Dolphins Fans Reactions to Tua’s Injury

Rigotz

I gave the Dolphins the benefit of the doubt when they put Tua back into the game against us.  I thought he had obviously been concussed -- just like everybody else who saw him stumble around -- but I thought it was pretty unlikely that any NFL team would send a concussed player back into a game in 2022, so I figured hey maybe this "back" story is really true.

If I gave the Dolphins coaching staff and medical people the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure I would have given the Bills the benefit of the doubt if the same thing had happened with Allen.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

That fact that he wasn’t was negligent in my opinion - from the independent neurologist to the Miami coach who absolutely KNEW Tua had a head bonk but hid behind the “The doctors said he was fine” excuse instead of protecting his player.

This is the part that makes me ask where the team loopholes are in this process. If Tua even enters the protocol, based on no-go criteria posted on the NFL website, he’s out. I have to think any independent consultant with the benefit of all of the information that fans had at their disposal, mainly the video evidence of the sequence, are not going to risk their livelihoods over a side gig and clear him even if his testing was normal. They’re obviously not replaying the sequence in the stadium like they did on the broadcast. Regardless, it was obvious enough that spotters should have caught it. Where’s the disconnect? It makes me wonder what is the jeopardy to their credentialing? Is there an agreement in place with the NFL that limits their liability in this position?

• Like (+1) 1

Living in Florida, I have heard it all from Miami fans.  They are all over the spectrum but I would say a small majority believe that Tua should not have been allowed to return to the game on Sunday.  They also believe that the second injury was more severe due to the short time between the two.  These kinds of injuries accumulate because of the slow healing nature of the brain.  A third injury could be even more catastrophic. Some people believe that the Miami organization pressured people to allow Tua to play the second half last Sunday.  I have to admit the whole thing smells of Steven Ross involvement.

Another point of view that is often expressed is that Tua may be too fragile to play in the league.  It seems that every time he takes a hit, he is hurt.  Many people don't believe that he can stay on the field enough to lead a team to a championship.  There aren't widespread opinions to move on from Tua but I don't think many are far from getting to that.

• Agree 3

I read through their real time reaction on Finheaven and, oh my, what a dreadful place and people.  Great place to hang out if you want to quickly lose faith in humanity.

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Why do so many folks here care what other fans are thinking, writing, or talking about?

Our interest is in the Bills; why not talk about that?

They're our rivals, we just lost a heartbreaker to them, and the Tua injury is the biggest story in football.  Otherwise, I agree.

• Haha (+1) 1

I read an article earlier today (ESPN) that stated:

"But the Dolphins say Tagovailoa passed multiple concussion evaluations -- including one at halftime of the Bills game and each day leading up to Thursday's game, according to NFL chief medical officer Allen Sills."

If he was cleared of a concussion on Sunday and it was the back injury they say, why would they give him a test every day after?  Is that protocol?  How can one be under concussion protocol if one was deemed not to have a concussion?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

I gave the Dolphins the benefit of the doubt when they put Tua back into the game against us.  I thought he had obviously been concussed -- just like everybody else who saw him stumble around -- but I thought it was pretty unlikely that any NFL team would send a concussed player back into a game in 2022, so I figured hey maybe this "back" story is really true.

If I gave the Dolphins coaching staff and medical people the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure I would have given the Bills the benefit of the doubt if the same thing had happened with Allen.

I dealt with a back issue where I was kinda wobbly when I tried standing up and felt the same about believing it was his back. After watching a replay though, Tua didn’t reach for his back. He shook his head like he was trying to clear out the cobwebs. Once I saw that, I couldn’t believe it wasn’t a concussion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Living in Florida, I have heard it all from Miami fans.  They are all over the spectrum but I would say a small majority believe that Tua should not have been allowed to return to the game on Sunday.  They also believe that the second injury was more severe due to the short time between the two.  These kinds of injuries accumulate because of the slow healing nature of the brain.  A third injury could be even more catastrophic. Some people believe that the Miami organization pressured people to allow Tua to play the second half last Sunday.  I have to admit the whole thing smells of Steven Ross involvement.

Another point of view that is often expressed is that Tua may be too fragile to play in the league.  It seems that every time he takes a hit, he is hurt.  Many people don't believe that he can stay on the field enough to lead a team to a championship.  There aren't widespread opinions to move on from Tua but I don't think many are far from getting to that.

Can Miami afford Lamar?  I hope not.

4 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

I disagree - remember how strongly most of us went against the management when it looked like Araiza might play against the Panthers, after everything came out. As a fan base, I think we’re very prepared to against the team if we feel they’re stepping away from a moral base and, had that been Josh instead of Tua, we would have been laying into McDermott and Dorsey for putting him out there instead of doubling down on one of the weakest excuses ever given.

