All-22 Grades for Bills/Dolphins (The Athletic)

HappyDays

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think it’s more that he checked-out.   

I think he was always relatively meh at it. He was a solid NFL starter. That's fine. The Bills overpaid him. That happens. But there were people here who responded to any criticism with "you don't understand he isn't here to get sacks". We knew that. But he wasn't doing what he was here to do at a high enough level. Jones is proving you don't need to get sacks or put up gaudy numbers at 1T in this defense for people to recognise you and give you credit. 

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

A big part of this was the Offensive Coordinator. 

The Bills had just gone down the field to make it 7-0, and forced Miami to punt. 

Then Dorsey decided to suck the life out of the team with a Moss run, followed by another Moss run. 

No surprise, those carries were wasted downs, leaving the Bills in 3rd-9 and Josh's strip-fumble. 

I have no idea what the Bills thought there were going to accomplish with two Zach Moss runs. 

It was bonkers. Ran it twice with the inferior runner and then tried to pass protect with the inferior blocker. Crazy. 

On 9/28/2022 at 7:02 PM, Einstein said:

There is a reason why they are backups.

Need the RB’s to block better as well.

Singletary isn't late recognizing the blitz here. He's late recognizing that Dawkins got beat 1v1 at the speed of light. 

Singletary is supposed to pick up the delayed blitz in this protection, Dawkins is supposed to handle the 1v1 on the outside.  

If you watch the play as it develops, the Dolphins do bring a delayed blitz with #15 up the middle. And Singletary would have been in position to pick him up if not for trying to cover for Dawkins.

Josh read the defense correctly and had us in in the correct protection. Dawkins single handedly blew it.  

See the full clip below. 

On 9/28/2022 at 7:14 PM, gobills404 said:

In the full clip it looks more like Dawkins just got smoked

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BFLO said:

Singletary isn't late recognizing the blitz here. He's late recognizing that Dawkins got beat 1v1 at the speed of light. 

Singletary is supposed to pick up the delayed blitz in this protection, Dawkins is supposed to handle the 1v1 on the outside.  

If you watch the play as it develops, the Dolphins do bring a delayed blitz with #15 up the middle. And Singletary would have been in position to pick him up if not for trying to cover for Dawkins.

Josh read the defense correctly and had us in in the correct protection. Dawkins single handedly blew it.  

See the full clip below. 

No offense, but that’s ridiculous. The RB is there to pick up any pass rusher that is making his way toward the QB. Not just a delayed blitzer. The first rule of rb pass blocking is protect the QB at all costs.

Here is an example of Marshawn Lynch picking up a DE (on no delay), when his LT inexplicably doubles a DT.

You can see Marshawn originally take one step toward the middle of the pocket (expecting to guard a rusher from coming up the middle), but then when he sees the free rusher on the outside he stops and picks him up. Good move.

There is no doubt that Dawkins whiffed, but that doesn’t excuse Singletary. He is there to help with whiffs.

388724CC-8081-4FDE-8248-76E378454B1B.gif

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

No offense, but that’s ridiculous. The RB is there to pick up any pass rusher that is making his way toward the QB. Not just a delayed blitzer. The first rule of rb pass blocking is protect the QB at all costs.

Here is an example of Marshawn Lynch picking up a DE (on no delay), when his LT inexplicably doubles a DT.

You can see Marshawn originally take one step toward the middle of the pocket (expecting to guard a rusher from coming up the middle), but then when he sees the free rusher on the outside he stops and picks him up. Good move.

There is no doubt that Dawkins whiffed, but that doesn’t excuse Singletary. He is there to help with whiffs.

I dunno that looks like a called protection on a quick hitter to me. They are doubling the DT, letting the running back take the backside DE knowing Carr is getting rid of the ball early to the other side of the field. 

The big issue for me on Ingram's play was that I think the Bills were confused what protection it was and who was blocking what. But Dawkins whiffed and Motor stepped up a little early in case there was a delayed blitzer so he wasn't there to help out. Just an ugly play all around. 

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I dunno that looks like a called protection on a quick hitter to me. They are doubling the DT, letting the running back take the backside DE knowing Carr is getting rid of the ball early to the other side of the field. 

I disagree. The play shows a different shows. Lynch first takes a step toward the inside (watch closely). He clearly thought his responsibility would be middle protection and only after the edge rusher was untouched did he go outside.

Also the other side had 1 on 1 and the center looked confused on who to block. It was a weird play all around but Marshawn saved it.

I agree the confusion was bad in the Bills game.

Edited by Einstein
  • Disagree 1

On 9/30/2022 at 10:52 AM, Einstein said:

That’s 6 blockers vs 4 rushers in your example. 

Notice anything different about the Allen fumble play?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.