Jump to content

All-22 Grades for Bills/Dolphins (The Athletic)


HappyDays
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Christ, the entire oline as bottom tier 😳 

Time to flip flop Saffold and Bates

Got to believe not having Morse in there screwed the whole line up.  Wish we had a better backup option.  I kind of believe Bates should have been moved in to Center.  We know he can snap the ball at least

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Not surprised the OL graded so poorly. Van Rotten was tipping off the defense.  

Can you explain what you mean?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, HappyDays said:

 

 

 

 

 

Top 5 grades:

1) DaQuan Jones (A-)

2) Matt Milano (B+)

3) Von Miller (B+)

4) Greg Rousseau (B+)

5) Taron Johnson (B+)

 

Bottom 5 grades:

1) Rodger Saffold (D-)

2) Greg Van Roten (D+)

3) David Quessenberry (D+)

4) Spencer Brown (D+)

5) Ryan Bates (D+)

With those grades for the online going to start nicknaming them the Blutarskys 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

 

 

Singletary is a very very good pass blocker.

 

Not that he's perfect. He might have made a mistake there. Or not. You can't tell because whoever made that clip totally edited out the early part of the play where Singletary was making the decision. Based on that clip, no way to know whether he was to blame for that.

 

Could've been. Just that there simply isn't enough evidence there in that clip to even begin to tell on that play.

 

 

 

 

Ah, you can see it all on this clip. Thanks, GoBills404, for posting one that actually tells the story.

 

Yeah, that was a nice deceptive formation for Miami. They lined up all on the line and the LG and LT were facing a 4-on-2. As it's snapped, one of the defenders slips around the center to attack the other side of the line, leaving a 3-on-2. There's a guy coming unblocked between Dawkins and Saffold who Singletary has to account for and that guy comes forward two or three steps and pulls up. The instant he does that, Motor switches to trying to block the guy who has totally beaten Dawkins, but he's too late.

 

That one's on Dawkins, but when they rush so many guys, you have to get it out quick. Allen could have stepped up one step and avoided that guy. It's not like he'd have escaped everything if he'd done so, but he'd have gained just enough time to bring that arm forward.

 

Almost, but not quite.

 

It was absolutely on both Dawkins and Singletary both.

 

The excuse that Singletary got confused is not a good one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, gobills404 said:

In the full clip it looks more like Dawkins just got smoked

 

There is so much wrong with this play, i assume they spend a long time going over this.  Bills looked totally out of rhythm and overwhelmed. 

 

!) How much was due to no Morse?  Anyone know his status?

 

2)  Expect more and more blitzes till we can handle them better.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s just a great designed blitz. Also It’s on Josh Allen. Dolphins send 8, Bills only have 7 blockers. Allen is responsible to get the ball out and not do what happened.

This isn’t Allens fault at all. Allen takes 3 steps and goes to throw the ball. He had no idea the LT literally let the DE blow by him and hit Josh’s arm as he’s throwing it. That play is entirely Dawkins fault. If you can’t give your qb time to throw on a 3 step drop you probably belong in the cfl. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

This isn’t Allens fault at all. Allen takes 3 steps and goes to throw the ball. He had no idea the LT literally let the DE blow by him and hit Josh’s arm as he’s throwing it. That play is entirely Dawkins fault. If you can’t give your qb time to throw on a 3 step drop you probably belong in the cfl. 

99% Allen 1 % blocking. Watch his feet. 8v7.  Inside out. It’s football 101.

 

Look at where he starts his drop vs where he finished his drop.

 

 

3F5FB790-8A37-4C21-9439-1F7B9D5CFD30.jpeg

EE24F12A-B8F6-4716-A16D-533ED65FB16C.jpeg

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Got to believe not having Morse in there screwed the whole line up.  Wish we had a better backup option.  I kind of believe Bates should have been moved in to Center.  We know he can snap the ball at least

Can you explain what you mean?

VanRoten at center lifts his head up to take a peak just before he puts his head down to snap the ball between his legs...a comically easy tell for the D.  Jerry Ostroski pointed it out.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

99% Allen 1 % blocking. Watch his feet. 8v7.  Inside out. It’s football 101.

 

Look at where he starts his drop vs where he finished his drop.

 

 

3F5FB790-8A37-4C21-9439-1F7B9D5CFD30.jpeg

EE24F12A-B8F6-4716-A16D-533ED65FB16C.jpeg

99% on Allen?  Even if he was back to where he was at the snap he would have gotten nailed, look at your picture 2, both Dawkins and Singletary badly badly beaten.  Maybe it buys him a millisecond if he is back may have been able to throw it away and then he is going to get whacked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

 

I was thinking during the game that I can't remember a worse center performance than what Van Roten was pulling off, and questioning why is Bates not in at center and literally anybody else at guard, even Van Rotten where at least he isn't mishandling the ball every other snap.

