Which offense will be impacted more by wet conditions? [snip]

Royale with Cheese

According to Patrick Hammer, WGRZ meteorologist who is on the Extra Point show on Friday's with the weather forecast for the games, there will be constant rain during the game of varying intensity...said it may lessen to a light drizzle at points but will change throughout the game from lighter to heavier and back again.

On Wednesday the local news down here (Balt area) said that Saturday would be worse, with heavy downpours through Saturday night and Sunday would be light and intermittent.  Now it's changed and Saturday doesn't look terrible but Sunday looks to be very rainy.  Bring the rain gear for this one.

On 9/29/2022 at 9:04 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

We obviously throw the ball a lot and the Ravens are currently 26th in passing attempts.  Surprisingly they are 19th in rushing attempts.  Seems like they're a big play offense and not manufacturing long drives down the field.  

I would guess we would have a similar strategy as the Rams game with getting the ball out quick...not throwing as much down the field.

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't doubt that McDermott is on the practice field with a garden hose trying to simulate the rainy conditions on Sunday.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, mabden said:

I wouldn't doubt that McDermott is on the practice field with a garden hose trying to simulate the rainy conditions on Sunday.

I wouldn't doubt that Harbaugh is on the M&T Bank Stadium field right now with a garden hose trying to get it extra sloppy for Sunday.  The playing conditions would highly favor their offense

11 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I wouldn't doubt that Harbaugh is on the M&T Bank Stadium field right now with a garden hose trying to get it extra sloppy for Sunday.  The playing conditions would highly favor their offense

Well whatever the case, encouraging thing is McD's defense has held up fairly decent against Ravens/Lamar past few games they played. Hopefully that doesn't change

2 hours ago, Bills2022 said:

Only wind really matters in the NFL.  Rain and 55 degrees with 10mph winds is a non-issue.

I'm thinking rain would have a negative effect on grass (M&T Bank Stadium-Tifway 419 Bermuda Grass). artificial turf can sometimes also have some issues with the slipping and sliding but they will be playing on a natural grass field. you also have to consider rain causing a wet football that also could be a factor.

no, I disagree that rain is a non-issue. 

On 9/29/2022 at 9:47 AM, eball said:

Excuse me?  If you are blaming either the bad snap at the end of the 1st half or the ball that slipped out of his hand on 4th down as being indicative of a "fumbling problem" then I'm not sure you know what you're watching.

I think that's a fair criticism of Allen. It's hard to be overly critical of him but he does fumble the ball on occasion when trying to make a play.

5 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

I think that's a fair criticism of Allen. It's hard to be overly critical of him but he does fumble the ball on occasion when trying to make a play.

I might go a bit farther than that. I like to joke with my nephew (both of us recognize just how amazingly talented Josh is BTW) can be counted on for two major head scratching plays per game.

Look, he is human, I get that, and his positives far and away outweigh any negatives. And he had been doing better at a managing his “hero ball” instinct that got him into a lot of trouble in his first couple years. I wouldn’t trade him for any other QB in the NFL.

It’s just that those head scratchers can be very frustrating to watch, particularly when they happen in close games that might go either way.

• Agree 1

One might think this game is a battle of the QBs.  Others might think this game will come down to who has the better defense.  I have thought about it both ways myself.  I have changed my mind.  In the Miami game it came down to who had the better waterboy.  This game will come down to who has the better equipment manager and puts out the best cleats.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 9/29/2022 at 11:20 AM, Logic said:

I would think the Bills will be more negatively impacted by heavy rains.

I know the Ravens haven't been running the ball as well this year as in years past, but if a game is being held in a monsoon, and passing is going to be more difficult than usual....I'm taking Greg Roman as my OC all day, every day.

For all of the things he lacks in the passing game, Roman is an elite run game coordinator. On a day where running the ball may be imperative, I like his chances of scheming up success more than I like Dorsey's chances of doing the same.

Agree. The running team benefits from the rain. 

we are really going to need to commit to the run, and grind out some yards on the ground. They are going to need to stick with it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.