Around the NFL - NFL Games (other than Bills) Week #4 Discussion Thread

ColoradoBills

7 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

For the defensive strategy posters. What's the best way to stop the "scramble and sidearm throw" that Mahomes always does? Lamar pulled it on us today too. 

Mahomes is spectacular at the scramble within the pocket move.  He doesn’t need to move much to create extra space.

honeslty, you tell your rushers to not leave their feet and focus on playing through the chest.  Every time you have a shot at the chest you take it and you follow through.  Making Mahomes rush is the only way to really defend anything he does.  Similar to Allen.  Get him thinking about the throw.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

For the defensive strategy posters. What's the best way to stop the "scramble and sidearm throw" that Mahomes always does? Lamar pulled it on us today too. 

What I’ve noticed is when he scrambles he wants you to over run it with him so he can throw it back towards the middle. It’s like a zone run play. You want to have a backside defender pursuing through the alley for a cut back. 

it’s the same for Mahomes when he does this except for it’s a pass. The LBs need to sit behind the play instead of trying to chase down Mahomes. That takes a lot of discipline 

We're 4 weeks in and it seems that both the Broncos and Colts definitely suck. Quite the change from 2 months ago.

Wilson has an outside shot at supplanting Cutler as Denver's most hated QB of all time. Things aren't going well here. God it was so hilarious when a ton of talking heads were ranking Denver right up there with Buffalo and KC before the season started. It seemed so obvious that Wilson was a weird, aging question mark and that their talent was limited.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

We're 4 weeks in and it seems that both the Broncos and Colts definitely suck. Quite the change from 2 months ago.

Wilson has an outside shot at supplanting Cutler as Denver's most hated QB of all time. Things aren't going well here. God it was so hilarious when a ton of talking heads were ranking Denver right up there with Buffalo and KC before the season started. It seemed so obvious that Wilson was a weird, aging question mark and that their talent was limited.

My biggest question with Denver was always coaching.  

For all of the complaining Wilson did in Seattle - I think Pete Carroll was the perfect coach for him and did a ton to let him sort of play the loose, free style he plays.

Without Pete and on a poorly coached team - things fall on Russ that in Seattle just got deflected away and this has shone a spotlight on that odd personality that Wilson has.

In my gut - I think Wilson is an over the top introvert that is playing in the most extroverted position in major league sports and the move to Denver is not going to end well as Russ is not the leader people expected.  

• Simon unpinned this topic

New England -- Packers game

If you saw the play where BB went ballistic toward the end of the game, can someone explain the clock?

As I recall, Rodgers throws all the way to endzone.  Looks like a completion, but then ruled incomplete.  The clock continues to run and is finally stopped at 2:02 as I recall.  They never put time back on the clock and BB was losing his mind, rightfully so.

1 hour ago, wjag said:

New England -- Packers game

If you saw the play where BB went ballistic toward the end of the game, can someone explain the clock?

As I recall, Rodgers throws all the way to endzone.  Looks like a completion, but then ruled incomplete.  The clock continues to run and is finally stopped at 2:02 as I recall.  They never put time back on the clock and BB was losing his mind, rightfully so.

He was mad because they reset the play clock when there was no delay to the play one of them.

Edited by Scott7975

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

He was mad because they reset the play clock when there was no delay to the play one of them.

Bill should shut up because a play clock malfunction directly lead to a Pats TD when it should have been delay of game.

Jaguars-Eagles game

Saw this in person in crap conditions, and it wasn't pleasant.  I'm not a fan - go for family.    

Takeaway:  The Eagles can run the football like a team from the 1980s consistently, and unless you've got a defense that can stop the run for all 4 quarters, they will eventually break your back with 60 running plays. They have a stonecutter mentality with the run game - they will eventually break through.

Kansas City still looks like the team to beat in the AFC to me.

watching them last night all I could think was “ugh, we have to get through them in the playoffs…”.

I sure wish Mahomes played in the NFC. New Orleans was ready to take him at #11 if we hadn’t traded that #10 pick to KC 🤦‍♂️

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.