Paul Chryst Fired!

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It would be smart. Didn’t he originally come from Wisconsin-whitewater before he came to UB?

He did. With an incredible record in D-III.

But I hope not. 

KU has needed a football coach since they fired Mark Mangino. It isn't a coincidence when people say..."this is the first time KU has won 4 games since 2009", that it was the Mangino era. Though its a basketball school, obviously, it would be bad to see them competitive in football.  For the first time in forever, they sold out their last 2 games.

In terms of contract, Leipold is signed through 2027, originally signing in 2021 with another year added this fall.  There is a buy out clause going in both directions.  If he's fired, he gets some money, if he goes elsewhere, KU gets some money.  He gets a few million a year, but nowhere near what the bigger name coaches are getting. 

I don't know what the NCAA rules are as far as contacting a coach under contract with another school.  I have the feeling they'd look the other way, even if it is against the rules.

I could understand why the guy would leave, Im sure it would be his dream job.  In that sense, it would be like when Roy Williams left KU for North Carolina. 

I just hope he sticks around.

1 hour ago, CookieG said:

He did. With an incredible record in D-III.

But I hope not. 

KU has needed a football coach since they fired Mark Mangino. It isn't a coincidence when people say..."this is the first time KU has won 4 games since 2009", that it was the Mangino era. Though its a basketball school, obviously, it would be bad to see them competitive in football.  For the first time in forever, they sold out their last 2 games.

In terms of contract, Leipold is signed through 2027, originally signing in 2021 with another year added this fall.  There is a buy out clause going in both directions.  If he's fired, he gets some money, if he goes elsewhere, KU gets some money.  He gets a few million a year, but nowhere near what the bigger name coaches are getting. 

I don't know what the NCAA rules are as far as contacting a coach under contract with another school.  I have the feeling they'd look the other way, even if it is against the rules.

I could understand why the guy would leave, Im sure it would be his dream job.  In that sense, it would be like when Roy Williams left KU for North Carolina. 

I just hope he sticks around.

And College Gameday will be in Lawrence, Kansas for the first time this Saturday.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/3/2022 at 2:14 PM, Bandito said:

Paul Chryst Records at Wisconsin:

2015: 10-3

2016: 11-3

2017: 13-1

2018: 8-5

2019: 10-4

2020: 4-3

2021: 9-4

This firing does not make much sense to me, especially with a buyout of $16.4 million given to him to not work!

Perhaps Wisconsin was afraid Leonhard would leave to go to Nebraska or somewhere else at the end of the year?

This isn’t the NFL, Wisconsin is expected to compete for Big 10 titles. They have been clearly behind the last few years. It was he right move. As a Big 10 guy, the conference is a lot more interesting when Wisconsin is a a top 10 team. 

On 10/12/2022 at 10:14 PM, KzooMike said:

This isn’t the NFL, Wisconsin is expected to compete for Big 10 titles. They have been clearly behind the last few years. It was he right move. As a Big 10 guy, the conference is a lot more interesting when Wisconsin is a a top 10 team. 

The problem is despite their limitations in recruiting the lopsided nature of the Big 10 divisions should be a cakewalk for Wisconsin every year to make the Big 10 title game which they haven't been doing lately. They need to realign the Big 10 divisions but I assume UCLA/USC will be going into the western division

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.