Dolphins @ Bengals - TNF Game Thread

Simon

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Aw, looks like the "best team in the NFL" isn't.

Maybe these cracker Miami fans can pipe down now.

They aren't the best and I think the bills are strongly a better team.

However in fairness to Miami- They are coming off a short week when their D played 90 plays in the heat, they are travelling on the road, and they lost their starting QB in the 2nd quarter.

Pretty tough circumstances for them last night to be fair.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I'm not a firefighter. 😑

I was just there as an audience. The night the warehouse burned down most of the locals turned out to watch and drink beer at the bar on the corner. I was there drinking!

And then the recent fire this week I was working in the area and saw it. 

So you're a pyromaniac. "Thank you," for that as well.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

However in fairness to Miami- They are coming off a short week when their D played 90 plays in the heat, they are travelling on the road, and they lost their starting QB in the 2nd quarter.

Too bad, so sad. To paraphrase fish fans:

ENJOY YOUR FLIGHT HOME 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Friday morning reflections....

1. The heat on Sunday cost the Bills a win. I think it also cost Miami a win. Their pass rush struggled last night and after rushing for 90 plays on Sunday in that heat turning around and going again on a Thursday night on the road looked too big of an ask. The Dolphins fans can bleat about unfairness if they like... but they were quiet about it on Sunday.

2. Obviously hoping that Tua is okay. It looked pretty scary. There will be all sorts of questions about whether what happened to him on Sunday is in any way related but to me these are separate incidents. It is a shame for him because he has definitely taken a step forward in year 3. I said after his rookie year Miami should bring in an OC from the Shanahan tree because I thought Tua would be more than serviceable in that offense. They ended up with a Head Coach from that tree and it has helped their Quarterback. The one concern with him is that the injuries do seem to pile up. He isn't the biggest and he isn't the most robust. 

3. The concern for Miami without Tua would be that I don't think McDaniel has yet got the run game going which is something of a surprise. They run well enough to open up the play action and RPO game, but I am not sure Teddy Bridgewater is going to be capable of making as many of those big chunk plays as Tua has the first 3 weeks and their passing game isn't consistent enough to dink and dunk without the run game contributing. 

4. For all that, things are not rosy in Bengal land either. Their offense is increasingly boom or bust. For the most part last night it was big play to Tee Higgins or punt. They need to work in more Hayden Hurst and Tyler Boyd underneath at some point and Joe Mixon is finding no holes in the run game. Thing are still not clicking there for me, despite the offensive line at least getting to average last night for the first time this season. 

5. Other than the offensive line the other argument I saw for a regression from the Cincinnati this season was that their corners were going to revert to the mean. They got really good play out of Chi Awuzie and Eli Apple last year that was not consistent with their careers to that point. They look more like the guys I remember so far in 2022. 

6. One final Bills related point.... I said in the game day thread on Sunday we made a mistake staying away from Xavien Howard. He is a good corner, a top 10 guy, but he isn't a guy I am going to fear so much I stay away from him. Obviously because of our protection struggles it is hard to say for certain if that was the gameplan last week, but to me it looked like it was. Tee Higgins is a great receiver, no doubt, be he owned Howard who is nicked up as well. I thought the Bills should have tested him more. 

Agree with all of this, and I'll add that I think the game plan went out the window early because of a combination of a lot of things, including and especially the heat issues on the OL, Kumerow's acute injury, and Davis's lingering injury.  The more distant we get from this game, the more impressed I am with how resilient we were (especially on the defensive side of the ball). 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I wouldn’t call our loss on Sunday an “epic meltdown”.  Few missed opportunities, sure.

Unless you were referring to the Divisional Round game against Kansas City 8 or 9 months ago?

The loss of significant players during the game didn't approach meltdown status, in your book? We were literally shedding starters like sweat!

Just now, ROCBillsBeliever said:

The loss of significant players during the game didn't approach meltdown status, in your book? We were literally shedding starters like sweat!

to me, a meltdown is epically blundering away a game we should have won.  

There were some mistakes, to be sure (especially Josh missing the easy touchdown throw in the 4th), but to me we lost that game mostly due to attrition… and the Dolphins being good enough to take advantage when possible.

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Good to know where the Dolphins organization stands on the seriousness of concussions 

McDaniel is an absolute moron. 

Wow.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Good to know where the Dolphins organization stands on the seriousness of concussions 

McDaniel is an absolute moron. 

The whole organization is pathetic in regards to how they treated the Tua injury. They put out a false narrative in the Bills game so Tua could play. They continued to sell their BS back injury so Tua could play vs Cinci. Tua suffered back to back serious concussions in a matter of 4 or 5 days. It was so bad his hands locked up. If that wasn't a wake up call then nothing is. Now this idiot McDaniel is downplaying the whole situation. Heads should roll and people should be fined and fired. Tua should go see an independent doctor. Playing football might not be in his best interest. Think Luke Kuechly. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 3

Thursday night football usually features games that aren't very good...

Short preparation for it and players still hurting from a game a few days earlier usually leads to lackluster game experiences...

Yesterday was no exception...boring game

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Nelius said:

Where does insanely quick release work into this new arm metric that's being created?

By being a one-read rhythm passer. If that read isn't there, the play goes off-script, but he mainly stays locked in on where the ball was supposed to go, like what happened on the stretchering.

3 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Bills were coming off a short week and kicked the Dolphins up and down the field. Delusional fins fans applaud their team for not needing as many offensive plays to win. Yeah, that might work out once in a while, but it doesn't make you a juggernaut.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

2. Obviously hoping that Tua is okay. It looked pretty scary. There will be all sorts of questions about whether what happened to him on Sunday is in any way related but to me these are separate incidents. 

Surprised to read this. 

It’s pretty well known that it’s far easier to get concussed again with bad consequences while recovering from a concussion, which from all visible evidence (head slamming to the turf, confusion, wobbly legs) it appeared Tua had against the Bills.

1 minute ago, Ray Stonada said:

Surprised to read this. 

It’s pretty well known that it’s far easier to get concussed again with bad consequences while recovering from a concussion, which from all visible evidence (head slamming to the turf, confusion, wobbly legs) it appeared Tua had against the Bills.

At the moment there is nothing to say he had a concussion against the Bills. The independent neurologist cleared him to go back in according to the information the NFL has put out there. If it proves that the independent neurologist had not cleared Tua on Sunday before he went back on the field then absolutely the book should be thrown at Miami. But at the moment nobody is suggesting, as far as I am aware, that they have any evidence that is what happened. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

At the moment there is nothing to say he had a concussion against the Bills. The independent neurologist cleared him to go back in according to the information the NFL has put out there. If it proves that the independent neurologist had not cleared Tua on Sunday before he went back on the field then absolutely the book should be thrown at Miami. But at the moment nobody is suggesting, as far as I am aware, that they have any evidence that is what happened. 

The tape of his head slamming against the turf after Milano pushed him, and his groggy reaction and subsequent collapse, is evidence of a concussion, no matter what he said or even thought at the time. 

It is very possible that he passed the protocol but still had a concussion. 

If this is a nothingburger, why was the NFLPA investigating it even before the horrific concussion with full fencing response yesterday?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.