Tua has a Charity - Let's Give It A Boost!!!

Allen2Diggs

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Both of those organizations have administrative costs that must be met somehow.   My 25% ti both helps them cover their fundraising and admin costs.

Remarkable how much you guys will argue to try to convince people not to do good.  

Good night boys.  Knock yourselves out 

There is zero reason why a charity needs to take 25% of donations. It’s absurd. They cry “admin costs” as a way to pay themselves a salary.

There are plenty of charities that give 99% or more of donations and don’t take it for “admin costs”.

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/20-incredible-charities-that-give-99-of-the-money-they-get-to-the-actual-cause-2017-12-28

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Chartiy Navigator says the typical charity spends 75% on program/grant making. 15% on admin and 10% on fundraising.  So that means most, probably the great majority of charities, are 60% or better.

Maybe Tua will take all my money and give his oline a vacation in Hawaii, but the odds are much better that my $17 is going to a good cause.  

If I'm writing a $100,000 check, sure, I'll do some research.  For $100, I'll trust people.  

That number is for A-Rated charities.  Low-rated charities can be below 25%.

Everyone should go to the top Charity Rating Organizations before they donate.

Especially when it comes to Veteran's charities.  Some are the best and some are the worse.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Both of those organizations have administrative costs that must be met somehow.   My 25% ti both helps them cover their fundraising and admin costs.

Remarkable how much you guys will argue to try to convince people not to do good.  

Good night boys.  Knock yourselves out 

Shaw, what you are not understanding is that Tua's org doesn't have a direct impact.  If you wanted to give to one of the other non-profits he gives grants to you could just give directly to that org and have a bigger impact. 

Also many non-profits meet their admin costs in different ways. Good ones with have 90% or more of your funds go to the cause. 

You say you are doing good with your money but are you really? You're throwing away 44% if both are typical, maybe more. 

I don't think asking folks to think about their "giving" in a way that has the most impact is a bad thing.  Do you care about yourself or the cause?

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't deny that it happens.  But there is a lot of oversight, including federal tax laws, and a lot of people watching most charities.  That all tends to keep the abuses relatively low.   That includes the watchdog agencies that publish lots of data.   And what I said about administrative costs still holds.   Someone earning $200,000 a year as CFO or CEO of a foundation with $200,000,000 in assets earns every nickel, but to some critics it looks like a lot.  And, indirectly, those services are provided for the benefit of people in need.  

If you take all of the charitable dollars given in the country and compare it to total administrative cost, the amount spend on administration on average is not inappropriate.  

This isn't directly to this post but your overall presentation.

Have you ever worked with or served on a board for a non-prof?

2 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I currently do, what's the question?

Just curious.

Just curious why he seems to want to speak so knowledgeably.

Non-profs are kind of gross. I have been on 4 executive boards, serving 4 different posts as an officer. It's amazing to see how money is cooked and booked. How one hand shakes another non prof hand, etc. 

16 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Non-profs are kind of gross. I have been on 4 executive boards, serving 4 different posts as an officer. It's amazing to see how money is cooked and booked. How one hand shakes another non prof hand, etc. 

Out of sheer curiosity, since you have been on 4 EB, why didn't you divest from this model after the first?

Also, what are the NP where you were on EB?  If they are as shady as you claim, they must be taken to account.  NP is no joke, and if someone is breaking the rules, then they need to face consequences.

Edited by TheCockSportif

26 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Would you please take your garbage to the politics board?

Is this place moderated at all now?

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I serve on one now and it has state and federal guidance/oversight - you have to submit and be granted approval from the Secretary of the State office, and we have to file taxes each years where "book cooking" is a bit far-fetched at least in my experience with smaller non-profits.

Of course folks should keep in mind that there are several different types of non-profit organizations and not all are charitable or provide a lot of insight into their sources of income or spend. 
https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/private-foundations/types-of-foundations

For the charitable non-profits I have worked with there is a lot of volunteerism, but I have not personally seen nafarious/malicious mismanagement. Just some incompetence by well-meaning individuals in over their heads.

For the one I serve on now. We have outside CPAs to manage the books/tax filings, we keep expenses in line with state and federal guidance for anything per diem related and account for them, file the appropriate tax forms for employees, have fixed expense categories that are easly justified, and we are expected to present a transparent P&L at the end of each fiscal year which we post for members to review.

We set a goal of keeping a baseline budget of X number of months of operation expenses for disruptions (like Covid) and at the end of each year determine if we are running in the red or in the black and adjust expeditures or fundraising to keep a balanced budget.

Well-meaning folks looking to donate to charities should just do a bit of due-dilligence before committing funds to any venture if they care about how the funds are going to be used.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I have served on one and it has state and federal guidance/oversight - you have to submit and be granted approval from the Secretary of the State office, and we have to file taxes each years where "book cooking" is a bit far-fetched at least in my experience with smaller non-profits.

