NFL WEEK #4 - Bills at Ravens - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

8 minutes ago, folz said:

I basically agree with you on the roughing the passer call, I didn't think they would throw the flag for it. By technical rule, it may indeed have been roughing the passer (it it was late; and it's hard to tell from the camera angle where the defender's helmet hit Josh---possibly on the chin), but most often probably not called. Yet, there is also the visual aspect of a db trying to tackle Josh. It just doesn't look very violent because Josh is such a big dude. If it was another, smaller QB it may have looked worse and been called...it just doesn't look as bad when it happens to Josh.

But the real reason for my response is to your post above...to give specifics on the bad calls that went against us. You act as if the roughing the passer call was the only bad call in the game and determined the outcome. There was a lot more going on in this game.

In the first half, the first and second Buffalo offensive drives ended on a third down pass play that both should have been called for PI (the first series was to Knox, the second series was to McKenzie). Those two non-calls stalled Buffalo's first two drives, and they were both obvious...a defender arriving too early and playing through the receiver (not bang/bang plays as they often say). And there was also an obvious roughing the passer call (helmet to helmet hit) on Josh in the first half that wasn't called. There was also the defenseless receiver on McKenzie that wasn't called.

And then to add insult to injury, the major non-holding call right in front of the ref on a Baltimore third down that ended up going for 20+ yards because of no flag. 

To me, in the first half alone, we lost 3 first downs and probably 45+ yards (who knows what that would have equated to in points), and the Ravens were given an extra first down and 30+ yards (20 on the pass play, and should have been -10 for holding) all on bad calls by the refs. Plus the refs were letting the Ravens hold and grab a lot in the first half. They finally started calling the Ravens on it in the second (of course on two plays that we converted the first down anyways and declined the penalties).

In the second half then, we got two calls our way. Poyer should have had a PI that the refs didn't call, and then the roughing the QB call that was a bit of a gift.

So, by my tally (not counting any other possible holding calls for either team), the Ravens still had a 5-2 advantage in bad calls going their way.

Overall, a horrible and inconsistently called game by the refs today, for both teams.

I appreciate this well thought out and detailed post. I am no longer commenting on the subject matter. I've been taking to the woodshed and back. So in everyone's best interest I'm shutting up.

Just wanted to thank you for you post. It was really well thought out and professional. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 hours ago, MPT said:

It was soft but it wasn't any less than they've been calling in recent years. The one against Milano on Tua might have been the softest one of all time but that's how they call them now. 

It seems most people missed why the flag was thrown -certainly the clown announcer did.

The guy who hit Allen did so with a forearm to the chops (face mask). It always draw a flag.

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't care about the MVP race. At home on 4th down Harbough should have kicked the FG.

#3 was the BS roughing the passer call was huge!

One day you’ll actually watch a game. I have faith.🙄

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Simon said:

Neither team is allowed to go low like that on a pick/fumble return, but it's perfectly legal on a typical play where there's no change of possession.

Not true. The NFL changed that rule a year or two ago. It is illegal to cut block an offensive/defensive player outside of the box.

Edited by Hsker4life

52 minutes ago, Process said:

Took a peek at the Ravens message board...can't believe how many of their fans are questioning the decision to go for it at the end. 

It was the right decision, not even debatable IMO. 

Can't be results oriented. 

You can’t throw an int in the end zone there though…that tilts the scales heavily towards ‘shouldn’t have gone for it’

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

8 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

On the interception in the end zone they almost can't blame him because Milano POYER was like at the midpoint of the end zone and he ran all the way to the corner while that ball was in motion

fify

8 hours ago, stevewin said:

The run by Josh to get the first down but not score was crazy - such awareness of knowing exactly where to go and then actually get to that small area with such small margin, and do it in a pile of bodies

Pure Unicorn 

8 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’d much much rather seen Shakir out there than Crowder who hasn’t shown much of anything. Shakir is going to be a good one. 

You’re gonna get your wish. Crowder was carried off the field and left after the game on crutches wearing a walking boot.

Imagine being a Baltimore fan and being up by double digit scores in two games and then losing at the end.   

Every team now knows this and it will rear its ugly head every time they’re up big in the 1st half.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

fify

Pure Unicorn 

You’re gonna get your wish. Crowder was carried off the field and left after the game on crutches wearing a walking boot.