They showed a close up of VanRoten's face when he came in and he looked petrified....at least that was my first impression.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

99% on Allen?  Even if he was back to where he was at the snap he would have gotten nailed, look at your picture 2, both Dawkins and Singletary badly badly beaten.  Maybe it buys him a millisecond if he is back may have been able to throw it away and then he is going to get whacked.

Allen doesn’t take a hit, he gets the ball knocked out. If he’s 2 yards right Holland might get washed right by him. 
 

We’ll never know. What I do know is you can’t blame blocking when the blockers are outnumbered and the outside rush makes the play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen doesn’t take a hit, he gets the ball knocked out. If he’s 2 yards right Holland might get washed right by him. 
 

We’ll never know. What I do know is you can’t blame blocking when the blockers are outnumbered and the outside rush makes the play.

Yea, TBH I was wondering why Allen didn’t step up a bit more in the pocket on that play…. He basically just stood where he took the snap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen doesn’t take a hit, he gets the ball knocked out. If he’s 2 yards right Holland might get washed right by him. 
 

We’ll never know. What I do know is you can’t blame blocking when the blockers are outnumbered and the outside rush makes the play.

Correct we will never know but to say it is 99% on Allen to me is absurd unless he should or could have audibled out of it. 

 

The entire play is totally out of sync beginning with the snap.

 

And it doesn't matter if the blockers were outnumbered,  when you have 2 blockers going for the same man and are clearly beaten it is on those two guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen doesn’t take a hit, he gets the ball knocked out. If he’s 2 yards right Holland might get washed right by him. 
 

We’ll never know. What I do know is you can’t blame blocking when the blockers are outnumbered and the outside rush makes the play.

They're not really out numbered though. To me that looks like it's designed to look like an overload but with a spy so they're actually blocking 7 on 7. Allen drifts because Knox was a little late coming over in motion to pick up the DB. If Dawkins and Singletary don't whiff he's going to hit Davis on the post for 30 yards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They're not really out numbered though. To me that looks like it's designed to look like an overload but with a spy so they're actually blocking 7 on 7. Allen drifts because Knox was a little late coming over in motion to pick up the DB. If Dawkins and Singletary don't whiff he's going to hit Davis on the post for 30 yards.

It’s very well designed and executed. A couple dolphins definitely slow play it but it’s all that’s needed to get Holland free. 
 

The end zone view might give people a better view. I don’t think Holland touches him if he drops straight back.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s very well designed and executed. A couple dolphins definitely slow play it but it’s all that’s needed to get Holland free. 
 

The end zone view might give people a better view. I don’t think Holland touches him if he drops straight back.

 

 

Look at each offensive lineman's first step. Allen shifted coverage toward that side seeing the overload front. It's not unusual that he would drift left to gain an extra bit of time to get the throw off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Look at each offensive lineman's first step. Allen shifted coverage toward that side seeing the overload front. It's not unusual that he would drift left to gain an extra bit of time to get the throw off.

I mentioned that earlier. The OL blocks left. A few Dolphins slow play it to cause slight confusion of who’s really coming. The pressure was from both front and back. He likely takes a hit if he drops straight back. 
 

Dawkins had zero shot to block a speedy DB with that angle to the QB. Singletary was the only hope there and he’s a little late looking inside 1st. RBs are taught to always block inside out.

 

We don’t know the design. We don’t know if Allen drifted left out of design.  But from my viewpoint Allen got fooled.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s very well designed and executed. A couple dolphins definitely slow play it but it’s all that’s needed to get Holland free. 
 

The end zone view might give people a better view. I don’t think Holland touches him if he drops straight back.

 

 

Interesting, he does go hard to the left and the o line i think was shifted to the left.  Note  there are two edge blockers #29 and #8 so i would understand that move to the left.  Of all the mistakes on this play major kudos to Knox for taking care of #29.  

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Interesting, he does go hard to the left and the o line i think was shifted to the left.  Not there are two edge blockers #29 and #8 so i would understand that move to the left.  Of all the mistakes on this play major kudos to Knox for taking care of #29.  

They were literally a split second from making this game 14-0. OL definitely is sliding left. Probably why Allen felt comfortable sliding left.

 

Cover 0 blitz. I wish they ran a different play vs it. Did they not think they’d see cover 0 there? I would love to ask Josh Allen that question. But on to Baltimore.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...