Of course folks should keep in mind that there are several different types of non-profit organizations and not all are charitable or provide a lot of insight into their sources of income or spend. 
https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/private-foundations/types-of-foundations

For the charitable non-profits I have worked with there is a lot of volunteerism, but I have not personally seen nafarious/malicious mismanagement. Just some incompetence by well-meaning individuals in over their heads.

For the one I serve on now. We have outside CPAs to manage the books/tax filings, we keep expenses in line with state and federal guidance for anything per diem related and account for them, file the appropriate tax forms for employees, have fixed expense categories that are easly justified, and we are expected to present a transparent P&L at the end of each fiscal year which we post for members to review.

We set a goal of keeping a baseline budget of X number of months of operation expenses for disruptions (like Covid) and at the end of each year determine if we are running in the red or in the black and adjust expeditures or fundraising to keep a balanced budget.

Well-meaning folks looking to donate to charities should just do a bit of due-dilligence before committing funds to any venture if they care about how the funds are going to be used.

I generally agree with the bold, and that is why I never give to strange requests from groups I’ve never heard of. I basically have three categories. Like @Shaw66 I’ll throw $100 at the Andy Dalton Foundation or for Luke Knox without blinking. If we are talking serious money, there is more scrutiny. Then there is the “exception category” where I just know it’s a good cause without too much research. My wife was on the Board at SJ Jude Children’s Hospital for years. They are in that category, and I’m sure we can all name a few others. We have ours, and I’m sure others have theirs. Still, big money means you’d better know who you are dealing with. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

This isn't directly to this post but your overall presentation.

Have you ever worked with or served on a board for a non-prof?

I have chaired the board of two of the largest urban nonprofits in the country.  

I've also created and helped run privatee foundations like Tua's. I've also earned with financial advisors like Tua's.   I've also created and operated a public charity.

I know I don't need to look up data about Tua's foundation to give it $17.

I gave a Boy Scout $5 this morning.  I hope $1.25 isn't going to administration, but I don't really know.  Maybe his scout master is going to spend it on booze.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Process said:

Bills fans' constant need for attention never ceases to amaze me.

This may take the cake. 

Holy crap. 

Yep. And like clockwork:

reply after reply of people posting their donation confirmation in here. Exactly what I was saying earlier in the thread. It’s crass, insincere and embarrassing. And this account is probably the biggest promoter of these stunts.

Edited by JoPoy88

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yep. And like clockwork:

reply after reply of people posting their donation confirmation in here. Exactly what I was saying earlier in the thread. It’s crass, insincere and embarrassing. And this account is probably the biggest promoter of this ****. 

It's absurd. 

The Bills have a good team now. Let's stop being so damn insecure. Guy.....not on the bills.....gets injured against a team....thats not the bills......creating a situation that......has absolutely nothing to do with the Bills. 

"Bills Mafia, you know what to do"

Oh shut up. 

We don't need to cry for attention anymore, we get plenty of it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Process said:

Bills fans' constant need for attention never ceases to amaze me.

This may take the cake. 

Holy crap. 

Maybe some of the people are looking for attention and maybe some just like to feel like they are part of something bigger that is good. If you do not want to give, no problem, but why judge people's intentions when you do not actually know them. I personally have not given to one of these Bills pop-up charitable things, because my wife and I have certain charities that we are passionate about that we give significantly to. I am happy with what I do, and these people perhaps are happy with what they do. Criticizing people helping others (for whatever their internal motivations are) does not seem to be a good use of time.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Maybe some of the people are looking for attention and maybe some just like to feel like they are part of something bigger that is good. If you do not want to give, no problem, but why judge people's intentions when you do not actually know them. I personally have not given to one of these Bills pop-up charitable things, because my wife and I have certain charities that we are passionate about that we give significantly to. I am happy with what I do, and these people perhaps are happy with what they do. Criticizing people helping others (for whatever their internal motivations are) does not seem to be a good use of time.

if people just gave to good causes they care about quietly with some dignity then there’d be nothing to criticize would there be? 

No we need to tell everybody we donated to join in on the fun. Post our receipt from the website to virtue signal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I've also created and helped run privatee foundations like Tua's. I've also earned with financial advisors like Tua's.   I've also created and operated a public charity.

I gave a Boy Scout $5 this morning.  I hope $1.25 isn't going to administration, but I don't really know.  Maybe his scout master is going to spend it on booze.  

I am with you about the smaller dollar donations. I don't give a lot of thought to those and just figure I am paying it forward - karma and all.

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I am glad and happy you're able to do this with an educated basis. We disagree on the value of some non-profs, perhaps but the greater good is still there.

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Would you please take your garbage to the politics board?

Is this place moderated at all now?

This was not a political post nor is it justified to call an opinion other than tours garbage. That's disrespectful and doesn't allow for open discussion of topics.

JMO of course. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.