A lot of the Ariza reaction also fell along the lines of "he's just a punter" responses. Tua  is not looked upon as the franchise for half that fan base. He's expendable. Many Miami fans would likely cut ties with Tua before Mike McDaniel if they had to make a choice. And McDaniel has only been at the helm for 4 games. 

Very much a different situation in Buffalo where Allen has become this entire organization. 

That said, I would like to think I would also lay into McDermott and Beane if Allen were put in a similar situation. And Allen is the ultimate competitor, it's probably just a matter of time before those boundaries are tested and hopefully the Bills organization makes the right decision. 

29 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I dealt with a back issue where I was kinda wobbly when I tried standing up and felt the same about believing it was his back. After watching a replay though, Tua didn’t reach for his back. He shook his head like he was trying to clear out the cobwebs. Once I saw that, I couldn’t believe it wasn’t a concussion. 

Bingo!

9 hours ago, itaos said:

“Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of em’ are stupider than that” 

- George Carlin

Gotta love you some George !!! 

Not sure just who this should be on Tua or the staff but i think there was a hole lot more to him coming back in the Bills game than is being told i feel maybe Tua's competitive juices may have made him lie a bit to get back out to play .

Edited by T master

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t think it’s stupidity. It’s that people don’t like to admit they’re wrong. 

Bills fans would be doing the same thing.

Depends. 

We all watch plays, then the replay and have a strong opinion on what did or did not happen. In some of those we are confirmed right or wrong. But in others, it is clear to virtually everyone watching EXCEPT THE REPLAY OFFICIAL what did or did not happen. Just because they have the power to make an incorrect choice, doesn’t mean we need to admit we were wrong, when we can see we are not.

In the case of Tua, what happened in the Bills game was not hidden, in any way, shape or form. In order…

1) Tua’s head bounces off the turf on the push;

2) Tua gets up and shakes his head;

3)  Then Tua wobbles;

4) Finally,  Tua would have collapsed, were he not held up by his linemen.

Clearly, these are signs of trauma to the brain and concussion possibilities.

Nobody with their own brain intact- can deny what they saw!

Fish Mgt. + their HC did!

• Agree 2

Let me ask you this. From the inception of the concussion protocols when have you ever seen a player return to play within 30 minutes of suffering a head injury and resulting loss motor skills? I can't think of any for any sport. This has to be a first. Also, we are being told it was a back injury. Did Tua reach for his back? Was he xrayed? 

People deserve to get sued and fired for sure for incompetence and or corruption. 

14 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Can the Patriots?

Miami has screwed themselves with all the Tampering and will lose all sorts of things WRT to fines and picks

They are projected to have 

$12,099,815 in cap space 😜 

Good call with the Patriots. But guess I’d rather have him there than teamed up with Hill & Waddle. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It's part of the BIRGing and CORFing effect in fan behavior.

Fans attach themselves to a team and then associate themselves with the success or failure of said team, reacting accordingly. It's why fans say "we" when referring to the team even though they're not a member of that team. Obviously not everyone who says "we" has mental issues, but fans that take it too far automatically go on the defensive in a situation like this. Same thing they would do if personally accused of neglect in their actual lives.

And don't forget the word fans is short for fanatic.  And certainly all of us who post on any team message board 12 months of the year, six of which there's no season going on, fits that bill.

You posted a very reasonable and accurate assessment, do you think Bills fans would react any differently.  Other than a few posters here who have a bone to pick with Bills front office and coaches.

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

IMO no way the Bills play Allen 4 days later. You sign a competent back up QB for a reason. The Dolphins deserve everything bad coming their way. 

23 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Depends. 

We all watch plays, then the replay and have a strong opinion on what did or did not happen. In some of those we are confirmed right or wrong. But in others, it is clear to virtually everyone watching EXCEPT THE REPLAY OFFICIAL what did or did not happen. Just because they have the power to make an incorrect choice, doesn’t mean we need to admit we were wrong, when we can see we are not.

In the case of Tua, what happened in the Bills game was not hidden, in any way, shape or form. In order…

1) Tua’s head bounces off the turf on the push;

2) Tua gets up and shakes his head;

3)  Then Tua wobbles;

4) Finally,  Tua would have collapsed, were he not held up by his linemen.

Clearly, these are signs of trauma to the brain and concussion possibilities.

Nobody with their own brain intact- can deny what they saw!

Fish Mgt. + their HC did!

Someone knows the truth in this, and I’d love them to speak up. 

Also, I think McDaniel is in over his head on this. We know Stephen Ross is a dirtbag… gotta wonder if part of the desire to bring McDaniel in is because he’s a ‘kid’ and potentially easily influenced. (Maybe not though?)

There are too many things that aren’t adding up, and my gut says that McDaniel knows more than he’s leading on. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.