Two Head Injuries Within 4 Days For Tua - Does He Turn Out Like Trent Edwards?

H2o

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I certainly hope not. Kid is off to a great start and emerged as one of the league's elite QB's in his 3rd year similar to JA17.

If I were the Bills I'd tread very lightly with JA17 going forward as well considering all the injuries in this league including to all 3 starting QB's on the division rival teams. No more designed run crap and certainly need the oline to step up big time going forward!

I don't know that you can stop QBs from getting hit in the pocket. They get hit after they throw all the time.

42 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I would put big money on that. 

The only reason I would say he doesn't is the NFL is on the retreat and knows this is an atrocious look across the board for the league. There is no way they want a guy playing after that considering the now two back to back hits he has and the outrage that has stemmed when it clearly looked like Sunday he was concussed and protocol was not followed to the fullest extent.

If it was the Phins medical team he is playing. If it was the Chargers they would've brought him back from the hospital and played him last night.

The effects from concussions are cumulative. When he returns he will be subject to many more hits. There is a good possibility that he starts bailing early on his throws. I would not blame him. When he went down in the Bills game, regardless of the sham evaluation by the medical staff, you do not put him back in that game if you had one ounce of caring for that individual’s well being. The Dolphins organization is a joke.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BRH said:

We all remember if we were there.  I was at the Chargers game after the hit (the no-power game).  Concussions can take a while to manifest their effects.  After that game he was never the same and you'll never convince me that the Wilson hit didn't play a part.

Oh I know urban myths are urban myths for a reason.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, wjag said:

I have a hard time believing and independent neurologist cleared him to play if he was concussed.  I know what it looked like, but I just can't get there to be was concussed and allowed to play.  There are too many checks and balances that would need to be betrayed for that to happen.  And it was so overt.  It's not like it happened and he was hidden away.  Coming back on the field when everyone was watching and asking and questioning..  Something ELSE is going on with him.  

Agreed. People are propagating a myth that the Phins put Tua back on the field after an obvious concussion. That’s simply not how it works. An independent NFL neurotrauma consultant cleared him. Is it possible that Tua was concussed and still cleared protocol? Sure, everyone is capable of mistakes and even experts do not know everything about concussions and how the human body reacts to them. But it is unlikely with the steps the NFL has been taking to protect players from head injury - and themselves from associated lawsuits.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I'd bet my entire life's savings he doesn't. I bet he sits for two or three weeks at the least. The Miami Dolphins and the NFL are now directly in the spotlight. Every sports network in America is all over this story today. He will not be allowed to see the field for at least a couple of weeks. 

Heck, it was featured on my local news this morning.  

One can tell how old a Bills fan by asking which team they hate the most.  Bills Mafia under 50 hates the Pats the most, us Bills fans over 50 hate the Dolphins the most, deep wounds from 70s.

That being said, I pray that Tua is alright.  And it disgusts me as a human being the Dolphins had complete disregard for Tua’s health.

I hope they dock Fins many top draft picks for years to come, and fine the ***** out of them.

Miami should be made an example that players health is a priority, and that the league is taking head trauma seriously 

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

I certainly hope not. Kid is off to a great start and emerged as one of the league's elite QB's in his 3rd year similar to JA17.

If I were the Bills I'd tread very lightly with JA17 going forward as well considering all the injuries in this league including to all 3 starting QB's on the division rival teams. No more designed run crap and certainly need the oline to step up big time going forward!

LOL. He's had one epic quarter out of 14 quarters of football. In other words, in the 13 of the 14 quarters of football he has played this year he has looked exactly like 2021 Tua. Take away the single best quarter of football from the 2022 season so far for Allen, Hurts and Jackson and those three QB's are still having great seasons. Take away Tua's best single best quarter and he is having an average season at best. Maybe even below average. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am sorry but we don't know that it was two head injuries. As far as we know the concussion protocol was followed to the letter which means an independent neurologist at the game cleared Tua to go back into the game on Sunday. Unless some evidence comes to light to say that is not what happened I'm not going to second guess an independent neurologist who had carried out a proper examination based on me as a layman looking at tv footage. 

If the protocol was NOT followed to the letter then people need to be held to account and the penalties should be severe. 

