The curious case of: Devin Singletary

Special K

6 hours ago, Special K said:

What do you guys think is the reason for his decreased playing time?

Is Ken Dorsey not a fan of him?

Is it due to the fact he is in the final year of his contract, and he is not in the Bills future plans?

Is there a three way running back competition going on to determine who will be the eventual primary back?

Or is it something else?

Thoughts? 

Single tray on the hot seat!

6 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I believe that he is criminally underrated.

Give him 20 carries a game and watch us grab the number 1 seed.

I agree.  He needs to get in a rhythm.  I’m just not a believer of Moss anymore and glad he’s fully healed.  He just needs to be sidelined until motor gets hurt.  

They need to keep working Cook in as a WR/RB hybrid for the short dump off passes.  Knox needs more catches as well.  It was on crappy game where statistically we beat the pants out of the Dolphins, but couldn’t convert those yards into points.

Now that I’m finally freakin home from the airport opening yesterday afternoon in Tampa, I’m interested in who is progressing from the injured list.

Some if you asked, so everything is fine guys with myself and three kids.  The poor families from Port Charlotte to Naples were hammered by Ian.  Sarasota caught some flooding, but Tampa was spared to just some winds and a ton of rain.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

This happens every game including last year.  He starts the first series and Moss always comes in the second series.  Not sure why but happens every time

Same weird situation happened with the front four in defense,

-first series: Rosseau-Oliver-Jones- Miller 

-2nd: Basham-Phillips-Settle-Epenesa ( has already been affected affected by the injuries) 

It's a team thing, it's not personal against any player 

5 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

Singletary is the slowest back in the league. It's time to face facts.

I suspected you were not accurate in your statement .. so I looked up the 40 times from the last 5 drafts for RBs that I know contribute to their teams … and Singletary had the slowest 40 time at 4.66 with the next worse being Ronald Jones and Zach Moss at 4.65. Obviously that is not a true indicator of game speed … but you were not wrong

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

You blurt out a non-factual statement then tell us to face facts?😳🤦‍♂️

Crack cocaine is a terrible thing, man. Call the Help line.👍

4.66 40 name a slower staring rb in the league. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I agree that Singletary is our best actual running back by a good margin but when it comes to protecting the QB that’s where moss shines. When I pay attention to why Moss is on the field I consistently see him putting in awesome effort to block and chip for Josh. Cook has the talent but I don’t see the dog in him that I love seeing out of Singletary fighting for every inch. I like our RB room but would I trade them all for Nick Chubb and Nyheim Hines as our 1/2 punch…probably lol

That's Moss's true value, not as a "power back".  Moss is a good blocker and he has reliable hands as a safety valve.  That's why he's getting so many reps.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Special K said:

Is it due to the fact he is in the final year of his contract, and he is not in the Bills future plans?

Is there a three way running back competition going on to determine who will be the eventual primary back?

Or is it something else?

Thoughts? 

Showcasing Moss has been my guess, I will be disappointed with any reason other than that.

• Haha (+1) 1

I don’t see the problem with Singletary, other than he lacks the high gear.  Singletary is getting his touches, he is getting a lot of short passes too.  He is decent at pass pro as well.  

If the Bills want to run better then they should be drafting interior OL in the spots the are using for RB, and then draft RB’s where they are taking all their OL projects.  

• Like (+1) 3

There is no commitment to the running game plus the O-line is so used to pass protecting they haven't been good or consistent run blocking.  Plus last game was a train wreck with so many linemen out....

Edited by Azucho98

20 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

There is no commitment to the running game plus the O-line is so used to pass protecting they haven't been good or consistent run blocking.  Plus last game was a train wreck with so many linemen out....

I was hoping the Saffold signing would improve our run game, I thought he was supposed to be a good run blocker.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I agree that Singletary is our best actual running back by a good margin but when it comes to protecting the QB that’s where moss shines. When I pay attention to why Moss is on the field I consistently see him putting in awesome effort to block and chip for Josh. Cook has the talent but I don’t see the dog in him that I love seeing out of Singletary fighting for every inch. I like our RB room but would I trade them all for Nick Chubb and Nyheim Hines as our 1/2 punch…probably lol

I know this narrative gets trot out a lot about Moss but I just dont see it. His pass blocking might be more consistent than Motor's but not by some huge margin. Definitely not a large enough margin to take Devin off the field for 2> runs from Moss 

10 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Singletary, for whatever reason, is in the McDoghouse.  He's clearly the superior back (cue the haterz with his low avg per carry because he's been getting hit 5 yards deep in the backfield).  But we all saw the best example in Miami of what happens when Zack Moss inexplicably gets two carries in a row for 1 yard.  Josh coughs up the strip sack, and we hand the Fish 7 points and the ballgame. 

Good call. It only took 6 more posts for the first of the haters to show up. Every time it looks like Singletary is gaining momentum, they take him out and cool him off. It is strange 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Don’t care.  Just pick one. 

Make Singletary or Moss the lead back.  

Singletary is a better RB, but Moss might be the better back for a heavy pass team. 

Make the other inactive or emergency depth. 

Keep increasing the James Cook workload until he hopefully becomes our lead guy.  

10 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Singletary, for whatever reason, is in the McDoghouse.  He's clearly the superior back (cue the haterz with his low avg per carry because he's been getting hit 5 yards deep in the backfield).  But we all saw the best example in Miami of what happens when Zack Moss inexplicably gets two carries in a row for 1 yard.  Josh coughs up the strip sack, and we hand the Fish 7 points and the ballgame. 

He had 67 snaps and 18 touches last week. How is he in the doghouse?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Special K said:

Or is it something else?

Thoughts? 

I'm confused with this debate.  These are the snap count numbers from Pro Football Reference.

2021 season snap count for RBs

Singletary - 60%

Moss - 32%

Breida - 7%

2022 season snap count for RBs

Singletary - 63%

Moss - 23%

Cook - 15%

2021 FB Gilliam - 13%

2022 FB Gilliam - 26%

When it comes to "touches", I have to believe it is more of a game situation than a schemed RB preference.

I'm going to stick with my early prediction that Devin gets the lion's share of snaps (55-60%) and by the end of the season

Cook will be getting as much or more snaps than Moss.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.