Revisiting the Gabe Davis dropped TD against Miami

Einstein

It was not a touchdown because the receiver was falling to the ground before the second point of contact (in this case 2nd foot). As a rule, the possession must be retained throughout contact with the ground. Davis was never going to the ground, so 2 points of contact with football move was the requirement.

The two plays are comparing apples to oranges.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, nkreed said:

It was not a touchdown because the receiver was falling to the ground before the second point of contact (in this case 2nd foot). As a rule, the possession must be retained throughout contact with the ground. Davis was never going to the ground, so 2 points of contact with football move was the requirement.

The two plays are comparing apples to oranges.

I thought the league got rid of the “surviving the ground” rule? I’m pretty sure they changed that a few years ago.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I thought the league got rid of the “surviving the ground” rule? I’m pretty sure they changed that a few years ago.

They did get rid of the rule, but for whatever reason, it hasn't really gone away.

I think the better topic when talking about Gabe is that it's pretty clear he is not healthy.  A complete non-factor the last 2 games.  He should sit until he's actually healthy and can make positive contributions.  If he's playing hurt, playing is only going to prolong it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Einstein said:

A challenge definitely would not have worked. This Packers receiver had 2 feet down & 2 elbows down (before the ball came out), and it was still marked incomplete. 

That is a different scenario as the Green Bay player fell to ground bringing in the rule that he needs to survive impact with the ground whereas Davis did not fall down so that part would have not come into play.

I don't believe Davis' was a TD tho, he had it knocked away.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

Agree. If the ground can't cause a fumble then this should be a TD. 

The ground can't cause a fumble in this case bc only ball that is a catch can be fumbled. 

I hate this rule on plays like this, but the ground can most definitely cause an incompletion. 

37 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The rules are subjective.

The rule literally states that a receiver needs the time equivalent to make a football move. How much time even is that!?

The rule is subjective but the Davis no. Catch was a very clear no catch.  Challenging that is a sucker move.   The GB game was closer but even that is not a catch.  

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That is a different scenario as the Green Bay player fell to ground bringing in the rule that he needs to survive impact with the ground whereas Davis did not fall down so that part would have not come into play.

I don't believe Davis' was a TD tho, he had it knocked away.

They got rid of the rule about surviving the ground.

A few years ago.

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I told you last week. And I knew as soon as I saw the Doubs one that wasn't a touchdown. 

The rule is pretty clear and applied consistently. Whether the rule is right is a different question. 

I have no problem admitting when i’m wrong. I actually enjoy it. That’s the way people grow!

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

A challenge definitely would not have worked. This Packers receiver had 2 feet down & 2 elbows down (before the ball came out), and it was still marked incomplete. 

Not saying Davis challenge would have won but this is a completely different circumstance.  Can't compare a ball getting punched out after the catch to a guy diving and losing the ball hitting the ground. 

Hilarious how they stopped the video and didn't show the play through. It wasn't even a question that this wasn't a catch.  He barely had the ball for a split second. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

I have no problem admitting when i’m wrong. I actually enjoy it. That’s the way people grow!

The one thing worse than being wrong is knowing you are wrong and digging in anyway. We all get stuff wrong when we have strong opinions. No shame there. Good on you for owning it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.