Dolphins Fans Reactions to Tua’s Injury

Rigotz

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It's part of the BIRGing and CORFing effect in fan behavior.

Fans attach themselves to a team and then associate themselves with the success or failure of said team, reacting accordingly. It's why fans say "we" when referring to the team even though they're not a member of that team. Obviously not everyone who says "we" has mental issues, but fans that take it too far automatically go on the defensive in a situation like this. Same thing they would do if personally accused of neglect in their actual lives.

I disagree - remember how strongly most of us went against the management when it looked like Araiza might play against the Panthers, after everything came out. As a fan base, I think we’re very prepared to against the team if we feel they’re stepping away from a moral base and, had that been Josh instead of Tua, we would have been laying into McDermott and Dorsey for putting him out there instead of doubling down on one of the weakest excuses ever given.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

I disagree - remember how strongly most of us went against the management when it looked like Araiza might play against the Panthers, after everything came out. As a fan base, I think we’re very prepared to against the team if we feel they’re stepping away from a moral base and, had that been Josh instead of Tua, we would have been laying into McDermott and Dorsey for putting him out there instead of doubling down on one of the weakest excuses ever given.

It was most definitely split, just like I imagine Miami fans are split.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

It was most definitely split, just like I imagine Miami fans are split.

I think it was split over Araiza’s perceived guilt, more than his position on the team. I guess when it first came out it was split but, as time went on (bearing in mind it was only three days between the news being released and him being cut) and the furore around the team grew, more and more people realised it was not workable for the team and would have been unimpressed had he been kept on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TAinLA said:

Coach McDermott would never allow Josh to return to the field no matter how bad Josh would want to come back in.  Someone from the Dolphins medical staff and/or coaching staff made a serious mistake and they should be dealt with in a very serious way.  After 1 week of football Tua could be on his way to early Dementia/Alzheimer's sooner more than later.

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Yeah I am sure there would be none of that head if it was Allen.  

That's what I remember from the 2019 game against the Pats.

Allen was out on the field got up and was able to walk off on his own and looked upset that they were taking him out of the game. 

McD wasn't going to risk him being out there and they put him right into the protocol. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TAinLA said:

Coach McDermott would never allow Josh to return to the field no matter how bad Josh would want to come back in.  Someone from the Dolphins medical staff and/or coaching staff made a serious mistake and they should be dealt with in a very serious way.  After 1 week of football Tua could be on his way to early Dementia/Alzheimer's sooner more than later.

Wouldn't he?  Seems we had a similar situation a few years ago.  Josh had a concussion and we thought he would need to sit out at least one game but then he played.  It made a lot of us very uncomfortable.  I don't remember the exact details but maybe someone can help me out here.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Wouldn't he?  Seems we had a similar situation a few years ago.  Josh had a concussion and we thought he would need to sit out at least one game but then he played.  It made a lot of us very uncomfortable.  I don't remember the exact details but maybe someone can help me out here.

That's the problem, there are so many variables and factors that must be considered. Not all concussions are the same. Not all symptoms are the same. There is no way to compare one to the other. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

See Wiz's post.

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Pats fans were same with the cheating. It's what people do. I'm sure some Bills fans would, too.

Great call.  It is common sense and facts (in the Pats ** case).  They just talk louder and get aggressive.  It is not worth talking to them about it.  Uneducated people when presented common sense and facts they don't want to hear just get loud and aggressive.

3 hours ago, TAinLA said:

The person/people who let Tua play should be fired.  If it is a doctor they should be banned from the NFL.  Originally the Dolphins said it was a head injury and then said it was a back.  They blatantly chose to lie and coverup their extremely poor decision.

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

That's what I remember from the 2019 game against the Pats.

Allen was out on the field got up and was able to walk off on his own and looked upset that they were taking him out of the game. 

McD wasn't going to risk him being out there and they put him right into the protocol. 