I agree, Bill.  I can't really blame the independent neurologist.  There are tests and if Tua clears them, he's good to go.  But there are supposed to be independent spotters who look for visual signs of a concussion on the field, and there were multiple signs, we all saw them clear as day when he wobbled and his arms went up towards his head (that ain't no back injury).  Once those are spotted, the guy needs to be put on ice for the rest of the game, and that didn't happen.  That's where the failure took place.  Not sure if that's a team thing or an NFL thing or what.  So it's hard to pin the blame on the Dolphins coaches or doctors.  If Tua passed the standard concussion tests, the Fins are going to play him, just as any other team in the league would have.  Now it's on the NFL going forward to put in more stringent measures to protect these guys in similar situations.  It might be as severe as if a guy shows any signs of neurological impairment on the field, he's done for that game and the following week.  I don't know enough about the science of head injuries, but additional protections are warranted, IMO.

• Agree 1

I  recall many years ago Hines Ward once admitted that when he received a head injury in a game, he clutched his ankle and feigned a leg injury because he knew there was a strong likelihood that if anyone realized it was a head injury that he would be pulled from the game and maybe additional games as well. These players are warriors -- who often do not have their own physical best interests at heart. These protocols, in fact, exist to protect them from themselves.

In Tua's case, in particular, he knows that Miami was wooing Brady and taking a long look at acquiring Watson -- he was also coming off a career-defining game, and desperately wanted to build off that. So, it makes sense that he would want to claim that he received an injury to his back (which may have also been the case) rather than a head injury. An independent neurologist should have observed his staggering after the shove and head bouncing off the turf -- and deemed that was evidence of potential head trauma. In that case, against whatever protests Tua may have, he should have been ruled out for the remainder of the game on Sunday for his own good. If he was able to clear concussion protocol after the game, great. But better to err on the side of caution.

For their part, Miami was mortified when Teddy B. came in and looked like a fish-out-of-water against the rival Bills -- so they did not feel like asking questions when Tua claimed the injury was to his back and not his head. Someone who cares about the young man should have stepped up and insisted that he sit out. The coaches, management, training staff, and medical team for the Dolphins failed him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Agreed. People are propagating a myth that the Phins put Tua back on the field after an obvious concussion. That’s simply not how it works. An independent NFL neurotrauma consultant cleared him. Is it possible that Tua was concussed and still cleared protocol? Sure, everyone is capable of mistakes and even experts do not know everything about concussions and how the human body reacts to them. But it is unlikely with the steps the NFL has been taking to protect players from head injury - and themselves from associated lawsuits.

Myth? It’s less than 4 days old and no conclusive investigation and it’s an already a myth? You’re burying the lead. The bigger story is that millions of people have eyes they shouldn’t believe. Eye doctor appointments for all! But most especially the spotters. 

45 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

LOL. He's had one epic quarter out of 14 quarters of football. In other words, in the 13 of the 14 quarters of football he has played this year he has looked exactly like 2021 Tua. Take away the single best quarter of football from the 2022 season so far for Allen, Hurts and Jackson and those three QB's are still having great seasons. Take away Tua's best single best quarter and he is having an average season at best. Maybe even below average. 

Disagree, Tua is right up there as one of the league's elite QB's and and all the reliable metric sources confirm this. Division rival or not it will be really unfortunate if his season is derailed because of how Miami handled his injury situation the last few weeks.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Disagree, Tua is right up there as one of the league's elite QB's and and all the reliable metric sources confirm this. Division rival or not it will be really unfortunate if his season is derailed because of how Miami handled his injury situation the last few weeks.

Hahahahahaha you are delusional beyond  belief. Since when does 1 good quartering 4 games make you elite?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

Hahahahahaha you are delusional beyond  belief. Since when does 1 good quartering 4 games make you elite?

Couldn't you say the same thing about Mahomes/Allen/etc?

Rarely do elite QB's play a great 4 quarters, week after week.

I get that I'm not going to convince some folks that Tua/Miami are a great team even though the evidence is right in front of the homers if they paid attention last week.

Either way I still see Miami as the division favorite right now until proven otherwise. If Tua is out for an extended period of time that obviously changes though.

• Disagree 3

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

Couldn't you say the same thing about Mahomes/Allen/etc?

Rarely do elite QB's play a great 4 quarters, week after week.

I get that I'm not going to convince some folks that Tua/Miami are a great team even though the evidence is right in front of the homers if they paid attention last week.

Either way I still see Miami as the division favorite right now until proven otherwise. If Tua is out for an extended period of time that obviously changes though.

No, you cannot... you are a troll and nothing more. You haven't posted anything that convinces anyone all you say is "they are the best, Tua is elite" but have never been able to back it up.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.