How much blame does Allen deserve for the Bills poor run game?(By not checking out of obvious poor run plays)

Big Turk

54 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Allen is the run game.

To be fair, sometimes it looks like Singletary could be on the verge but then they'll bring in Moss or Cook and kill whatever momentum he had. I've also seen him take a handoff and either run into Allen or just look like he's frozen for a sec. I noticed that a couple times against the Porpoise.

This as well. I hate the platoon system they run at times. If Singletary is getting 5 ypc, and isn't asking out of the game for a breather, then wtf are we playing other guys for? This isn't the defensive side of the football. This is offense, where your most effective players should be on the field as much as possible. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

This as well. I hate the platoon system they run at times. If Singletary is getting 5 ypc, and isn't asking out of the game for a breather, then wtf are we playing other guys for? This isn't the defensive side of the football. This is offense, where your most effective players should be on the field as much as possible. 

I've been beating this drum for years.  The guy has been averaging close to 5 YPC since he got here.

His top three workloads for each season (year, most carries in a game, second most, third most)

• 2019: 20, 20, 21 (no more 20+ carry games for the season; also inactive for four games)
  • 2020: 18, 18, 14 (played 16 games)
  • 2021: 23, 22, 19 (played 17 games)

This is insane to me. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I've been beating this drum for years.  The guy has been averaging close to 5 YPC since he got here.

His top three workloads for each season (year, most carries in a game, second most, third most)

• 2019: 20, 20, 21 (no more 20+ carry games for the season; also inactive for four games)

This is insane to me. 

This surprises me, it never seems like he gets nearly that many carries.

• Agree 1

The old school things was that it takes a good full half before things start to get sorted for RBs
But we are a passing team.

So unfortunately for folks like me ? It will be situational matchups up all day from play to play. Down and distance , defensive schemes and alignments etc.

But I also loved the true MLB who crushed the run as an a/b gap killer and helmets came off

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It's actually not, you may just not understand why tho, so it is kinda pointless having actual "real" football conversations with so many people unable to even understand what I am talking about nor understand why it's important.  I feel like a physicist trying to explain advanced concepts to 3rd graders.

I understand exactly what you're saying.  My point is that it's to early in the season and the sample size way to small to be asking the question.  This is particularly true given the weird circumstances of the Miami game. 

Last season Allen seemed to have great success in audibiling into and out of runs.  Ditto for the first two games this season.  So you're basing your question on the Miami game.  A game in which the O-line was in complete chaos. 

• Like (+1) 2

One thing is clear running shotgun RPO within the opponent’s 5 yard line or short yardage isn’t working. The D just focuses on Josh. At times I wish the Bills would play big boy football in these situations. Josh under center with a FB leading the way to block for the RB. D has to account for a QB sneak which should make the DL more vulnerable. We shouldn’t need Josh to have to play perfect every week and short yardage shouldn’t be that difficult. That shotgun RPO at the 1 yard line cost us the game.

TheDolphins crash the line of scrimmage and blitz a ton.  You beat that by good blocking and quick hitting plays in run and pass game.  Our OL wasn’t up to task to blow them out of water due to injuries but really they still played very well on Offense as unit.  It was poor execution in scoring position, poor clock management, a missed gimme FG and a dropped pick 6 by Milano that cost them the game.  Dolphins had everything go their way for the most part and lucked out a W against a team decimated by heat exhaustion and injuries.  Sometimes the better team doesn’t win. 

7 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

One thing is clear running shotgun RPO within the opponent’s 5 yard line or short yardage isn’t working. The D just focuses on Josh. At times I wish the Bills would play big boy football in these situations. Josh under center with a FB leading the way to block for the RB. D has to account for a QB sneak which should make the DL more vulnerable. We shouldn’t need Josh to have to play perfect every week and short yardage shouldn’t be that difficult. That shotgun RPO at the 1 yard line cost us the game.

Yeah, Josh just needs to reach the ball over the line in that scenario. Seems like a high-percentage play. Don't overthink it.

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is insane to me. 

He averaged 5.1 as a rookie. He averages just under 4.5 ypa since. In 2020 he got fewer carries for the most part because he wasn't very good. He was much better last year and the uptick in workload reflected it. I think there is two things are play:

- one we don't run a lot because our run blocking is not very good and they end up as wasted plays too often. That isn't on Devin but it is a factor. 

- two they seem to be obsessed with splitting the early series of games. I agree that is ridiculous. The Devin first drive, Zack second drive stuff needs to stop. It is silly. Zack Moss should only be in the game if a) Devin needs a blow; b) we are passing because he is unquestionably the better pass protector and he is a solid receiving back too (although Devin has improved in that regard). 

11 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, Josh just needs to reach the ball over the line in that scenario. Seems like a high-percentage play. Don't overthink it.

Again with regards to Sunday Eric Wood's view was they didn't do that because they will not have practised it at all with a 3rd string center and the risk of fumbles is extremely high. His view was if Mitch Morse is healthy the Bills 100% sneak there but they did not want to risk the fumble. 

I was pissed about that play too at the time, hate shotgun in that situation but what Wood said does make sense to me tbh. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.