curse of the butt punt--it likely saved Miami

tbonehawaii

Ugh. Re-watching the game on NFL network now. After the safety and free kick we had the ball on our 23.  If he got off the quick punt we would like have had the ball with 1:33 around their forty (or better). with four downs I think it is more likely than not we would have scored a TD.  )= lets hope all the bad luck landed on this game 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 5

That is a big assumption given the way the rest of the second half went IMO.  Lots of little things coudl have flipped the outcome.  They were moving it easily between the 20's...the way it played out gave them a great chance, they just needed to get in FG range but Quessenberry held and messed it up.  Dont blame him a lot given the fact he was spent though.   If the ball landed in the endzone and Bills recover they take the lead right there....

Edited by Matt_In_NH

6 minutes ago, tbonehawaii said:

Ugh. Re-watching the game on NFL network now. After the safety and free kick we had the ball on our 23.  If he got off the quick punt we would like have had the ball with 1:33 around their forty (or better). with four downs I think it is more likely than not we would have scored a TD.  )= lets hope all the bad luck landed on this game 

I was think the same thing.

8 minutes ago, tbonehawaii said:

Why was it more likely than not the Bills would score a TD? Did you watch any of the game prior to that punt?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I caught a little heat in one of the other threads, but my opinion was it was more favorable the way things happened. They were basically in field goal range to win the game, they were just a little sloppy with the clock. 

The punt surely gives them a short field if they execute it. But now you gotta throw the touchdown and Allen threw some questionable passes in the 4th quarter. It’s just as likely he would have to force throws into the end zone and the odds are probably higher for a turnover than scoring the actual touchdown. 

19 minutes ago, tbonehawaii said:

Another what if.  

It is more likely we would have had a better field position, so maybe we get into field goal range.  But maybe we run different plays and have worse results?  The events coming cannot be predicted.   

What if Josh hits McKenzie for a TD?   Maybe our defense gives up a TD? 

Who knows?  It's over.  

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, tbonehawaii said:

We had a minute and a half to get into field goal range.  Our offense was completely gassed and we blew it.  No need to over analyze.  

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 4

37 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Another what if.  

It is more likely we would have had a better field position, so maybe we get into field goal range.  But maybe we run different plays and have worse results?  The events coming cannot be predicted.   

What if Josh hits McKenzie for a TD?   Maybe our defense gives up a TD? 

Who knows?  It's over.  

Totally agree.  Close losses always cause "What If Mania."  Very few games are decided by one play; this one included.

1 hour ago, tbonehawaii said:

Here is a better "what if" - given that the ball was going off the backside of someone bending over, it could have easily gone forward.  Instead of the safety (it only went out the back by about 5 yards), it could have gone slightly forward and we could have has a TD...or maybe had it at the 10 or 20.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

We had a minute and a half to get into field goal range.  Our offense was completely gassed and we blew it.  No need to over analyze.  

Agreed... not to mention the fact that we had the ball in the red zone multiple times in the 2nd half and couldn't score a single touchdown. The ball control plan was amazing—until it backfired in the 2nd half. I am convinced that Josh short-armed that ball to McKenzie because he had absolutely nothing left in the tank. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Here is a better "what if" - given that the ball was going off the backside of someone bending over, it could have easily gone forward.  Instead of the safety (it only went out the back by about 5 yards), it could have gone slightly forward and we could have has a TD...or maybe had it at the 10 or 20.  

Exactly….we needed it to come down in the end zone and not two yards out the back of the end zone

1 hour ago, phypon said:

No, just no.  They couldn't get into FG range and you think they would have scored a TD?  Just no.

Had to go similar distances… not really that outlandish.  

To get into the FG range, Allen didn’t have the option of throwing anywhere on the field.  When he had to, we all saw the outcome.. time ran out.  

Every play was a broken play with that decimated OL.   I’m much, MUCH more confident in Allen getting one chunk play from the Miami 40/45 down to the 25 and then having the ability to throw anywhere in the end zone than I am him having to work the sidelines after a throw in-bounds when he had zero time to let a route develop and WR’s running routes half speed.  

Edited by SCBills

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Best case scenario would have been if the ball had lodged in the blocker's backside and he fell over just outside of the endzone.  Then we would have gotten great field position and a lengthy rest while they stopped play to extract the ball.

So that’s why they call ya the Brown Bear. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

I think the free punt by Morstead that ended up being a booming one downfield that pinned Buffalo pretty deep was a huge play that didn’t get talked about enough. 

It was an absolute bomb exactly when they needed it. If he uncorks a routine 50 yarder or so, and the Bills don’t get a holding penalty, you’re talking about 25 more yards there at least for a FG. One of the strangest games I can remember where the Bills dominated everywhere but the scoreboard. Felt worse than the Patriots wind game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, phypon said:

No, just no.  They couldn't get into FG range and you think they would have scored a TD?  Just no.

it’s not much of a stretch.  The moved the ball about the same distance down the field that they did on the final drive would have put them inside the15 with end zone shots.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.