Yeah, I just looked it up.  He did not go back in the game.  However, he was out of practice on Wed and Thurs, practicing and still in protocol on Friday, but played on Sunday against the Titans.  MANY of us were questioning that decision and it seemed they were rushing Josh back.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, fergie's ire said:

Yeah, I just looked it up.  He did not go back in the game.  However, he was out of practice on Wed and Thurs, practicing and still in protocol on Friday, but played on Sunday against the Titans.  MANY of us were questioning that decision and it seemed they were rushing Josh back.

The difference was that he needed to pass the 5 stages to be able to return for that Sunday. 

Tua was checked on the field or in the locker room and then returned to the game after the half and no other followup was required prior to the Thursday night game (this is the part I still wonder about).

They can say they checked him through the week but that could be as simple as a doctor saying "you good?" each day and Tua just replying "yup".

Related to Tua during the Buffalo game I mentioned above.  Does anyone know when the concussion test was done?

They could have pulled him from the game and took him into the locker room and waited 20-30 minutes before checking him and allowed him to get his head cleared out before testing him so he would clear.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

you’re not missing anything. You’re just cherry picking and exhibiting a false sense of superiority. You’re just as bad as them.

Didn’t expect so much hate on this…

I don’t hate Dolphins fans, or Tua, or you. There’s no superiority happening here… just not understanding how a concrete fact became so blurred with one contingent.

I don’t think Bills fans would be as willing to go along with obvious medical negligence on our star player as much as Miami fans were willing to overlook it in order to win their SuperBowl against us and justify all the hype that was being piled on the team. We are a much more skeptical fan base, look at how we second guess McD every day and he’s one of the best coaches we’ve ever had.

I’m a doc. You don’t have to be a doc to know that Tua suffered a head injury against the Bills. 99% of people watching that hit, watching him stumble, reach for his head (not his back) and shake his head just know intuitively that’s a head injury. It’s not rocket science. 

Our ability to detect brain injuries by physical/cognitive exam is very limited at best. Sometimes as docs we need to use our gut to do best by the patient.

Put it this way, if Tua was my patient for surgery and that happened in the parking lot, I don’t care what the neurologist tells me about his cognitive function there is ZERO percent chance I’m putting him to sleep and I’d have the nuts to tell both the surgeon and patient that he’s cancelled. 

He should have been cancelled Sunday, he should have been placed in the concussion protocol which would have precluded him from playing Thursday.

That fact that he wasn’t was negligent in my opinion - from the independent neurologist to the Miami coach who absolutely KNEW Tua had a head bonk but hid behind the “The doctors said he was fine” excuse instead of protecting his player.

I don’t think McD puts Allen back in the game if that happened to him.

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I will say this in defense of Phin fans- the smart ones are just silent in social media, only the idiots are out and talking, trying to defend the team. 

well, there are only about three of those, so….

Edited by BRH
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I will say this in defense of Phin fans- the smart ones are just silent in social media, only the idiots are out and talking, trying to defend the team. 

If you actually live in Orlando, I hope you made it though the hurricane ok. 

7 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Is anyone else observing the trend of Dolphins fans doubling down on Tua being “fine” during the Bills game?

All over Twitter, all I see is an “us vs them” mentality from Dolphins fans and it’s really embarrassing to watch.

Objectively, all of our hearts and minds should be with Tua and nothing else. 

Is this a normal reaction? I feel like if Josh (god forbid) had a similar situation we would be angry at THE BILLS for allowing him to play… not mad at everyone else.

What am I missing here?

You’re first mistake is reading twitter.  People have no filter like a water slide from brain to mouth.

Never cared for Fish fans as they are so fair weather, and largely uninformed.

I’ve tried to have intelligent conversations, as I can easily do with Chiefs, Steelers, or even Giants fans.  Every conversation at a sports bar (a nice one and one of the two owners is from Buffalo) has been fruitless with Fins fans.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.