Two Head Injuries Within 4 Days For Tua - Does He Turn Out Like Trent Edwards?

H2o

3 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Doctors get things wrong all the time friend. If they lost their jobs for it, there would be no doctors.

They really don't. Do they make mistakes sometimes? Absolutely. But it is very rare when you look at mistakes as a percentage of their caseload. 

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They really don't. Do they make mistakes sometimes? Absolutely. But it is very rare when you look at mistakes as a percentage of their caseload. 

In the United States, 12 million people are affected by medical diagnostic errors each year.

An estimated 40,000 to 80,000 people die annually from complications from these misdiagnoses.

Women and minorities are 20 to 30 percent more likely to be misdiagnosed.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

While I personally  think he had a concussion against the Bills and thus was more vulnerable, that hit yesterday could cause damage all on its own, even to a man who never had one. It was nasty!

You think? I've watched it repeatedly and have it pulled up right now - I thought he snapped the back of his head harder against Buffalo.

He was ragdolled a bit and whipped to the ground but it wasn't anything like an open field hit that a blindsided receiver might take for example. I got to assume Josh and most QBs jump right up after a roll to the ground like that. Exactly why that reaction was probably due to multiple head knocks.

41 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

In the United States, 12 million people are affected by medical diagnostic errors each year.

An estimated 40,000 to 80,000 people die annually from complications from these misdiagnoses.

Women and minorities are 20 to 30 percent more likely to be misdiagnosed.

And what percentage of total diagnoses is that? It's small. And I imagine a lot of those are more complicated than a concussion examination. 

7 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Doctors get things wrong all the time friend. If they lost their jobs for it, there would be no doctors.

If someone pays a person big bucks to be an independent consultant, no one is coming after them for malpractice for consulting work or taking their certification.

It's too difficult to prove and questionable whether they could even find anything criminal with it.

And in this case the patient was probably the number one person who wanted to go back in.

So who is gonna get in trouble?

In my first response I allowed for an honest mistake by the doc. That’s not the same as  people claiming that the Dolphins somehow arranged to get a concussed Tua back in the field. 

On 9/30/2022 at 8:05 AM, bmur66 said:

We don't know for sure that he suffered a concussion during the Bills game. Yes it appeared that way but I would be shocked if he was allowed to play if he was concussed. He didn't show any affects later in the game.

The dude couldn't walk.

I'd say we know 

• Like (+1) 1

People, this doesn't have anything to do with mistakes by doctors.

They aren't stupid.

They knew 100% what was going on and wanted to keep the No. 1 QB going. I'm sure a certain % of the NFL would do exactly the same, while EVERYONE maintains they would not, and that player safety is No. 1

There is a reason why the protocol was invented in the first place, and it's not because NFL teams have player safety as their number one concern.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Mistakes aren't just incorrect diagnoses. It's failures to diagnose something at all also.

I can make numerous examples but I don't want to get into the weeds on this.  Most Doctors these days are nothing but educated guess making prescription peddlers. It's rare to find a good doctor anymore that can even prescribe a medication without having to google it.

Whay do you call the medical student who graduated last in his or her class?

A doctor.

All the same.

----

The Journal of Patient Safety is a quarterly, peer-reviewed medical journal dedicated to identifying and improving practices for preventing deaths and injuries among medical patients.  In September of 2013, the Journal of Patient Safety published a study examining the frequency of “patient harms associated with hospital care” (i.e. injuries and illness caused by doctor errors in hospital settings).

The study divided doctor mistakes or “preventable adverse events” (PAEs) into five categories: commission errors (performance errors), omission errors (failing to perform a necessary procedure), communication errors (provider-provider, provider-patient), context errors (failing to take all relevant factors into account), and diagnostic errors (misdiagnosis, e.g. missed cancer diagnosis).

The study, which compared data taken from earlier analyses, disputed earlier findings from 2010, in which the Office of Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Services initially stated that PAEs were a factor in 15,000 deaths per month, or about 180,000 deaths per year.

The Journal of Patient Safety study determined that the true numbers were even greater, closer in scope to 210,000 to as many as 440,000 patient deaths each year.  At the “low” end of the spectrum, that’s an average of 575 deaths per day.  If the higher number is correct, that average increases to about 1,205 preventable patient deaths per day – 50 fatalities every hour.

