Chad Kelly still blames everyone else

Dan Darragh

Interesting article about Chad Kelly in The Athletic. https://theathletic.com/3642208/2022/09/30/chad-kelly-cfl-toronto-argonauts/ (paywall)

The long and the short of it is he's a backup up in Toronto and still blames everyone else for his problems, his dad worked night shift, his uncle cast a big shadow.  Even when he blames himself for something he talks about himself in the third person.

If he was half as good as his hype he'd be setting the CFL on fire.  Meanwhile he's only attempted 4 passes in 13 games.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

He talks about how hard it is to stay out of fights and how he’d rather “spend time at home with an acquaintance” than go out drinking. Not very believable phrasing.

Way too many people I grew up with in Buffalo never got anywhere because of constant drinking and partying. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

He’s squandered many changes, but I wish him the best. I don’t think he was ever going to be a star QB, that’s the mistake some seem to make in assuming. I hope he fully turned things around, and keeps himself out of trouble. Kelly’s the backup QB for a CFL team, he’s doing better than a lot of guys his age. If that’s considered a “failure”, you haven’t seen much real failure. He’s had troubles, but maybe he’ll eventually become a responsible adult. 

35 minutes ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Goes to show you how many different elements have to work together for someone to get to the top of the QB game

Arm talent and raw athleticism are table stakes.  

And if we are honest, Chad's natural body and talent (which makes up 98% of what you need) is just not enough.

There are a million OUTSTANDING athletes in this country who never touch the NFL, despite being standouts their entire lives and great athletes relative to the general population.

Why do they fail?  Just not quite big enough, tall enough, strong enough, fast enough, talented enough.

The guys in the NFL truly are the ultra elite of the elite.

And Chad just ain't in that group.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

He’s squandered many changes, but I wish him the best. I don’t think he was ever going to be a star QB, that’s the mistake some seem to make in assuming. I hope he fully turned things around, and keeps himself out of trouble. Kelly’s the backup QB for a CFL team, he’s doing better than a lot of guys his age. If that’s considered a “failure”, you haven’t seen much real failure. He’s had troubles, but maybe he’ll eventually become a responsible adult. 

You set a mighty low bar.  By this measure, if you're not drugged out or pushing old ladies in front of subway trains, you're not a failure.

The really is the crappiest generation ever.

Edited by Dan Darragh

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.