The curious case of: Devin Singletary

Special K

What do you guys think is the reason for his decreased playing time?

Is Ken Dorsey not a fan of him?

Is it due to the fact he is in the final year of his contract, and he is not in the Bills future plans?

Is there a three way running back competition going on to determine who will be the eventual primary back?

Or is it something else?

Thoughts? 

Singletary, for whatever reason, is in the McDoghouse.  He's clearly the superior back (cue the haterz with his low avg per carry because he's been getting hit 5 yards deep in the backfield).  But we all saw the best example in Miami of what happens when Zack Moss inexplicably gets two carries in a row for 1 yard.  Josh coughs up the strip sack, and we hand the Fish 7 points and the ballgame. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'd believe that any starting back for the Bills would get the same treatment. I don't see any other starter getting a consistent 15 carries per game. With Josh going to have his 6-10 rushing attempts per game and being a pass first team. Plus splitting carries with other backs seems to be the normal now in the NFL

• Like (+1) 3

Apparently, they don't think Motor can handle the workload of a full season. Once again saving him for the playoff run. Cook could be a big factor as well if he keeps improving. I think they know Moss isn't the guy, but he's serviceable enough to keep the rotation going during the first half of the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It isn't curious. They don't run much because their run blocking sucks. 

The only curious bit is why Moss gets the second series every week despite clearly being a less dynamic runner.

I don't think Devin is in the doghouse at all. The Bills are not and are not about to be a running team. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 4

He had 18 touches last week. He didn't have that many touches until Week 14 of last season. He was ridiculously underutilized very early last year. For comparison, he had 13 touches against Washington week 3 of last year, so his usage is actually increasing. Josh targeted him 11 times last week. Quiet +1 for the Motor fans, trust the process.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think the Bills are experimenting too much.  Last game Singletary caught about 10 passes...they had all the 3 RBs in the game...I think it messes the rhythm...The Bills need to keep Moss in the inactives and rush the ball with Josh, Singletary and Cook.

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Apparently, they don't think Motor can handle the workload of a full season. Once again saving him for the playoff run. Cook could be a big factor as well if he keeps improving. I think they know Moss isn't the guy, but he's serviceable enough to keep the rotation going during the first half of the season.

I am not sure of the situation and don't quite understand it either.  But, will agree with this.  I also am leaning towards the Bills throwing the ball in warmer weather and earlier in the season and then ramping up the run as teams are thinking the Bills will always be throwing later in the season and in colder weather.

I agree that Singletary is our best actual running back by a good margin but when it comes to protecting the QB that’s where moss shines. When I pay attention to why Moss is on the field I consistently see him putting in awesome effort to block and chip for Josh. Cook has the talent but I don’t see the dog in him that I love seeing out of Singletary fighting for every inch. I like our RB room but would I trade them all for Nick Chubb and Nyheim Hines as our 1/2 punch…probably lol

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.