So, I got concussed Tuesday. My experiences, and others can add theirs.

The Red King

So I fell on Tuesday and cracked my head on the corner of the wall.  This post applies to more then just Tua's concussion, it applies to Trent Edwards and everyone else players or otherwise.  That's why I made a separate post.  Anyone else out there that got a concussion can add their experiences as well.

Let me tell you where I'm at.  Tuesday was bad.  I ended up in the ER.  I was dizzy, with double vision.  When I got home, I was stuck in bed.  Now Wednesday I felt a lot better.  My head was mostly better.  I was fine in bed or in my chair and just a little fuzzy when I got up and moving.  I could move around with pretty much no difficulty.  I figured things were recovering quickly.  On Thursday I felt much the same, no better, no worse.  Then I woke up today.  My head is swimming.  Things are not as bad as Tuesday but they are worse then the last two days.  I need to be careful when I get up and move around.  That's when I discovered I'm not alright and it's going to be some time before I am.  I can't imagine what this is like for football players who are rushed back into playing.  Tua is, of course, the worst example but this applies to anyone who is concussed.

So, what is the point of this post and why is it separate?  I want to get other members' experiences.  How their concussions affected them and how much time it took for them to recover.  I also want this to be a precautionary tale to anyone who gets concussed in the future, to look at these posts and not rush themselves back so that they don't risk additional injury.  Finally, I want this post and additional replies to put NFL concussions in perspective.  Sometimes it's hard to see how concussions can truly impact players, not just short-term, but long term as well.

So TBD members who have suffered concussions, I want to hear your stories as well...

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's normal to have a bad day out of the blue.  I was concussed in April, LOC 45-90 seconds.  Was in a fog for 24 hours after being released, then the fog lifted somewhat.  Started getting random dizzy spells getting up from bed, rolling over in bed, etc.  Turned out that the concussion exacerbated my nearly lifelong vertigo.  I underwent neuro rehab, the tech recognized my symptoms were vertigo, and corrected that (about two months ago).  But April to July were not fun.  Best of luck to you.

• Like (+1) 2

I did have had one concussion as a teenager, getting home drunk one evening and hitting my head on the wall when I was trying (and failing) to get into bed. I also ended up in A&E (that's what we call ER) and was pretty groggy, in bed and felt nauseous for two days afterwards. It is not pleasant. 

• Like (+1) 2

I slipped on a wet concrete floor at an indoor pool facility, hit the back of my head, felt totally fine within a few minutes. Later that night I started puking, then laid down and got really dizzy, went to the ER and had the worst headache of my life. The next few days felt gradually better and felt no effects thereafter.

• Like (+1) 1

Walking to the car in the yard to go to work and  hit a patch of ice.  Landed on the back of my head and got  a nice bump. Made it back in the house and laid down and slept for a few hours. Called work and told them I probably had a concussion. Next day besides the sore back of head , had  a sore right temple (contra cos indication). Was ok fogginess wise, but if I shook my head "no" it would   be sore for a few days.

• Like (+1) 1

I've had concussions where it felt like the room was spinning and I was nauseous, I've had concussions where I had really bad migraine type headaches for a long time, and one time I was completely knocked unconscious and it felt nice like I was taking a nap but when I woke up I didn't know where I was. I think your results may vary when it comes to concussions!

• Like (+1) 1

I have had a least 1 concussion in my adult life and a few probably when I was a kid although unknown... the one as an adult occurred 2 hours before I was to shoot a wedding... old mercedes wagon tail gate came down on the front corner of my head above my hair line... saw stars and and inch and a half cut... applied pressure and stopped the bleeding... shot the wedding but dont remember half the pics i took... the headaches were bad for about a day... no post issues i am aware of but i was stupid never went to a hospital.  Now that I work in hospitals... as a CT Tech, I see them all the time..  the real danger is if there is a brain bleed... ps or too big of a brain bruise which is what a concussion is... different concussions and where they are effect people different ways... they are always risky for long term neuro disorders... 

• Like (+1) 1

Moved to a split level house. I treated the house like football practice. Stairs were hurdles. Going down stairs the ceiling was kind of low and I'd get clothes lined by it if I went down them too fast. I'd hit front of head on the ceiling and back of head on ground. Knocked myself out cold a couple times. Would have crazy bad headaches for a while. My pupils would be huge. Throw up all over. Still get dizzy to this day from them. 

• Like (+1) 1

Got one as a teenager in a pickup football game with my brother and his friends. My bro who is 6yrs older and had a good 70lbs me for whatever reason decided to give me a body slam tackle head first into frozen turf.   Got an instant migraine and blurred vision.  I was afraid to tell anyone so I kept playing.   Blurred vision lasted 12-24hrs migraine lasted 2-3 days. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I played offensive line in HS... Many a time after practices I couldn't remember my locker combination.

Look at me... I am fine! 

They don't make kids like they used to.

😜😜

You can't blame your low IQ on a concussion. ;) 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, The Red King said:

So I fell on Tuesday and cracked my head on the corner of the wall.  This post applies to more then just Tua's concussion, it applies to Trent Edwards and everyone else players or otherwise.  That's why I made a separate post.  Anyone else out there that got a concussion can add their experiences as well.

Let me tell you where I'm at.  Tuesday was bad.  I ended up in the ER.  I was dizzy, with double vision.  When I got home, I was stuck in bed.  Now Wednesday I felt a lot better.  My head was mostly better.  I was fine in bed or in my chair and just a little fuzzy when I got up and moving.  I could move around with pretty much no difficulty.  I figured things were recovering quickly.  On Thursday I felt much the same, no better, no worse.  Then I woke up today.  My head is swimming.  Things are not as bad as Tuesday but they are worse then the last two days.  I need to be careful when I get up and move around.  That's when I discovered I'm not alright and it's going to be some time before I am.  I can't imagine what this is like for football players who are rushed back into playing.  Tua is, of course, the worst example but this applies to anyone who is concussed.

So, what is the point of this post and why is it separate?  I want to get other members' experiences.  How their concussions affected them and how much time it took for them to recover.  I also want this to be a precautionary tale to anyone who gets concussed in the future, to look at these posts and not rush themselves back so that they don't risk additional injury.  Finally, I want this post and additional replies to put NFL concussions in perspective.  Sometimes it's hard to see how concussions can truly impact players, not just short-term, but long term as well.

So TBD members who have suffered concussions, I want to hear your stories as well...

Hope you get well soon.  Concussions are beyond serious, especially if you have several in a short period of time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.