The curious case of: Devin Singletary

Special K

I'm a huge Singletary fan. The guy has an amazing work ethic, never stops trying to get better, and even hired a speed coach to try to get faster. 

He makes plays every week for us on offense, both catching and running. He has elite elusiveness and a good burst. It's the lack of top end speed that keeps him from being great, but IMO he is a very good back.

He'll never be a top RB in the NFL for that reason, but he has a lot of value and does a lot of things well. 

It should be Singletary as #1 and Cook as #2, with the hope being that those roles switch but both are here long-term. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I was watching the KC game last night where some 7th round pick named Isiah Pacheco was picking up 5.7 yds per carry, and the light bulb flickered:

Maybe the problem isn't entirely our RBs. 

Maybe the fact that Bienemy, a former RB, is the OC of the KC Chiefs, has something to do with it.

Maybe our OCs just aren't crafting a very good run game.

the problem is.. we can't confirm or deny if Motor is legit.

Moss just runs into big buts and bounces back.... he needs to be bounced.

Cook is a huge disappointment sp far

There's no logical reason at this point that Moss should still be active and getting carries.

Give Singletary 80% of all the offensive snaps and let Cook get the rest. And if they still don't trust Cook or want to him to play much than cut Moss and bring someone else up from the PS which should have been done anyway with Blackshear before he was poached.

On 10/1/2022 at 4:49 AM, Chandler#81 said:

You blurt out a non-factual statement then tell us to face facts?😳🤦‍♂️

Crack cocaine is a terrible thing, man. Call the Help line.👍

If it is not factual name a slower back. Try to up your insult game. Anybody can make a three year old laugh.

He's a fine back with good elusiveness, vision and balance that can catch. He doesn't have top end speed and he's not a bruiser. He should get Moss' carries, but that's about it. Singletary is the kind of back you don't want as a true #1, but can be a serviceable part of a committee. He'll make far too much money for that role though, so I won't mind seeing him go while we try to upgrade.

Wouldn't be shocked to see the Patriots go after him.

11 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

those who don't agree should answer why would the Bills spend a 2nd rounder on Cook if they truly believed in Moss & Singletary.

Because it may well be Bean's philosophy that you fill the RB position with 2nd/3rd round picks on rookie contracts instead of spending big money at the position.

15 minutes ago, Simon said:

Because it may well be Bean's philosophy that you fill the RB position with 2nd/3rd round picks on rookie contracts instead of spending big money at the position.

Well, that may well be.  But since we're spending the Big Bucks on Josh Allen to be our Franchise Man, it's a bit of a puzzle why Beane feels 2nd/3rd round picks are OK for the RB position, but 4th/5th/6th/UDFA picks are good enough for the WR position, and only 1 3rd round pick at TE (where we seem might-tee thin) vs 3 at RB?

It's a puzzle to me.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, that may well be.  But since we're spending the Big Bucks on Josh Allen to be our Franchise Man, it's a bit of a puzzle why Beane feels 2nd/3rd round picks are OK for the RB position, but 4th/5th/6th/UDFA picks are good enough for the WR position, and only 1 3rd round pick at TE (where we seem might-tee thin) vs 3 at RB?

It's a puzzle to me.

He probably considers Diggs a 1st rounder?

• Like (+1) 1

In 2021 only Allen, Davis, Diggs, McKenzie and (you guessed it) Singletary made NextGen stats faastest ballcarrier of the week.  After McKenzie, Singletary had the fastest carry by a Buffalo player in 2021.  Just saying.  I would also add that at least two different episodes of "Angry Runs" last year would argue that Motor shouldn't be underestimated as far as running over and through people.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/top-plays/fastest-ball-carriers/2021/REG/2

Edited by Maine-iac

On 10/1/2022 at 12:36 PM, 947 said:

Singletary missed the blitz pickup on Josh's strip/sack. After that, I imagine having a patchwork OL that was getting dominated led to Moss getting more plays due to his pass-pro skills.

I think it's more complicated than that.  Cover1 and I think? Brett Kollman did some stuff on it ( but I can't find it in 5 minutes of looking)

IIRC and if I don't I'm sure someone will put me right, the Bills were dealing with the Dolphins pressures by sliding the line and having Singletary release into the flat for a quick pass.  Except on the strip sack, the Dolphins sent one more guy to that side than the Bills were prepared to block.

On 10/1/2022 at 9:06 AM, Billsfanatixs said:

Showcasing Moss has been my guess, I will be disappointed with any reason other than that.

I got to ask showcase for what. Because I doubt we could get anything for him. Maybe a devin singletary auto mini helmet. 

1 hour ago, Simon said:

He probably considers Diggs a 1st rounder?

I'll accept that for the sake of reinforcing the point.  Since our Franchise Guy needs targets to catch what he's throwing and the Bills offense behaves as though a run game is optional, isn't it a bit peculiar that Beane has invested 2 3rd round and a second round pick in RBs, vs 1 1st-rd equivalent and a bunch of 5th and 6th round picks in those all important WR targets?

8 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

If it is not factual name a slower back. Try to up your insult game. Anybody can make a three year old laugh.

Then quit laughing, funny boy.
I know a few people from Minnesota. Now I know you. Don’t like any of ya.  Welcome to Ignore. I wasn’t gonna do the obvious work to explain this crap, but you want proof that FBs, H-Backs, Quarterbacks and other RBs are slower, to give this ridiculous take credence.  A dumbass comment doesn’t require evidence to call it a dumbass comment. 
You're time would be better spent getting that melting ice block replaced on the igloo. Winter’s a comin’

Edited by Chandler#81

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It's a puzzle to me.

We gave up a first for digs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.