Two Head Injuries Within 4 Days For Tua - Does He Turn Out Like Trent Edwards?

H2o

7 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Ian Rapaport on NFLN just alluded to Sunday saying Tua didn't go through concussion protocol because it was determined to be a neck injury and not a head injury. Now, that makes more sense than clearing it at halftime.

Geez, I think that would make it even worse. The guy goes wobbly at the knees due to a supposed neck injury and they put him back in without x-rays and scans. That would be criminal wouldn't it?

• Like (+1) 3

No idea where Tua's career goes from here. 

But to me Tua is two things. Injury prone and when not on the field just, meh. The guy has had one great quarter this season. Out of about 13 or 14 quarters he has played. 13 of the 14 quarters he has played this season he has looked exactly like the 2021 Tua. A Tua that simply isn't good enough and a Tua that had the entire Miami organization wanting to bring in Brady or Deshaun Watson. 

He has one epic quarter and he suddenly is viewed as a better QB now. Never made any sense. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dibs said:

Geez, I think that would make it even worse. The guy goes wobbly at the knees due to a supposed neck injury and they put him back in without x-rays and scans. That would be criminal wouldn't it?

I don't know if it ends up being criminal because so much of the world functions now around perceiving reality as how you want it to be rather than how it is. There's an ever-shrinking pool of objective truths that can be commonly agreed upon by reasonable people, apparently including whether grabbing your helmet and stumbling around is a symptom of that hit you took to the head 10 seconds prior.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not a Dr. nor do I even play one on TV.  However, I know we have some on this board who might provide some insights.  I have had concussions and I would feel horrible for a day but would pretty much recover.  I have heard others say they were in bed for a month.  Reactions vary widely, I get that.  What has me curious, though, is certain similarities between Tua's injuries that seem otherwise odd.  I realize that with the Milano "hit" which was really not even a particularly violent shove, that Tua's head whiplashed in a classic contrecoup injury scenario.  But even so, the hit to his head did not seem violent by NFL standards and with the equipment he has seemed odd that he was so wobbly.  Then, even if you accept conspiracy theories about Dr.s allowing a concussed Tua to go back in, he did seem well enough to perform well in that second half.  It wasn't like when Kelly tried to go back in and Thurman turned to the sidelines and gave the crazy symbol.  Then, he's clearly to play last night and even though his reaction to the hit was horrific, he was quickly cleared to fly home.  So, he seems easily concussed but quick to recover.  Could he have some kind of underlying issue that might trigger a concussion...but then disappear?  Almost like if you have a nerve that is easily pinched that can get pinched, causing severe symptoms but then seem to be cured quickly (though just waiting to be bumped the same way again)?

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

That was a fencing reaction last night which is a sign of brain trauma...NFLPA head DeMaurice Smith released a statement that they will be pursuing every legal option against the NFL and doctors who allowed him back in last week's game if it is found they did not follow protocol properly.

Honestly, I think Tua's career is going to be a short one...set aside the head injuries, he gets hurt a lot. I believe every season so far he has been out multiple games due to some type of injury.

Would certainly be sad if he has a short career for this - Dolphins screwed up twice.

At some point Tua's thoughts will need to start to shift towards his post-NFL life.

Wish him well!

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Ian Rapaport on NFLN just alluded to Sunday saying Tua didn't go through concussion protocol because it was determined to be a neck injury and not a head injury. Now, that makes more sense than clearing it at halftime.

if this is true, then the system is broken. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, wjag said:

if this is true, then the system is broken. 

To clarify, what Rapoport actually said was "he was removed from concussion protocol after it was determined to be a neck/back injury" Sunday. He stated this was done by both team doctors and independent neuro, who determined there was "no neurological component."

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Bringing up one of the great urban myths in Biils history.  Trent Edwards best game was his first game back after the Cardinals game concussion.   He was just not that good and was not able to adjust to how defenses played him. 

100% This. 

I really think that Cleveland Monday night game where he threw something like 5 first half interceptions was what turned him into captain check down. Dude just had no confidence after that. But again, he really never was that good, and seemingly never actually liked playing football all that much. Dude always seemed like he would have much rather been at a Dodgers game. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

We all know last Sunday was not a back injury. He CLEARLY had a concussion, mild or whatever. Slammed his head on the ground, got up to walk, shook his head real quick trying to clear the cobwebs, then began to wobble when he walked, and teammates had to help him. Last night he has a head injury of a more gruesome variety. That one was scary. Laying there with his fingers all twisted up after being slammed to the ground by a 300+ lb man. It made me think of Trent Edwards and the Adrian Wilson hit. Trent was looking like the QB we had been waiting for until that day. That one hit changed everything. After that he was scared to death in the pocket. His career continued as a backup for a few years, but he was never the same. Tua was just starting his ascension after a couple of mediocre seasons and now this happens. He was definitely playing better. But now one has to wonder if this will change that trajectory. Will he be scared in the pocket? Will he see "ghosts" and be rattled at the first sense of pressure? Mentally, and physically, will he be able to overcome this? Sidney Crosby, different sport I know, has missed a ton of time due to head injuries and I don't believe he's been the same since that terrible concussion he had. I hope Tua returns to full health and doesn't have life altering effects from this. It still makes you wonder with how bad it looked last night on the field. 

