Who are the best coaches in NFL History?

Chaos

This is my list of my top 9, in no particular order.  Not sure if I want to be put Tony Dungy, Marv Levy or John Madden in the last spot. 

1. Vince Lombardi
  2. Tom Landry
  3. Joe Gibbs
  4. Bill Parcells
  5. Bill Walsh
  6. Bill Belichek
  7. Paul Brown
  8. Chuck Noll
  9. Don Shula
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't have strong opinions about this stuff, and have no idea how you would rate these guys.

Having said that, in my lifetime the best I have seen is Belichick, and before him it was Parcells.

So in the era I am familiar with, those are 1 and 2.

I remember Landry and guys like that but I was young.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

Gibbs is the best I’ve seen.  Look at his Super Bowl winning QB’s…pretty crazy.  Then when he decides he’s done with NFL coaching he focuses on an extremely successful NASCAR team.  Dude’s a legend.

As much as I love Marv, he isn’t even sniffing the top ten.  Sorry.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't have strong opinions about this stuff, and have no idea how you would rate these guys.

Having said that, in my lifetime the best I have seen is Belichick, and before him it was Parcells.

So in the era I am familiar with, those are 1 and 2.

I remember Landry and guys like that but I was young.

Success and Innovation. 

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Belicheat cheated and w/o Brady has a losing record 

Belichick's defense won Brady a few of those rings.  It wasn't Brady that shut down the Rams in the 13-3 win.  And I think you can argue Belichick's defense showed up in a few other Super Bowls where Brady and their offense didn't.  The Patriot's dynasty was more defense than offense. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Bills2022 said:

Belichick's defense won Brady a few of those rings.  It wasn't Brady that shut down the Rams in the 13-3 win.  And I think you can argue Belichick's defense showed up in a few other Super Bowls where Brady and their offense didn't.  The Patriot's dynasty was more defense than offense. 

Was that in the years he was recording other teams' practices?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Was that in the years he was recording other teams' practices?

All I know is he won 5 Rings and we have won 0 rings.  I honestly never felt cheated by the Patriots.  They were just better than the Bills for all those years. The tide has turned but they owned the division for a long time.  And it was their defense that was the biggest factor. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This is my list of my top 9, in no particular order.  Not sure if I want to be put Tony Dungy, Marv Levy or John Madden in the last spot. 

1. Vince Lombardi
  2. Tom Landry
  3. Joe Gibbs
  4. Bill Parcells
  5. Bill Walsh
  6. Bill Belichek
  7. Paul Brown
  8. Chuck Noll
  9. Don Shula

Gotdam Whippersnapper! 🤦‍♂️

Papa Bear George Halas

Allie Sherman

Don Coryell

Hank Stram

Curly Lambeau

E1E1E2B6-5B2D-405F-8676-06F8ACB5913B.jpeg

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

All I know is he won 5 Rings and we have won 0 rings.  I honestly never felt cheated by the Patriots.  They were just better than the Bills for all those years. The tide has turned but they owned the division for a long time.  And it was their defense that was the biggest factor. 

The question isn't whether the Patriots were better than the Bills during the drought, I mean who's ***** questioning that? It's who are the best coaches in NFL history and Belichick's cheating should absolutely be a knock against him.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Gibbs is the best I’ve seen.  Look at his Super Bowl winning QB’s…pretty crazy.  Then when he decides he’s done with NFL coaching he focuses on an extremely successful NASCAR team.  Dude’s a legend.

As much as I love Marv, he isn’t even sniffing the top ten.  Sorry.

You can state accolades if all the OP lists.  Paul Brown in his innovative mind and scheme and strategy, but Gibbs winning three SB’s with three different QB’s was nothing short of genius.

Walsh changing the way the passing game is played.  It’s a barstool argument so there are no right or wrong answers.

this was a pretty good list.  I’m just not old enough to know if a guy like Halas was great or not.  He won a ton and lasted 50 years, so I assume he’d be on this list.

12 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Gotdam Whippersnapper! 🤦‍♂️

Papa Bear George Halas

Allie Sherman

Don Coryell

Hank Stram

Curly Lambeau

E1E1E2B6-5B2D-405F-8676-06F8ACB5913B.jpeg

These are great additions.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Belicheat cheated and w/o Brady has a losing record 

There has never been an elite head coach who didn't have an elite QB.

The only one close might be Parcells.

You take the starting QBs away from the "best ever," coaches and they're very likely JAGs.

You don't win 6 super bowls if you're not a great coach.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.