Every team now knows this and it will rear its ugly head every time they’re up big in the 1st half.

thanks for correcting my blonde moment.  not sure why i had milano on the brain...  as a side thought..what happened to early to bed...early to rise?  😃

• Haha (+1) 1

On the interception in the end zone they almost can't blame him because Milano was like at the midpoint of the end zone and he ran all the way to the corner while that ball was in motion

Kind of felt like a trap, like he was seemingly left open as bait.

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

I'm usually non a fan of Mumbles' crew but they weren't terrible today. The same play that ended a Bills drive when a Raven went through McKenzie just a beat before the ball arrived without a PI flag, that was a mirror image of Poyer arriving just a hair early later in the game that the Ravens fans are freaking out about. So it was a consistent standard there, what's there to cry about?

For as many times as the Ravens got away with clocking Allen in the head - and they were making a point of it all game, every time they got near him - Allen lobbied to watch for it. And when the guy came in late at the end, Allen made sure the helmet to the chin snapped his head back. Whether it hit hard, hit soft, or missed, it was set up by all the liberties they were taking all game long. It's annoying how the replay shows are taking that one play of context and smacking their lips and going "ahhh I don't know if that's a penalty" as if that happened on a down where the Ravens would otherwise have gotten a stop without the call. It's disingenuous and meant only to stir up the syrup.

Per the bold, if Ravens fans are upset about the play Poyer made, they should acquaint themselves with the rule book. Poyer has just as much of a right to make a play on the ball as the receiver does, which is exactly what he did. Unlike Poyer, the Ravens DB who clocked McKenzie did no such thing. As far from a “mirror image” as can be. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Now that I've watched Poyer's postgame interview...pretty obvious to me that his injury question dismissal of merely getting "the wind knocked out" of him is TOTAL BS. He definitely either tweaked his previous elbow injury, suffered new shoulder and/or rib damage, or I'm just wrong. His answer in the press conference felt obviously disingenuous. So rushed. 

A win is a win. We take it.

We were behind 17 points, shut down MVP QB Lamar Jackson in the 2nd half of a game for the 2nd time in his career, to come back to win on the road.

We da real deal Bills.

Our running back core is abysmal though. OMG. There is nothing the coaches and management can do about that at this point. Just air it out. And unfortunately, Josh Allen has to use his legs, too. *shrugs* oh well.

Our defense remains number one in the NFL. That's hot.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It’s probably been mentioned, but this thread is up to 39 pages, so: do the Bills have a QB sneak in their playbook?

4th and one, your QB is 6-5, 240+ lbs and he rolls out to the left then has to outmaneuver defenders and runs about 30 yards to get the first down?  He should be able to lean left or right of the center and pick up a yard.  Great run to watch but it’s ridiculous to not run a sneak.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BobbyC81 said:

It’s probably been mentioned, but this thread is up to 39 pages, so: do the Bills have a QB sneak in their playbook?

4th and one, your QB is 6-5, 240+ lbs and he rolls out to the left then has to outmaneuver defenders and runs about 30 yards to get the first down?  He should be able to lean left or right of the center and pick up a yard.  Great run to watch but it’s ridiculous to not run a sneak.

Yeah, I really dont know why the hell they dont run the QB sneak anymore.  Josh Allen is money with it and honestly almost all QBs are money with it because success rate is high across the NFL.  Its like we had one bad time against the Titans last year and they took it out of the playbook.

37 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

34 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah, I really dont know why the hell they dont run the QB sneak anymore.  Josh Allen is money with it and honestly almost all QBs are money with it because success rate is high across the NFL.  Its like we had one bad time against the Titans last year and they took it out of the playbook.

They have struggled many times with the QB sneak.  Most notably the game against Tennessee at the goal line, but other times prior to that.

Mitch is not a big bruising center and Josh has issues taking the snap like that from under center and the two have caused issues even in games where he has gotten the first down like Dallas on Thanksgiving.

In addition Josh has taken some big shots in QB sneak situations - I think his height and size makes him a bit awkward and he does not get that surprise snap and lean.

Early years he was consistently good at getting first downs, but as the OL has struggled in the run game his ability to burrow forward has not been as good and they have been stopped - so I think they have sort of pulled it from the playbook for now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.