Two Head Injuries Within 4 Days For Tua - Does He Turn Out Like Trent Edwards?

H2o

We all know last Sunday was not a back injury. He CLEARLY had a concussion, mild or whatever. Slammed his head on the ground, got up to walk, shook his head real quick trying to clear the cobwebs, then began to wobble when he walked, and teammates had to help him. Last night he has a head injury of a more gruesome variety. That one was scary. Laying there with his fingers all twisted up after being slammed to the ground by a 300+ lb man. It made me think of Trent Edwards and the Adrian Wilson hit. Trent was looking like the QB we had been waiting for until that day. That one hit changed everything. After that he was scared to death in the pocket. His career continued as a backup for a few years, but he was never the same. Tua was just starting his ascension after a couple of mediocre seasons and now this happens. He was definitely playing better. But now one has to wonder if this will change that trajectory. Will he be scared in the pocket? Will he see "ghosts" and be rattled at the first sense of pressure? Mentally, and physically, will he be able to overcome this? Sidney Crosby, different sport I know, has missed a ton of time due to head injuries and I don't believe he's been the same since that terrible concussion he had. I hope Tua returns to full health and doesn't have life altering effects from this. It still makes you wonder with how bad it looked last night on the field. 

• Like (+1) 6

He won’t want to but he should consider retirement after that hit.  Concussions build on each other and after one as serious as that, the slightest bumps to his head will cause blurred vision and headaches.  I couldn’t imagine playing nfl football with a loose noggin.

If he wants to milk more money out of football I’d suggest he tries to remain a backup for a long hit-free career.

• Like (+1) 7

He shouldn't have played the second half of the Bills game, plus the Dolphins didn't disclose his head injury and didn't list him on the injury report for it (had him listed for back/ankle).  He most likely had lingering effects of a concussion at the start of last nights game, and that hit finished him off.  

Obviously they couldn't have listed him for a head injury after hiding it the second half against the Bills Sunday.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 6

The comparison I’m thinking of is Rob Johnson. Tua has sustained all kinds of injuries, starting with the hip at Alabama. I’m starting to think his body just isn’t meant to withstand the rigors of NFL football. 

I really hope the kid is ok, and that he makes the best decision for his future health. 

Oh, and eff the stinking Fish. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 6

27 minutes ago, H2o said:

We all know last Sunday was not a back injury. He CLEARLY had a concussion, mild or whatever. Slammed his head on the ground, got up to walk, shook his head real quick trying to clear the cobwebs, then began to wobble when he walked, and teammates had to help him. Last night he has a head injury of a more gruesome variety. That one was scary. Laying there with his fingers all twisted up after being slammed to the ground by a 300+ lb man. It made me think of Trent Edwards and the Adrian Wilson hit. Trent was looking like the QB we had been waiting for until that day. That one hit changed everything. After that he was scared to death in the pocket. His career continued as a backup for a few years, but he was never the same. Tua was just starting his ascension after a couple of mediocre seasons and now this happens. He was definitely playing better. But now one has to wonder if this will change that trajectory. Will he be scared in the pocket? Will he see "ghosts" and be rattled at the first sense of pressure? Mentally, and physically, will he be able to overcome this? Sidney Crosby, different sport I know, has missed a ton of time due to head injuries and I don't believe he's been the same since that terrible concussion he had. I hope Tua returns to full health and doesn't have life altering effects from this. It still makes you wonder with how bad it looked last night on the field. 

My thoughts exactly when I saw that play last night. This could end his career like Trent Edwards, I remember that play so well, early in the season and playing well and that one play ended it all even though he recovered physically he had footsteps in his head and was never the same player.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, eball said:

The comparison I’m thinking of is Rob Johnson. Tua has sustained all kinds of injuries, starting with the hip at Alabama. I’m starting to think his body just isn’t meant to withstand the rigors of NFL football. 

I really hope the kid is ok, and that he makes the best decision for his future health. 

Oh, and eff the stinking Fish. 

The kid is fragile when it comes to getting tackled/hit, I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, Tua is physically weak in this respect, he should, as was posted up thread think about his future, and give retirement from football serious thought, McDaniels and his team’s doctors  are doing an RG3 to him…, 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

What is going on in Miami?   

Tua “cleared concussion protocol “ and played the second half.  Lots of us are leary of back injury story.  Then we hear reports of the nflpa investigating the doctors.   He plays again four days later and Bamm.  

What is going on with that team?   This is terrible.  I wish him well.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1

That was a fencing reaction last night which is a sign of brain trauma...NFLPA head DeMaurice Smith released a statement that they will be pursuing every legal option against the NFL and doctors who allowed him back in last week's game if it is found they did not follow protocol properly.

Honestly, I think Tua's career is going to be a short one...set aside the head injuries, he gets hurt a lot. I believe every season so far he has been out multiple games due to some type of injury.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

That was a fencing reaction last night which is a sign of brain trauma...NFLPA head DeMaurice Smith released a statement that they will be pursuing every legal option against the NFL and doctors who allowed him back in last week's game if it is found they did not follow protocol properly.

It's this type of thing that will bring down the league for good and they only bring it upon themselves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

Bringing up one of the great urban myths in Biils history.  Trent Edwards best game was his first game back after the Cardinals game concussion.   He was just not that good and was not able to adjust to how defenses played him. 

A lot of people are fine, or close to fine, after the concussion.  It sometimes takes a short bit after before the symptoms get bad.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

What is going on in Miami?   

Tua “cleared concussion protocol “ and played the second half.  Lots of us we Leary of 5he back injury story.  Then we hear reports of the nflpa investigating the doctors.   He plays again four days later and Bamm.  

What is going on with that team?   This is terrible.  I wish him well.  

I have to agree. The Dolphins organization will have some explaining to do to the league. If nothing else, some serious fines need to be levied and their teams concussion protocol doctor needs to be fired\license revoked. 

Tua is a fierce competitor, something I respect deeply; as I am sure you and others here do as well. I also wish him well. I wouldn't even wish that type of injury on Tom Brady.  

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bmur66 said:

We don't know for sure that he suffered a concussion during the Bills game. Yes it appeared that way but I would be shocked if he was allowed to play if he was concussed. He didn't show any affects later in the game.

Highly,highly suspicious ! 

Millions watched the Bills game and saw his head clang off the turf.
We also clearly saw him collapse twice.

And he sure as hell, wasn’t holding his ‘back’!

That young man may be finito now.

This is on the Fish for letting him play.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 8

I have a hard time believing and independent neurologist cleared him to play if he was concussed.  I know what it looked like, but I just can't get there to be concussed and allowed to play.  There are too many checks and balances that would need to be betrayed for that to happen.  And it was so overt.  It's not like it happened and he was hidden away.  Coming back on the field when everyone was watching and asking and questioning..  Something ELSE is going on with him.  

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Ninkovic was just talking about it on "Get Up" and got completely emotional. He said this was part of the reason he walked away when he did. He began to talk about Junior Seau for a second, mentioning his locker was beside Junior. He said he saw a lot of things you don't want to see. Chris Canty also said there is no way Tua should have been on the field for the 2nd half on Sunday, nor last night. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.