Breaking News: Doctor that cleared Tua in concussion protocol is fired...

Protocal69

2 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

This admission would make him lose his license, no? 

That's a complicated issue that won't be resolved easily.  

One would think he will receive disciplinary action of some type, if not straight up losing his license or having it suspended. 

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Nice light appetizer, but the full meal still needs to be served, and soon.

If I were Tua, I would feel that the Dolphins did me dirty, and had no regard for my safety or future quality of life.  I would get the best lawyer- extrapolate week 1s six TD game to 21 years(Tua is 24, conceivably he could play 20 years).  I would use $40 million annually next 20 years, commercial and marketing value the next 20 years, apply interest over 20 years - not to mention the pain and suffering, headaches, memory loss, etc- thats all at least $2 billion at least.  FU Miami pay Tua

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

If I were Tua, I would feel that the Dolphins did me dirty, and had no regard for my safety or future quality of life.  I would get the best lawyer- extrapolate week 1s six TD game to 21 years(Tua is 24, conceivably he could play 20 years).  I would use $40 million annually next 20 years, commercial and marketing value the next 20 years, apply interest over 20 years - not to mention the pain and suffering, headaches, memory loss, etc- thats all at least $2 billion at least.  FU Miami pay Tua

You’re assuming that it wasn’t Tua that initiated all of this. I think he faked his way through a concussion evaluation to return to the game. 

Edited by FrenchConnection
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

He was in charge of an important Medical decision. Correct?

The knife fell, where it needed to fall.

That knife better still be falling. No one will be able to convince me that he was the only wrongdoer or the only one covering this up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

The NFL officials and the Dolphins are to blame.  If you watched the game you knew he had no business returning to the field.  Any athlete that just collapses should never be allowed to return to the game.  Add in the fact that it was 90 degrees and people in the NFL front office and the Dolphins organization should be suspended or fired.  

The Dolphins owner is also to blame.  He was watching the game. He knew the guy had no business going back onto the field.  Honestly, Tua is lucky he is alive. One bad hit in the second half and he easily could have died.  You get a lack of oxygen to the brain, due to swelling, and it is game over. 

7 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Link?

Someone has to be in charge of such a decision. Are you saying, that it was not him?

They dismissed him claiming mistakes were made. They don’t need to prove that in order to dismiss him. However, it is equally possible, and maybe even more likely, that he didn’t make any “mistakes”, but that the protocol just sucks.

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

You’re assuming that it wasn’t Tua that initiated all of this. I think he faked his way through a concussion evaluation to return to the game. 

they put a lot of pressure on me.  If we lost, it would be my fault, and you let your team down.  Anyone who saw that play can clearly see Im concussed.  And concussed people dont know what day it is.

3 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If ‘The Doctor’ is working the Medical Tent, then he is the one making the call. Who else is to blame? Do you think that the team has a secret ‘if Tua gets a concussion?’ Policy in advance? Tua should never have returned to the field, against the Bills

The UNC doctor and the team physician both make the call.

Buffalo Channel 7 has this article that is short and concise of the procedures.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/faq-what-actually-happens-when-an-nfl-player-enters-concussion-protocol

I do like this part.

If the NFL Commissioner determines that a medical team failed to follow the protocol in order to win a game, the Commissioner can require the team to forfeit draft picks and impose fines that can exceed the amounts above.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

It's the team and system's job to isolate Tua himself from the process, because ALL players will say "I'm fine, put me back in, coach."

Also, once the various visual indicators of head trauma on the field were seen, the rule indicates that simply based on that, Tua can't return to the game; it doesn't matter if he was "cleared" at halftime.

He was allowed to go back in b/c the team lied about the reason for his stumbling and falling over...which means Tua could not be the sole cause for returning to the game.

It's all a LOT bigger than that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

Tua likely misled the doctors given his own statements on the injury. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

they put a lot of pressure on me.  If we lost, it would be my fault, and you let your team down.  Anyone who saw that play can clearly see Im concussed.  And concussed people dont know what day it is.

I don’t want to keep repeating this, but you really have to watch that Tom Rinaldi piece on Tua and his father that aired during the pre-game of the NCG against LSU. There is no way that his psychopath father considers a head injury a reason to leave a game. I mean, Tua got beaten with a belt until his body was covered in welts if he threw INTs in high school games. This was to “toughen him up.” Tua still lives with his parents who travel to road games. His father went to the hospital in Cincinnati and low and behold he left the hospital. Probably AMA. If I was a betting man, I would put big money on Tua playing against the Jets.

21 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

He was in charge of an important Medical decision. Correct?

The knife fell, where it needed to fall.

I think everyone knew he was in some form of trouble after the Bills game. But I think the majority agrees there’s a little more to the story than just one rogue doctor on gameday. 

16 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If ‘The Doctor’ is working the Medical Tent, then he is the one making the call. Who else is to blame? Do you think that the team has a secret ‘if Tua gets a concussion?’ Policy in advance? Tua should never have returned to the field, against the Bills

Everyone watching that game knew Tua had concussion. It did not need a medical professional to say otherwise; McDaniel could have stepped in and said Tua would not return.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

A man’s life was at stake, at the end of the day. If the Doc says ‘play’, then he is ultimately to blame

It's much more complicated than that; the Doc is absolutely not the only one culpable here.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.