I know they are talking heads, but here comes the Lamar MVP talk again-Hope Sunday changes all that

Billsfan1972

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is one of those weird, insecure, old-Bills posts that I thought we were beyond? It was the same with Mahomes in the past. It is okay for multiple people to be phenomenal. Lamar being good doesn’t mean that Josh is bad. We don’t need to downplay his historical accomplishments to prop up Allen. His play speaks for itself. These guys are both elite players and we all should appreciate watching them play the game that we all love.

I remember hating (not personally) Dan Marino growing up.   I hated the look on his face.  I hated how good he was.  

It wasn't until I got older that I was able to say, that guy was friggin awesome. 

Not everyone is of the same age on TBD to do that.  My sons don't like Mahomes and Lamar.  It's ok, they shouldn't.   They are our competition and my teenagers want Josh to get every accolade and it doesn't mean they are wrong or stupid or racist or anything else. 

I totally disagree with this - "These guys are both elite players and we all should appreciate watching them play the game that we all love."

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Thus far, Lamar is the MVP, he’s done it all.  The guy is playing lights out.  Josh is on his heals, overall IT’S 3 GAMES IN TO THE SEASON, chill.

I still think Josh has done more.  Threw for 400 yards vs. Miami and somehow took a step back.

With Lamar, the one thing we see in the highlights and again probably not fair, is just how open receivers are.  Compare this to how many precise throws Allen has made on the run and to much tighter windows.

10 hours ago, BigDingus said:

If I were you, I'd hope 99% of these "talking heads" are right, as they also likely predicted Bills winning the Super Bowl.

If Lamar wins MVP & Bills win the Super Bowl, I'll take that 10 times out of 10.

Marc Ross?  
He’s a hater

and so is Stephen A. 

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

I remember hating (not personally) Dan Marino growing up.   I hated the look on his face.  I hated how good he was.  

It wasn't until I got older that I was able to say, that guy was friggin awesome. 

Not everyone is of the same age on TBD to do that.  My sons don't like Mahomes and Lamar.  It's ok, they shouldn't.   They are our competition and my teenagers want Josh to get every accolade and it doesn't mean they are wrong or stupid or racist or anything else. 

I totally disagree with this - "These guys are both elite players and we all should appreciate watching them play the game that we all love."

It’s okay to not like a rival. I hated Marino as well. I despise Tom Brady. He has played in 10 Super Bowls. It’s not okay to LIE about how good they are to seemingly make our guy look better. People complaining about other stars getting props is weird/insecure. We need to be better than that. We can argue the merits of Allen without pretending that Lamar/Mahomes aren’t also elite.

I’m not sure where race entered this conversation? PLEASE do not try to randomly bring race in as a way to say that “race has nothing to do with it.” That was an uncomfortable place to take this conversation for no reason at all…

If you or your sons can’t appreciate the play of Lamar, Allen, Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes then I feel sorry for you. I didn’t say “LIKE” them. I said “APPRECIATE” their accomplishments. Please refrain from using those words interchangeably.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s okay to not like a rival. I hated Marino as well. I despise Tom Brady. He has played in 10 Super Bowls. It’s not okay to LIE about how good they are to seemingly make our guy look better. People complaining about other stars getting props is weird/insecure. We need to be better than that. We can argue the merits of Allen without pretending that Lamar/Mahomes aren’t also elite.

I’m not sure where race entered this conversation? PLEASE do not try to randomly bring race in as a way to say that “race has nothing to do with it.” That was an uncomfortable place to take this conversation for no reason at all…

If you or your sons can’t appreciate the play of Lamar, Allen, Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes then I feel sorry for you. I didn’t say “LIKE” them. I said “APPRECIATE” their accomplishments. Please refrain from using those words interchangeably.

I always feared Marino because of his lighting fast release, but he wasn’t part of the decade plus domination over Buffalo 

The Bills always had the better Playoff record which is what matters a bit more. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

No idea how people don't like Lamar. 

I'm not a fan of that style of offense. Nothing against Lamar, I hear he is good people. But at some point he won't be able to run anymore like RG3 and at that point I don't know if he's one of the top 32 throwers of a football. Fun to watch for now but it all seems like a gimmick to me

Last year right before Lamar got hurt, he had 13 TDs and 10 INTs, and everyone was saying he was the front runner for the MVP. 

The media will always be biased towards Lamar. 

This year, it's justified. If the season ended today, he is the clear MVP. Josh a clear second. No one else even in the conversation. 

Fortunately, there re 14 games left...............................

Sunday will be interesting as I can see a full 60 minutes.  Highlight packages to date show just that, the best plays and often they have seemed pretty much wide open easy completions.  

For instance I will point out Diggs two big catches and that Allen eluded rushes and threw dimes 60 yards in the air each time (and there was coverage).

42 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

But at some point he won't be able to run anymore like RG3 and at that point I don't know if he's one of the top 32 throwers of a football.

This is the last refuge for someone that doesn't want to admit a QB is better than they thought. The last stage of rival QB grief if you will. I see it all the time with fans of other AFC East teams regarding Allen. "Yeah he's good right now, but after all those hits add up he'll probably become Cam Newton in a few years." They can no longer point to his play on the field as a criticism, so they have to point to some undefined time in the future when his style of play will no longer work. That was the last ray of hope we used with Brady, I remember fans as early as 2008 saying it wouldn't be long before he aged out of the position. And yet he wasn't even halfway done with his career at that point.

