Chad Kelly still blames everyone else

Dan Darragh

25 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

And if we are honest, Chad's natural body and talent (which makes up 98% of what you need) is just not enough.

There are a million OUTSTANDING athletes in this country who never touch the NFL, despite being standouts their entire lives and great athletes relative to the general population.

Why do they fail?  Just not quite big enough, tall enough, strong enough, fast enough, talented enough.

The guys in the NFL truly are the ultra elite of the elite.

And Chad just ain't in that group.

Chad Kelly is absolutely an NFL quality athlete for the QB position..........not sure how you can watch the rest of the QB's not named Allen in the AFC East and think he's not big enough, tall enough, strong enough, fast enough, talented enough.    

He's a bad decision maker.    His uncle Jim was a total douchebag in his late teens and early twenties too...........but the fact that Jim had similar talent and could take a beating in the pocket made him a must have commodity for pro football despite his personality.   Guys like Mac, Tua and Wilson probably don't make it out of the college ranks in 1980-1982.  

It's fair to supremely doubt that Chad Kelly will ever succeed in any kind of pro football..........but I will say that there is often a learning curve for US athletes joining the CFL.    It's a significantly different game.   I wish the guy luck.   If he gets it together he could play a very long time up there with his physical gifts.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

And that's a City of thing, not Town of thing.

:P

At least it’s not a North Tonawanda thing.

And since when is St. Joe’s in Tonawanda (Wikipedia)? I went to the St. Joe’s in Kenmore for four years, was I in the wrong place?

45 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

And if we are honest, Chad's natural body and talent (which makes up 98% of what you need) is just not enough.

There are a million OUTSTANDING athletes in this country who never touch the NFL, despite being standouts their entire lives and great athletes relative to the general population.

Why do they fail?  Just not quite big enough, tall enough, strong enough, fast enough, talented enough.

The guys in the NFL truly are the ultra elite of the elite.

And Chad just ain't in that group.

Mac Jones says hi.

He doesn’t really seem like he’s changed all that much.

a few quotes:

What do you say when people ask what happened to Chad Kelly?

“He didn’t give himself a chance to have a chance,” he said quickly. “And when I say that, we’ll call it a little bit of self-sabotage, going back to when we really look at things.”

“I grew up playing the game,” said Kelly. “A lot of these guys don’t have the pedigree I have. A lot of these guys didn’t grow up being on the sidelines and watching pro football. They didn’t have the chance to go out and throw with NFL receivers every week back in high school. I had a different upbringing, where I didn’t plan to go to college football. I didn’t know what college football was. All I knew was NFL football, and ‘how do I get to the NFL?’”

He was 2 years old when Jim Kelly retired… ⬆️ 

Chad Kelly said his father, Kevin, has always been his biggest fan. He also worked as a night manager at a local supermarket when Chad was growing up. He said his father would get home from work in the morning, then grab a nap after dinner.

“I kind of had to be the man of the house,” said Chad. “I always thought I had to be bigger, in the aspect of being strong.”

🤷‍♂️

Kelly identified as “a blue-collar guy,” and felt like he had to adhere to a code: “I need to be strong like that — If someone’s talking ***** about my uncle, I need to go ahead and handle that.”

Even in Toronto, he can feel it. Kelly has played only sparingly in his first CFL season.

“I want to feel strong again,” he said. “I want to go to kickboxing. I want to do boxing. I need to do something, to feel my physical-ness is ready to be tested.

“As a grown man, that’s what you want. You want to test your strength. And right now, it’s tough. When someone tests you outside of here, you’re like: ‘Damn, I got a lot of energy built up. I’m ready to go. But that’s just who I am.”

🤦‍♂️

“Anytime anything revolves around Chad Kelly, Jim Kelly’s nephew, it breaks the internet.” 

this is a direct quote from Chad

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

He’s squandered many changes, but I wish him the best. I don’t think he was ever going to be a star QB, that’s the mistake some seem to make in assuming. I hope he fully turned things around, and keeps himself out of trouble. Kelly’s the backup QB for a CFL team, he’s doing better than a lot of guys his age. If that’s considered a “failure”, you haven’t seen much real failure. He’s had troubles, but maybe he’ll eventually become a responsible adult. 

True,Ryan Leaf turned the corner. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Amazon Warehouse needs somewhere to draw employees from.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Chad Kelly is absolutely an NFL quality athlete for the QB position..........not sure how you can watch the rest of the QB's not named Allen in the AFC East and think he's not big enough, tall enough, strong enough, fast enough, talented enough.    

He's a bad decision maker.    His uncle Jim was a total douchebag in his late teens and early twenties too...........but the fact that Jim had similar talent and could take a beating in the pocket made him a must have commodity for pro football despite his personality.   Guys like Mac, Tua and Wilson probably don't make it out of the college ranks in 1980-1982.  

It's fair to supremely doubt that Chad Kelly will ever succeed in any kind of pro football..........but I will say that there is often a learning curve for US athletes joining the CFL.    It's a significantly different game.   I wish the guy luck.   If he gets it together he could play a very long time up there with his physical gifts.

I sit 4 rows behind Jim Kelly in section 134. He has like 8 seats. Chad was at one of the games a few years ago. He was all decked out in Bills gear, the legit NFL gear. I was surprised at how small he looked without a uniform on. He was a beast at Ole Miss, but he did not look like an NFL athlete at that game. And of course he was boozin it up with his buddies.

6 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Could be a Tonawanda thing.

Did i  hear banjo music?

Can't blame your family for your failures when your younger brother is a 2nd string TE who has started at Ole Miss and has made the Honor roll academically every year he has been there. Casey seems to have his life in order to some extent. Probably wont play pro ball but he'll be a bigger success in the game of life.

Gonna say what I always do when he comes up.  Is he entitled, probably.  Has he made some really dumb mistakes, yes.

But he has also done a lot of good for kids through Kelly Camp and works with the ARC of Erie and Niagara Counties.   Gotta give him credit for some of the good too.   Everyone has their stuff.  His is just a lot more public.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.