----

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Mistakes aren't just incorrect diagnoses. It's failures to diagnose something at all also.

I can make numerous examples but I don't want to get into the weeds on this.  Most Doctors these days are nothing but educated guess making prescription peddlers. It's rare to find a good doctor anymore that can even prescribe a medication without having to google it.

Whay do you call the medical student who graduated last in his or her class?

A doctor.

All the same.

I am sorry but that us utter, utter nonsense.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am sorry but that us utter, utter nonsense.

I gave you numbers from a study if you can't handle that I'm sorry.  Go back and read the study I quoted.

I have personally experienced it myself when they missed seeing my fathers tumor on an xray and had another doctor find it on the same xray in seconds.

I have had to diagnose myself and was correct on three different issues my doctor just wanted me to pop a pill on and ignore. Sorry but its true in my experience.

You haven't been offered free samples of some pill and seen the lunches brought in by pharmaceutical reps? Do you really think most doctors are in it to help people these days? 

If so I have a bridge to sell you.

Shoot, now they wont even discuss a test result from a previous appointment or get a prescription refill unless you get a new appointment just to make sure they're getting their share often enough.

I didn't want to get into the weeds on this but your assumption on errors is incorrect based on the evidence I provided regardless of my own anecdotal experience with the pill peddlers.

Edited by Sharky7337

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And what percentage of total diagnoses is that? It's small. And I imagine a lot of those are more complicated than a concussion examination. 

10-20%

Here I'll give you how rare it is.  Its so rare that my neck injury with 6 bads discs that was compressing my spinal cord by 50% was misdiagnosed as a shoulder injury and that I should just go do some physical therapy and I'll be fine. I didnt buy it so I got a second opinion but that took me months because workers comp didnt want to approve it until I tried physical therapy.  I fought it.  All the while my body was degrading to the point that I could no longer lift my left arm.  I finally paid for the ***** doctors visit myself to get a different opinion.  He gave me the MRI that I originally wanted that the other doctor refused to (just did a shoulder xray cus god forbid they do something that might cost workers comp some money.). Dr told me it was so bad if I went to physical therapy I would likely be paralyzed or dead right now.  I have a ton of problems and a lot of that has to do with how long my spine was compressed because some doctors around here wont do the right thing and do the needed tests when its on workers comp because workers comp doesnt like paying for it.  They like to do the minimal necessary then work there way up. A lot of doctors follow that corrupt ***** instead of just doing what they know is the right thing because they dont want to deal with comp.  Yes I was told that by the new doctor too.

Story two will be much shorter.  My mother when I was a teenager use to play softball.  She slid into home plate and messed up her knee. I dont remember what the exact injury was but it needed surgery.  The doctor operated initially on the wrong knee.

So dont sit there and tell me mistakes are rare.  They arent rare.  They happen all the time. I dont care if you want to use some well its a small 10 -20% thing.  Its happened twice in my lifetime.  It happens to 12 million people yearly.  Call it rare compared to case load, I don't care but it still happens all the time.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

People, this doesn't have anything to do with mistakes by doctors.

They aren't stupid.

They knew 100% what was going on and wanted to keep the No. 1 QB going. I'm sure a certain % of the NFL would do exactly the same, while EVERYONE maintains they would not, and that player safety is No. 1

There is a reason why the protocol was invented in the first place, and it's not because NFL teams have player safety as their number one concern.

I agree and I dont.  What I dont know is if Tua just went to the sideline and claimed from the get go it was his back.  Its obvious to everyone it was not.  The doctors may have been corrupt or Tua just might not have shown any symptoms in their tests so they went along with the "its the back."  Its really hard to know what really happened.  One thing I can totally say from this situation is that the protocols need to change to remove that loophole so that when someone shows those signs its just an automatic "no go" no matter what.  Tua was 100% failed in this situation and that should never happen again to anyone.