I find it a particularly morbid form of criticism. The subtext of what you're saying is that you can't wait for his body to break down. Right now he is clearly one of the best passers in football, easily top 10 as a passer alone, the mobility just adds to his overall package. No one knows how QBs like Lamar or Allen will develop their skills in the future. Someday they will have to rely less on their mobility. It doesn't mean that doing so is impossible or will relegate them to the dregs of the league.

We're lucky to have a young generation of great QBs still so early in their careers. I can understand why Jets fans might feel bitter and grasp at straws to explain away the reality of their position in the league. As Bills fans we can claim without an ounce of homerism that we might have the best QB out of all of them. We don't need to be bitter.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is the last refuge for someone that doesn't want to admit a QB is better than they thought. The last stage of rival QB grief if you will. I see it all the time with fans of other AFC East teams regarding Allen. "Yeah he's good right now, but after all those hits add up he'll probably become Cam Newton in a few years." They can no longer point to his play on the field as a criticism, so they have to point to some undefined time in the future when his style of play will no longer work. That was the last ray of hope we used with Brady, I remember fans as early as 2008 saying it wouldn't be long before he aged out of the position. And yet he wasn't even halfway done with his career at that point.

Pats fans, Jets fans and Fish 🐠 fans will be suffering for years and are Jelly 

As to injuries that s/b Lamar not Josh 

that idiot keeps doing flips in the EZ and he’s already hurt himself doing so 

Lamar is absolutely an MPV candidate. Would be silly to suggest he is not.

Folks also need to remember that the MVP is almost entirely dependent on team record. There will be multiple QB's this year with eye popping numbers. There will only be two that finish as the number one seed in their conference. Which ever two QB's those are they will have the best shot at winning MVP. Last year it was Rodgers and Tannehill. Obviously Tannehill was not going to win it so Rodgers had a huge leg up on everyone else. 

So far through only 3 games it looks like Hurts, Allen and Jackson will be those three players with great numbers and  vying for the #1 seed. A sneaky good pick if you are looking outside the top 3 right now would be Trever Lawrence. The Jags have a huge game this week at the Eagles but if they get a W there I think Lawrence could really start making a case for himself. And if the Jags can sweep their lowly division that would go a long way to earning a top seed. 

I'd also never count out Mahomes but they'll have to turn things around and finish with the number 1 seed. I still think they play in the toughest division so I don't see that happening.

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I find it a particularly morbid form of criticism. The subtext of what you're saying is that you can't wait for his body to break down. Right now he is clearly one of the best passers in football, easily top 10 as a passer alone, the mobility just adds to his overall package. No one knows how QBs like Lamar or Allen will develop their skills in the future. Someday they will have to rely less on their mobility. It doesn't mean that doing so is impossible or will relegate them to the dregs of the league.

We're lucky to have a young generation of great QBs still so early in their careers. I can understand why Jets fans might feel bitter and grasp at straws to explain away the reality of their position in the league. As Bills fans we can claim without an ounce of homerism that we might have the best QB out of all of them. We don't need to be bitter.

I had him as the top QB in class of 2018 (but I didn't want the Bills to draft him because I didn't want to be stuck running that type of gimmick offense) and I said he would be the best out the gate but only for 5-7 years. I don't see him playing at this level past age 30 and I don't want that or root for that so how dare you say that. It's the reality of the situation. Just like RB's who only run don't play into their 30's and they aren't required to also throw. If you think without running that he is a top starting QB then you are lying to yourself to try and justify your position. From what I see online it's usually a racial thing. If you say anything about Lamar it's because you are racist apparently.

Edited by KDIGGZ

29 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This.  Spot on my man!

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I had him as the top QB in class of 2018 and I said he would be the best out the gate but only for 5-7 years. I don't see him playing at this level past age 30 and I don't want that or root for that so how dare you say that. It's the reality of the situation. Just like RB's who only run don't play into their 30's and they aren't required to also throw. If you think without running that he is a starting QB then you are lying to yourself to try and justify your position. From what I see online it's usually a racial thing. If you say anything about Lamar it's because you are racist apparently.

Even if Lamar breaks down by the age of 30, he could easily have 3 league MVP's and super bowl or two under his belt. He's only 25 currently. He has 4 more full seasons to play under the age of 30. 

I have my doubts as well about Lamar aging into the position. But there has never been a talent quite like him so can't really make assumptions.

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Even if Lamar breaks down by the age of 30, he could easily have 3 league MVP's and super bowl or two under his belt. He's only 25 currently. He has 4 more full seasons to play under the age of 30. 

I have my doubts as well about Lamar aging into the position. But there has never been a talent quite like him so can't really make assumptions.

And that's the gamble they took when they drafted him.

1. You can only run college style option offense

2. He might get hurt running at any point so then your season is likely toast (last season)

3. He will not likely have longevity (RG3 and every single RB in NFL history as data point)

He doesn't have a contract because he wants guaranteed money and the Ravens aren't that stupid because if he gets hurt they will be paying him to sit at home. The best option for them is franchise tag every year

Edited by KDIGGZ

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.