NFL WEEK #4 - Bills at Ravens - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

2 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

It’s probably been mentioned, but this thread is up to 39 pages, so: do the Bills have a QB sneak in their playbook?

4th and one, your QB is 6-5, 240+ lbs and he rolls out to the left then has to outmaneuver defenders and runs about 30 yards to get the first down?  He should be able to lean left or right of the center and pick up a yard.  Great run to watch but it’s ridiculous to not run a sneak.

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah, I really dont know why the hell they dont run the QB sneak anymore.  Josh Allen is money with it and honestly almost all QBs are money with it because success rate is high across the NFL.  Its like we had one bad time against the Titans last year and they took it out of the playbook.

Think it has to do with the OL. They just aren't a run blocking OL and Morse, who Josh would be running behind, just doesn't get that push up front. I think they know they can't do it.

2 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Think it has to do with the OL. They just aren't a run blocking OL and Morse, who Josh would be running behind, just doesn't get that push up front. I think they know they can't do it.

They definitely use to be able to do it.  I couldn't find the data for 2020 but  In 2018 and 2019 Allen was 23 out of 24 QB sneaks which was the best in the NFL

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/06/08/pro-football-focus-josh-allen-qb-sneak/

This was behind Russell Bodine and Ryan Groy as center in 2018 and Mitch Morse in 2019.   One hopes that this season's O-line is better than the 2018 o-line.  That season Vlad Ducasse was the Bills' highest rated interior lineman according to PFF.

1 hour ago, BritBill said:

It’s not. The old resign/re-sign debacle is universal. 

Also the refs/NFL is out to get us.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah, I really dont know why the hell they dont run the QB sneak anymore.  Josh Allen is money with it and honestly almost all QBs are money with it because success rate is high across the NFL.  Its like we had one bad time against the Titans last year and they took it out of the playbook.

Yeah it's weird I've thought the same thing.  Esp when it's just inches you fall forward into a gap - just look at Brady who has 1/100th the strength and athleticism of Josh, but has been automatic his whole career regardless what the OL was.  Unfortunately against the Titans there was no gap where he went.  Contrary to popular opinion, he didn't miss the sneak because he slipped or someone missed an assignment on the OL, he "slipped" after the Titans DT lined up in the exact gap they had run the sneak a number of times previous, and Dawkins had no chance to get any leverage to move the DT - he was already there and Josh ran right into him.  It seems more art than science (or brute strngth) - get up, snap quick, and recognize and get low and lean forward into the right gap.  No idea why they seem to have taken it out of the playbook.

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Credit to Howard and Jeremy this morning.   They are 💯 on point discussing the offensive issues/frustrations this morning. 

Watching it live, it's always tough to see what is really happening.  But the general sense I had was for all our glowing raves of bringing back Kromer, a game like yesterday was when we really needed to see if improvements were being made.  And it was tough sledding.  I did here that the entire OLINE was finally back together so maybe just not having a lot of live fire reps can explain some of that.  We shall see. 

I still cant believe Harbaugh didn't kick the FG to take the lead. Who cares as it worked out for the Bills. The INT was "the play" within the play. Got the Bills out to the 20 instead of starting at the 2. This game will most likely get replayed on the NFLN this week. Hopefully 8:00 either Tuesday or Wed night. It always nice to re-watch exciting games especially when the Bills win them.

9 minutes ago, gridirongold said:

Harbaugh says if you look at the analytics of it, I understand why we did it.  Hmm. So you didn't do it? Guess this could be the year. Maybe the leauge had them go for it. Rigged NFL but I still like it.

I didn't realize the Ravens have lost five in a row at home.  Dating back to last year:

Packers 31 Ravens 30

Rams 20 Ravens 19

Steelers 16 Ravens 13

Dolphins 42 Ravens 38

Bills 23 Ravens 20

And now here comes the Bengals on SNF

In most of those games he relied on analytics and they have backfired.  Live on the altar of analytics die on the altar..

Edited by wjag

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.