Something that gets over shadowed because everyone sees and thinks head injury but back injuries are serious matters too

A back injury caused a player to fall down while walking, to me that has to be a pretty serious back injury, how does he clear that

Backs are really important in life too, not as much as a head but backs can be scary injuries 

Okay this has gone down a nonsensical rabbit hole. I am truly sorry that you have had bad experiences with doctors @Scott7975 that is sad to hear. But I'm afraid it is absolutely colouring your opinions in this matter. It is not worth debating any further. You think doctors are "educated guess making prescription peddlers" and I am never going to agree with that. They are serious professionals, doing a serious job, and getting it right the overwhelming majority of the time. 

If the examination was carried out, as people are reporting, by the independent neurologist in Miami then I am going to side with his professionalism over your anecdotes. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay this has gone down a nonsensical rabbit hole. I am truly sorry that you have had bad experiences with doctors @Scott7975 that is sad to hear. But I'm afraid it is absolutely colouring your opinions in this matter. It is not worth debating any further. You think doctors are "educated guess making prescription peddlers" and I am never going to agree with that. They are serious professionals, doing a serious job, and getting it right the overwhelming majority of the time. 

If the examination was carried out, as people are reporting, by the independent neurologist in Miami then I am going to side with his professionalism over your anecdotes. 

Wait.  Where did I say doctors are "educated guess making prescription peddlers?"  I said nothing of the sort.  I said two things:

Drs make mistakes.  They make mistakes all the time.  So does everyone in every job.  I also said there are a lot of corrupt doctors out there.  There have been 1000's of doctors put in jail just over prescription fraud with opioides.  There have been 1000s of doctors put in jail, lost their license, etc of insurance fraud.  This is undeniable fact.  Im sorry you want to think all professionals are well... professional just because you are one and you arent corrupt and dont make many mistakes.  Thats just a bias.  Mistakes are made all the time.  There are corrupt doctors everywhere.  I said nothing about "educated guess making prescription peddlers"

There is nothing anectodte about the obvious symptoms Tua displayed for millions to see.  Why do you side with NFL doctors over other top Neurologists that have said from day one it was a concussion?  Are those doctors just making a mistake?  They are trained to see the visual signs.  Tua hit 3 or 4 of those signs on like a 6 list sign.  A concussion test is meaningless and just meant to appease everyone for the NFL.  Concussion tests can be fooled just like lie detector tests can be fooled. We have players speaking out about that happening.  They can be fooled because concussion symptoms can take hours to days to show up.

Edited by Scott7975

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Wait.  Where did I say doctors are "educated guess making prescription peddlers?"  I said nothing of the sort.  I said two things:

Drs make mistakes.  They make mistakes all the time.  So does everyone in every job.  I also said there are a lot of corrupt doctors out there.  There have been 1000's of doctors put in jail just over prescription fraud with opioides.  There have been 1000s of doctors put in jail, lost their license, etc of insurance fraud.  This is undeniable fact.  Im sorry you want to think all professionals are well... professional just because you are one and you arent corrupt and dont make many mistakes.  Thats just a bias.  Mistakes are made all the time.  There are corrupt doctors everywhere.  I said nothing about "educated guess making prescription peddlers"

I am sorry, my bad that was @Sharky7337 - similar screen names at a quick glance. I misquoted you, that was unintentional. 

I am not telling you every professional is perfect, but I think you have a bias against them because of some personal experiences. I am still going to side with the professional, I'm sorry. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am sorry, my bad that was @Sharky7337 - similar screen names at a quick glance. I misquoted you, that was unintentional. 

I am not telling you every professional is perfect, but I think you have a bias against them because of some personal experiences. I am still going to side with the professional, I'm sorry. 

Thats fine.  It happens. Quick pun... people make mistakes 😃 (that was meant for humor not a dig or arguement)

I added this part in anticipation of that response actually:

There is nothing anectodte about the obvious symptoms Tua displayed for millions to see.  Why do you side with NFL doctors over other top Neurologists that have said from day one it was a concussion?  Are those doctors just making a mistake?  They are trained to see the visual signs.  Tua hit 3 or 4 of those signs on like a 6 list sign.  A concussion test is meaningless and just meant to appease everyone for the NFL.  Concussion tests can be fooled just like lie detector tests can be fooled. We have players speaking out about that happening.  They can be fooled because concussion symptoms can take hours to days to show up.

Edited by Scott7975

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.