The curious case of: Devin Singletary

Special K

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

He's had 139 snaps, which is 64% of all of our offensive snaps. 

That's not what anyone should call decreased playing time. Especially as he had 60% last year.

Yeah, just checked he is in the top 6 for offensive snaps, behind Barkley, Mixon, Mccaffery and Taylor. Since coaches aren't using him much as a runner they're probably using him more to block for Allen and Allen is the top qb in the league right now so can't be that bad

Edited by motorj

I think its the fact that the Bills don't run the ball much.  I think they need to run the ball more than what they have been.  Motor is the best back, but none of it matters if you don't run the ball a lot.  I think if we had Saquan Barkley or Jonathan Taylor they still wouldn't run the ball a lot.

With our poor run blocking and because we have aQB like Josh, we will never focus on the run game.  I believe Allen said that part of our passing game is a glorified running game.  I did notice he has been throwing short passes to the RBs and we are getting YAC. Not a bad idea.  But I still think we need better run blocking to be able to truly run when we need to

22 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The obsession with this unnecessary RB rotation is the reason we can’t run. It’s completely pointless. Nobody can get into a rhythm when they are out of the game every other series. I fully understand the point of giving a guy a rest for a play or two. But that’s not even close to what we do. This coach refuses to let anyone be the RB and rotates guys every other possession. What’s worse, we are rotating in a guy like Moss constantly. He’s a complete zero and does nothing but kill drives and momentum. It’s almost as if McDermott has never watched back what our run game looks like.  Anyone that has been around football would wonder why the good back is on the sidelines for half the game. No other team does that *****. It drives me crazy. That’s why we can’t run the ball.

I agree. But don't worry the best back will get much more run after the bye..  that's when Cook should take over for the 2 JAGs.

On 10/1/2022 at 1:43 AM, Special K said:

What do you guys think is the reason for his decreased playing time?

Is Ken Dorsey not a fan of him?

Is it due to the fact he is in the final year of his contract, and he is not in the Bills future plans?

Is there a three way running back competition going on to determine who will be the eventual primary back?

Or is it something else?

Thoughts? 

He pretty much sucks so…

16 hours ago, Iverwig said:

I think its the fact that the Bills don't run the ball much.  I think they need to run the ball more than what they have been.  Motor is the best back, but none of it matters if you don't run the ball a lot.  I think if we had Saquan Barkley or Jonathan Taylor they still wouldn't run the ball a lot.

Because passing is far and away more efficient than even the greatest running game. When you have a QB like Josh Allen calling more run plays should never be a thing. That being said, this team throws more than league trends would indicate, but they've been horrendous on 1st and 2nd downs because of this weird fascination with YAC. Josh is most effective pushing the ball down the field and its not particularly close. 

EDIT: I mentioned it in another thread but the Ravens have a horrific pass defense on intermediate and deep passes but best in the league at stopping short passes, yet we insisted on throwing short for the entire first half. It's why Josh's numbers look bad if you're just box score scouting.

Edited by SACTOBILLSFAN
Forgot to add something

2 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I like Singletary but our run game gets way too many runs between -3 and + 2 yards.   A lot is blocking. 

This may be nuts but I hope we can iron it out in one of our few easier games.  Need to see if Cook is for real too.  He may be a guy that just needs more reps.  He also may be a jag.

In the 1st month we have played some of the best defense's in the NFL (Last year and this year).....It would only be expected that we will be matched against tough opponents.  

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I think Motor is a helluva back. He can do it all. Very reliable 

We're just a pass 1st team.

And bright with plenty of situational awareness.  He had an opportunity to score a TD, but he had the sense to go down on the 2 yard line this week.  He's a smart player.

Contrast this with McKenzie who failed to get out of bounds on the last play of the Miami game. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills must know that both Singletary & Moss are just not fast enough and not the answer at RB position,  those who don't agree should answer why would the Bills spend a 2nd rounder on Cook if they truly believed in Moss & Singletary. Singletary is a solid player, maybe not a feature RB and Moss could be out of league in the next couple of years. Anyone else tired of watching him on 3 & short and prefer they just cut him and elevate Duke Johnson or maybe sign a street guy.

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I think Motor is a helluva back. He can do it all. Very reliable 

We're just a pass 1st team.

Does not have enough burst to the hole to be a feature back in this league

On 10/1/2022 at 12:43 AM, Special K said:

What do you guys think is the reason for his decreased playing time?

Is Ken Dorsey not a fan of him?

Is it due to the fact he is in the final year of his contract, and he is not in the Bills future plans?

Is there a three way running back competition going on to determine who will be the eventual primary back?

Or is it something else?

Thoughts? 

? So far this season Singletary is averaging a higher % of snaps than last season 69% in 2022 so far vs 60% in 2021

73% vs Mia

88% vs Bal

So his playing time is increasing

2 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

Contrast this with McKenzie who failed to get out of bounds on the last play of the Miami game. 

Let it go, Man.  The real problems there were the holding penalty that put the Bills from the Dolphins 43 to their own 47, and the lack of protection (cuz exhausted backup linemen, one playing without an ACL) that prevented Allen from hitting Diggs beyond the FG target line.   If you listen to McKenzie's interviews, he understood the situation very well, he also was very well aware that if he ran backwards OOB it wouldn't stop the clock OR gain needed distance.

20 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Can’t wait to move on from Singletary and Moss. Cook hasn’t shown all that much either. 

I was watching the KC game last night where some 7th round pick named Isiah Pacheco was picking up 5.7 yds per carry, and the light bulb flickered:

Maybe the problem isn't entirely our RBs. 

Maybe the fact that Bienemy, a former RB, is the OC of the KC Chiefs, has something to do with it.

Maybe our OCs just aren't crafting a very good run game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.