Worried about Cook……is it too early?

streetkings01

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I have a little observation about Cook from warmups today. I was in the front row by the Bills endzone where they were doing their pregame stuff.  

Cook and McKenzie came out around 12:25 with the kickers. McKenzie was shagging punts and kickoffs. Cook was milling around, doing nothing. Just chill. He watched a practice kickoff land right at his feet, he made no attempt to catch it. Mckenzie sorta looked at cook with his hands up like “dude, cmon, make an effort”.  I commented to my son, look at this guy Cook, he’s just slouching around making no effort to catch a practice punt or a KO.  I’m not even sure why he came out early. He talks to no one, he shows zero energy or juice. When he finally gets the ball in a game he drops it. I just don’t see a reason why he’s on the active roster right now.  I’m a firm believer you play how you practice. and he should’ve been handling the football at every opportunity in warm ups.

Wow that speaks volumes.  I will try to make it early into the stadium next week and keep an eye on him during warm ups.

7 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I have a little observation about Cook from warmups today. I was in the front row by the Bills endzone where they were doing their pregame stuff.  

Cook and McKenzie came out around 12:25 with the kickers. McKenzie was shagging punts and kickoffs. Cook was milling around, doing nothing. Just chill. He watched a practice kickoff land right at his feet, he made no attempt to catch it. Mckenzie sorta looked at cook with his hands up like “dude, cmon, make an effort”.  I commented to my son, look at this guy Cook, he’s just slouching around making no effort to catch a practice punt or a KO.  I’m not even sure why he came out early. He talks to no one, he shows zero energy or juice. When he finally gets the ball in a game he drops it. I just don’t see a reason why he’s on the active roster right now.  I’m a firm believer you play how you practice. and he should’ve been handling the football at every opportunity in warm ups.

That is absolutely troubling

• Like (+1) 1

No it's not too early. He's a RB. If they are good or even decent there is zero learning curve. 

You should never sign a RB to a second contract. Meaning when you draft them you do it knowing you are only getting 4 years. Meaning they better produce immediately.

It was a terrible pick when we made it and if the longer he goes without making an impact the worse it gets. 

I do place some blame on McClappy. They haven't given him a chance to get in any sort of rhythm. They'd rather watch Moss run into the behinds of our o lineman. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cook stats (link below):

1. Rams: 1 attempt - fumble

2. Titans: 11 attempts 53 yds (garbage time)

3. Miami: 1 attempt 3 yds. 4 catches 37 yds

4. Ravens: 1 pass attempt dropped.

Not a lot of opportunities, but got to do more w/ opportunities he gets. Very disappointing for a 2nd round pick.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4379399/james-cook

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A 2nd round pick on a RB is typically always a bad investment…

??

Travis Henry, DeShaun Foster, Clinton Portis, MJD, Chris Henry, Ray Rice, Matt Forte, LeSean McCoy, Leveon Bell, Gio Bernard, Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook, Nick Chubb, Jonathan Taylor....

Edited by TailgateChef
Change
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Process said:

No it's not too early. He's a RB. If they are good or even decent there is zero learning curve. 

You should never sign a RB to a second contract. Meaning when you draft them you do it knowing you are only getting 4 years. Meaning they better produce immediately.

It was a terrible pick when we made it and if the longer he goes without making an impact the worse it gets. 

I do place some blame on McClappy. They haven't given him a chance to get in any sort of rhythm. They'd rather watch Moss run into the behinds of our o lineman. 

There Is absolutely a learning curve to being an NFL running back

Learning protections is one of the hardest things to do in football… All the nuances 

If you can’t protect the quarterback you’re not getting on the field 

That is the biggest learning curve for all young running backs

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, zow2 said:

To hear that is definitely concerning.  However, count me among those who feel like it's still way too early to label him a bust, or give up on him.  Yes, his fumble game one was a costly one, and his drop today was as well.  I feel like had he made that catch he could've gained some serious yardage.  But let's be honest, it's pretty obvious from the few touches he HAS gotten, he's shown a real burst of speed, that extra gear that both Motor AND Moss lack, which is reason for excitement.  I don't doubt the fumble and the drop may have shaken his confidence, but I believe that once the game slows down for him, and 2)the coaches give him more touches, that he still has the potential to be our RB1. 

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Learning protections is one of the hardest things to do in football… All the nuances 

That's not what he was talking about IMO.  He was saying you can see what the kids have immediately.  So far Cook has shown nothing.

39 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Cook fumbled against LA, he got benched.  Singletary coughs it up today, keeps playing. Let's not act like Cook has gotten a fair shake so far and anyone trying to claim he sucks based on a couple touches each game 4 games into the season doesn't know what they're talking about.

How do you know if McDermott and company are giving Cook "a fair shake"..........are you at practice and seeing if he is doing his job?

The mother hen fans are ridiculous..........it's OK that he needs to earn playing time in small sample sizes.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

And occasionally some players don't have the cognitive function to ever learn..........see CJ Spiller.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

That's not what he was talking about IMO.  He was saying you can see what the kids have immediately.  So far Cook has shown nothing.

He hasn’t been on the field enough to get into a groove to show anything

In week two in limited time he had 11 for 53

58 minutes ago, zow2 said:

interesting observation. what i've seen of him gives me the impression he's not very motivated.  his affect is strange. we know he's not very smart based on his abysmal wonderlic score.  now you're giving some evidence of poor work ethic.  not a good combination.  many here are saying he's not getting enough touches. I expect that if the coaches were impressed with what he's shown in practices, preseason and limited regular season action, he'd be out there much more.  It's not like we have a stable of awesome backs for him to compete for playing time with.  It's early but so far, I've got to believe the coaching staff is disappointed.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

He played in his first regular season game against Tennessee and had 2 targets and 0 catches.

I check that and you are correct.  I didn't see him in the Titans game. Probably partying too much during that game.  

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

Cook fumbled against LA, he got benched.  Singletary coughs it up today, keeps playing. Let's not act like Cook has gotten a fair shake so far and anyone trying to claim he sucks based on a couple touches each game 4 games into the season doesn't know what they're talking about.

Singletary has earned the respect not to be bench for fumble/drop.   He had a good game.

Maybe Cook fumbles in practice or maybe the coaches don't like the way he prepares?  He is definitely getting the rookie treatment from the coaches.  I want him to get more chances too.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.