I don't think we do know that.

It's a guess.

It certainly looked that way, but injuries aren't as easy to diagnose as we'd like to think they are. Doctors make mistakes, some injuries have similar symptoms. It's just not as clear as all that.

If they did somehow cheat his way through that, the team is sick. There's an unaffiliated Neurotrama consultant in the medical tent. I suppose it's possible they could get to the guy somehow but more likely is just that he didn't show the symptoms in the locker room.

Will he have effects? No way to know. No way to do anything but guess, really, and why do that?

• Dislike 1

Would Tua really put his health and safety last?  Guy has had some brutal injuries going back to college so perhaps he wants to shake the injury prone label but I don't think he would.  Guys always wanna play and the team needs to hold them back.   If he didn't want to play he could tell them he's not good. Need to hear from Tua on what happened. 

I agree with the sentiment that the first injury WAS a concussion (my personal unprofessional opinion),  but does anyone not like the way 68 for Cincy slung him to the ground?  I mean, if ANYONE hit their head on the ground that hard I can't imagine them escaping brain trauma. 

I know football is a tough sport - and sometimes you see athletic QBs get away with plays bc the defense is trying to tackle them without a penalty, but that particular play keeps failing my eye test regarding "good" football vs. intent to injure.

Edited by TDO'Kearney

I never believed he'd be more than mediocre.  I think his first 2 starts were a product of having 2 great WRs and a new HC, leading defenses not knowing what to expect.  I was not impressed at all watching him vs Buffalo and last night minus that bomb to Waddle. 

So I believe he'll still be the same, a middle of the pack, game manager QB

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Bringing up one of the great urban myths in Biils history.  Trent Edwards best game was his first game back after the Cardinals game concussion.   He was just not that good and was not able to adjust to how defenses played him. 

We all remember if we were there.  I was at the Chargers game after the hit (the no-power game).  Concussions can take a while to manifest their effects.  After that game he was never the same and you'll never convince me that the Wilson hit didn't play a part.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

Would certainly be sad if he has a short career for this - Dolphins screwed up twice.

At some point Tua's thoughts will need to start to shift towards his post-NFL life.

Wish him well!

Not only from this...he is very injury prone outside of head injuries...every year he goes down for multiple games.

Tom Brady might be the most relieved man in America this morning.  He very nearly signed with the Dolphins in the offseason.  Now, seeing how the Dolphins handle injuries to its QB he can be thankful he never went to Miami.

Tua had a concussion on Sunday, but the head coach needed him on the field, so suddenly he had a back injury.  Last night, Tua had a 2nd "back injury" but this was a lot more scary and impossible to diagnose as anything other than a head injury.  The unnatural curving of his fingers, as he lay on the field, was disturbing and as the announcer said, "was a neurological response to head trauma", quoting a trainer for the Jacksonville Jaguars.  

The NFL should throw the book at Miami.  They've already deprived them of their 1st round pick in the 2023 draft for past transgressions, but apparently in Miami they'll break the rules until they're caught.  Well, they got caught and suspensions should be in order. 

Best wishes to Tua for a speedy recovery.  But he should get a 2nd opinion instead of relying solely on the Miami team doctors.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TDO'Kearney said:

I agree with the sentiment that the first injury WAS a concussion (my personal unprofessional opinion),  but does anyone not like the way 68 for Cincy slung him to the ground?  I mean, if ANYONE hit their head on the ground that hard I can't imagine them escaping brain trauma. 

I was a little surprised initially that there was no flag.  But focusing on the hit detracts from the bigger point:  he should not have been out there to begin with.

Wait. We didn't play the dolphins this week and lose to them and there is still a thread about Tua and concussions.

I was under the impression such threads were only the result of us being sore losers and just wanted him to be benched so we could win.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, MPL said:

100% This. 

I really think that Cleveland Monday night game where he threw something like 5 first half interceptions was what turned him into captain check down. Dude just had no confidence after that. But again, he really never was that good, and seemingly never actually liked playing football all that much. Dude always seemed like he would have much rather been at a Dodgers game. 

I'd say it was a combination.  He lost a lot of the pocket presence after that.  He either checked down or was sacked.  

26 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

There's an unaffiliated Neurotrama consultant in the medical tent. I suppose it's possible they could get to the guy somehow but more likely is just that he didn't show the symptoms in the locker room.

We need to know who the unaffiliated "consultant" is.  Does the league have a pool of consultants that they randomly fly out to each game, or (as is more likely) do the consultants come from the home team's area?  Strangely enough, a lot of doctors like football, too.  They may even have a favorite team.

Edited by BRH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.