakir looked really good out there.  We needed the rookie to step up with no Kumerow or Crowder, along with a still hobbled Davis, and he did. 

You know, those of you who said he hasn't got enough opportunities or there isn't enough of a sample size, did you ever consider that maybe he's not getting that because of his effort and attitude? We don't see what is going on behind closed doors and player interactions between themselves and coaches. There has to be a reason why Moss is getting a bulk of the other carries and Cook hardly sniffs the ball.

I just cannot process how the scouts and McBeane got him this wrong... not in their nature to get a guy who lacks effort and passion. We shall see...

55 minutes ago, TailgateChef said:

??

Travis Henry, DeShaun Foster, Clinton Portis, MJD, Chris Henry, Ray Rice, Matt Forte, LeSean McCoy, Leveon Bell, Gio Bernard, Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook, Nick Chubb, Jonathan Taylor....

Not a lot of SB winners in that pile, are there?

Having a highly-invested-in RB has become a pretty accurate predictor that you will not win a SB with said player.

Reasons aren't that complicated..........the passing game drives the teams that score the most...........even the best receiving RB's are no substitute for a decent slot receiver in the passing game..........and in the playoffs the level of run defense wratchets up immensely so if you are compelled to give a "valuable" RB touches you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

You know, those of you who said he hasn't got enough opportunities or there isn't enough of a sample size, did you ever consider that maybe he's not getting that because of his effort and attitude? We don't see what is going on behind closed doors and player interactions between themselves and coaches. There has to be a reason why Moss is getting a bulk of the other carries and Cook hardly sniffs the ball.

I just cannot process how the scouts and McBeane got him this wrong... not in their nature to get a guy who lacks effort and passion. We shall see...

That's all conjecture.   You have no clue if he doesn't have passion.   He looked extremely bummed after his drop and previous fumble.   You could be right but that's 100% your opinion right now.

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not worried, but I would like to see an actual plan for him. 

If you gotta' make a special plan for a RB..........you haven't made a good personnel decision at RB. 

He just needs to not put the ball on the carpet and then start making plays when they give him the ball.

RB is far from a big concern with this team...........the lack of explosiveness at receiver has been the problem the past two weeks.    

Too many small plays.   Too many 3rd downs.  

Producing MORE small plays by giving the ball to RB's isn't a solution to scoring just 20 offensive points per game the past 2 weeks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

I know he’s a rookie……I get it, but RB is usually the one position where a rookie can make an impact from day #1 which Cook hasn’t. Add in the fact Beane/McDermott haven’t been great at evaluating RB’s either in the draft or free agency. He really needs to start showing he belongs in the NFL over the next couple weeks or we’ll start to see him inactive on game days.

He looks slow,  it looks like Isiah Pacheco picked in 7th round by Chiefs is the better player. He ran a 4.3 forty and making plays on both special teams and regular offence.  Its still early but I just don't see it with Cook 

He's in a weird spot. We aren't a running team and he's third string pretty much out of the gate despite being a relatively high pick from a good program. 

That said, something is obviously up. We can speculate all we want but we have no real idea. Eventually, the truth will come out. 

To answer the question, I'll be worried if he's still useless at the start of next year. Not everyone comes out of the gate as a rookie ready to go. 

Edited by VW82

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you gotta' make a special plan for a RB..........you haven't made a good personnel decision at RB. 

He just needs to not put the ball on the carpet and then start making plays when they give him the ball.

RB is far from a big concern with this team...........the lack of explosiveness at receiver has been the problem the past two weeks.    

Too many small plays.   Too many 3rd downs.  

Producing MORE small plays by giving the ball to RB's isn't a solution to scoring just 20 offensive points per game the past 2 weeks.

Dont disagree .. but Cook plays random downs once in a blue moon. 

Definitely agree on the lack of big play ability.  Clearly coinciding with Gabe Davis and his lingering ankle injury.  

Still hoping for Odell later in the season and then a high pick at WR in the draft.  Davis had a chance to squash all this talk but, so far, can’t stay healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

interesting observation. what i've seen of him gives me the impression he's not very motivated.  his affect is strange. we know he's not very smart based on his abysmal wonderlic score.  now you're giving some evidence of poor work ethic.  not a good combination.  many here are saying he's not getting enough touches. I expect that if the coaches were impressed with what he's shown in practices, preseason and limited regular season action, he'd be out there much more.  It's not like we have a stable of awesome backs for him to compete for playing time with.  It's early but so far, I've got to believe the coaching staff is disappointed.

Someone (scout) dropped the ball,  this guy seems like a slacker.  

37 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

interesting observation. what i've seen of him gives me the impression he's not very motivated.  his affect is strange. we know he's not very smart based on his abysmal wonderlic score.  now you're giving some evidence of poor work ethic.  not a good combination.  many here are saying he's not getting enough touches. I expect that if the coaches were impressed with what he's shown in practices, preseason and limited regular season action, he'd be out there much more.  It's not like we have a stable of awesome backs for him to compete for playing time with.  It's early but so far, I've got to believe the coaching staff is disappointed.

Who ever scouted this guy should be fired,  I am tired of wasting high picks on unproductive RB'S

3 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

rbs need touches  He gets in for a play and immediately back to the bench  Maybe give him a full series and see how he does

Fully agree, really hard to tell a rookie back "hey go make the most of 2 touches today" he goes out getting in his own head trying to do too much, let the guy get some momentum 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

That's all conjecture.   You have no clue if he doesn't have passion.   He looked extremely bummed after his drop and previous fumble.   You could be right but that's 100% your opinion right now.

You need to read what I said again before saying that... I NEVER SAID I knew one way or the other... I said that I CANNOT PROCESS HOW they could draft a guy like that, so ease up there, buddy.

2 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

If Sing fumbles, I think that he will regroup.  If Cook fumbles then it's a crapshoot.  I know that I'm not giving the rook a chance, and I own that.  Still, if you get a chance to do the little things in a game, I don't know, like catching a single pass, then do that.  If you get a chance to have a carry, don't fumble.  If you do those things then, as a rookie, on a comparably stacked team, you will get more chances.

With all the drops today and another RB who coughed up the ball, it's hard to believe your focus is on the 1 drop Cook had in his one target.

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Cook needs to make the most of his opportunities!! He's not in Georgia anymore

His opportunities? You mean opportunity considering he got 1 target today.  A RB did turn the ball over today and it wasn't Cook.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.