Breaking News: Doctor that cleared Tua in concussion protocol is fired...

Protocal69

20 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If ‘The Doctor’ is working the Medical Tent, then he is the one making the call. Who else is to blame? Do you think that the team has a secret ‘if Tua gets a concussion?’ Policy in advance?

Well… based on the eye test alone, one could question the team doctors, the head coach, the owner, teammates, Tua, etc.   He left the game with a head injury. He couldn’t stand on his own. He came back into the game after revising from a head injury to a back injury. Then they proceed to test him for concussions the following days… why?   You don’t think there was anything fishy (no pun intended) going on?  I sure do. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Pete said:

one astute poster raised a great point.  The NFL was buying bull#### that is was a back and ankle injury.  Why didn't the NFL and Dolphins give back ankle tests and updates?

If I was a reporter, I would ask Miami coach- "I's got to know.  how is Tuas back?  He was obviously hurt.  How is Tuas ankle?"

Also if they didnt think it was a concussion then why did they check him throughout the week for a concussion?  If they were concerned enough that they doubted the initial prognosis then there should have been enough doubt to keep him out of the rest of the Bills game and put him in protocol.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The UNC doctor and the team physician both make the call.

Buffalo Channel 7 has this article that is short and concise of the procedures.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/faq-what-actually-happens-when-an-nfl-player-enters-concussion-protocol

I do like this part.

If the NFL Commissioner determines that a medical team failed to follow the protocol in order to win a game, the Commissioner can require the team to forfeit draft picks and impose fines that can exceed the amounts above.

Theres even a better part.  The NFL already issued a statement days ago that said Miami followed protocol.

Another interesting thing I found is that this is not the first time protocol was in question for Miami and it was found that they didnt follow protocol then either:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-statement-on-matt-moore-concussion-protocol-review-0ap3000000779128

Heres a snip

The Miami Dolphins were notified in a letter co-signed by Dr. Hunt Batjer, Co-Chair of the NFL Head, Neck & Spine Committee and Dr. Thom Mayer, Medical Director for the NFLPA, that the NFL-NFLPA review determined that the Protocol was not strictly followed. The letter further advised the Dolphins that they must engage their staff in a full review of the Protocol and conduct additional education, if necessary. The Dolphins were also advised that any future deviation from the Protocol may result in enhanced discipline, including monetary fines assessed against the Club.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Fyi, there is a pretty good conversation on this, in the NFLPA investigation thread.  

I agree, the Dolphins are going to try and hide behind this. 

Dolphins kinda should hide behind this. If this independent doctor is saying Tua was fine, you would think the dolphins would just rely on that. 

I am curious how this works though behind the scenes— does the team doctor just defer to the independent guy? Do they examine him together and consult with each other? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

DeMaurice Smith is a moron. He fires this guy which gives a perfect scapegoat for the league and Dolphins. He should have been attacking the protocol and the team.

Oh, I'm sure he is. He doesn't have the power to fire team doctors like he did the UNC. I'm sure this is just Step 1. I'd be shocked if the Team Doctor survives this and the Dolphins don't face consequences. As minimal as Offense 1 violation punishment is.

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

this one?

That looks an awful lot like his finger contortion against the Bengals. It just didn't happen for as long. 

But the idea that the doctor cleared him when this happened to his fingers right before he collapsed is gross incompetence. 

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Dolphins kinda should hide behind this. If this independent doctor is saying Tua was fine, you would think the dolphins would just rely on that. 

I am curious how this works though behind the scenes— does the team doctor just defer to the independent guy? Do they examine him together and consult with each other? 

But the protocol states that IF it's determined that the "symptoms" of the player is not concussion related the Team Physician determines

whether he plays or not.  It seems obvious to me that the system was set up that no one person alone can say the player can play.

Everything I have heard after the Bills game injury was the Miami team saying it wasn't a concussion.

We all will have to wait until more of the story in unfolded to us fans.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I mentioned this in another thread somewhat jokingly, but I want any play Tua was involved in after the injury in the Buffalo game to be not counted, which means the Bills would have won the game 19-14, and now be 3-0 now, and Miami would be 2-2. I obviously know that will never happen, but it just irks me. The Bills were clearly the better team, and Tua never should have gone back in the game. Bridgewater wouldn't have beaten us.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

But the protocol states that IF it's determined that the "symptoms" of the player is not concussion related the Team Physician determines

whether he plays or not.  It seems obvious to me that the system was set up that no one person alone can say the player can play.

Everything I have heard after the Bills game injury was the Miami team saying it wasn't a concussion.

We all will have to wait until more of the story in unfolded to us fans.

The team physician has exclusive decision whether he plays or not.

1 minute ago, chongli said:

I mentioned this in another thread somewhat jokingly, but I want any play Tua was involved in after the injury in the Buffalo game to be not counted, which means the Bills would have won the game 19-14, and now be 3-0 now, and Miami would be 2-2. I obviously know that will never happen, but it just irks me. The Bills were clearly the better team, and Tua never should have gone back in the game. Bridgewater wouldn't have beaten us.

Nah this is about player safety.  Id rather incompentent people just get fired and lose their license while the team gets heavily fined and loses draft picks for the next two years because I dont think they have any this year.  It should be heavy because this is the second time they failed to follow protocol.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I wonder what all the indignant, righteous Dolphins fans who've spent the past few days calling this a witch hunt and saying everything was done by the book are thinking right about now.

They are simps.  They still will think its a witch hunt.  They dont give two ***** about player safety.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.