All-22 Grades for Bills/Dolphins (The Athletic)

HappyDays

I'll never understand the Saffold signing. Some fans thought this was a great move because of his name but there's a reason why the Titans were quick to dump him and that's because he's about done in this league.

Almost wondering if not letting Bates go to the Vikings was a mistake too.

Granted it's early, but aside from Dawkins and Morse there are still way too many question marks right now and even Spencer Brown looks to be headed down that dreaded Bills sophmore slump.

You can argue we've faced 3 great defensive lines so far to start the year but you still need to perform and time is going to run out soon if this oline can't get it together.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'll never understand the Saffold signing. Some fans thought this was a great move because of his name but there's a reason why the Titans were quick to dump him and that's because he's about done in this league.

Granted it's early, but aside from Dawkins and Morse there are still way too many question marks right now and even Spencer Brown looks to be headed down that dreaded Bills sophmore slump.

You can argue we've faced 3 great defensive lines so far to start the year but you still need to perform and time is going to run out soon if this oline can't get it together.

Think you missed part Brown solid first two games but had a bad one.  They'll get better imo. But Morse to me leader or qb of the o-line. He does lots for o-line. They missed him badly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Dawkins and Singletary both did horrible on this play. Forgive Dawkins sometimes cam be bad but usly does more good.

Big O was saying though that the center was totally tipping the snap count. DL was teeing off. They knew it was a pass play and literally timed the jump. Dawkins and Singletary got smoked, because their assignments were in the backfield before the ball even made it into Allen’s hands. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, QCity said:

The O-Line was brutal. They desperately need Morse back. Spencer Brown has not elevated his play so far this year, in fact he may be regressing.

Best line in the article: "The Bills had one breakout play when Moss busted off a 43-yard run where he was untouched until driven out of bounds. It’s a great run, but it’s like hosting a party and keeping everyone confined to one spotless room when the rest of the house is in complete shambles."

The offensive line was probably the reason the Bills lost the game on Sunday.  I know there were 3 backups in but they looked like trash.  I really think that this could be their undoing this season…but it seems like when all 5 starters are healthy and in the lineup, they do ok.  I’m hoping they can get their act together next week 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, gobills404 said:

In the full clip it looks more like Dawkins just got smoked

Watch how long it takes Motor to move his feet after the ball is snapped - pause it he's still in his stance - he didn't know who to block

I think that's Morse not being there - no way Dawkins isn't supposed to protect inside as guys are flooding the A and B gap his side.  

Our God Awful/non existent screen game is really infuriating.  

Oh.....and Allen not realizing 8 guys were coming and should have had a hot read called hurt to.

Edited by Big Blitz

The offensive line looked bad to me from the very start of the game, which makes me think a good part of it wasn’t necessarily the heat. By the end of the first quarter, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing from either Dawkins or Brown. In fact, I began wondering if they were going to pull Brown just for his performance, and I thought that’s what they did when I first saw Q in there.

I don’t think they are as bad as it seems, and I suspect a good chunk of it is getting accustomed to the new coaching. My father always told me the OL was always behind other position groups, and you had to give them until game 4 or 5 to see them really start jelling. This year is making me believe him.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Aside from Dawkins & Morse, our OL is garbage. And this is basically the exact argument we all discussed adnasium last year and the year before.  Kromer hasn't exactly come in and done much with these guys. We usually use our top 4-5 picks each year on something other than OL.  Ford was bad and Doyle a perennial 3rd string guy. This organization has got to upgrade OL if for no other reason than to keep qb1 upright for the next decade. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Oh.....and Allen not realizing 8 guys were coming and should have had a hot read called hurt to.

He knew... they had all the blocks set up perfectly and he was about to hit Davis downfield on a post route for a big gain. Singletary was slow off the snap and whiffed. Allen needed another quarter of a second to get the pass off.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I really think Spencer Brown's drop-off in play is due to the fact that his back isn't fully recovered from surgery. His height makes bending even more important to maintain leverage and he looks to be in pain frequently. I think they may try to have Brown and Quessenberry split reps at RT until he's fully healthy.

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

There is a reason why they are backups.

Need the RB’s to block better as well.

Singletary is a very very good pass blocker.

Not that he's perfect. He might have made a mistake there. Or not. You can't tell because whoever made that clip totally edited out the early part of the play where Singletary was making the decision. Based on that clip, no way to know whether he was to blame for that.

Could've been. Just that there simply isn't enough evidence there in that clip to even begin to tell on that play.

6 hours ago, gobills404 said:

In the full clip it looks more like Dawkins just got smoked

Ah, you can see it all on this clip. Thanks, GoBills404, for posting one that actually tells the story.

Yeah, that was a nice deceptive formation for Miami. They lined up all on the line and the LG and LT were facing a 4-on-2. As it's snapped, one of the defenders slips around the center to attack the other side of the line, leaving a 3-on-2. There's a guy coming unblocked between Dawkins and Saffold who Singletary has to account for and that guy comes forward two or three steps and pulls up. The instant he does that, Motor switches to trying to block the guy who has totally beaten Dawkins, but he's too late.

That one's on Dawkins, but when they rush so many guys, you have to get it out quick. Allen could have stepped up one step and avoided that guy. It's not like he'd have escaped everything if he'd done so, but he'd have gained just enough time to bring that arm forward.

Almost, but not quite.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I totally agree that they have to get things together on the OL. But I have a lot of sympathy for them with how very little time they had in training camp playing together as a unit. With injuries and problems, there was very little time to gel

They will need more time to get it together. If they manage to do that. It's not a given.

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The offensive line was probably the reason the Bills lost the game on Sunday.  I know there were 3 backups in but they looked like trash.  I really think that this could be their undoing this season…but it seems like when all 5 starters are healthy and in the lineup, they do ok.  I’m hoping they can get their act together next week 

Not only were there three backups, but two of them were playing out of position.

Edited by Thurman#1

It is sad that some of these are not giving credit for the Miami defense for playing lights out.  They dominated that it did not matter whether our OL played well or not.  

The Bills are not a bad team..they had a bad day at the office...and in spite of that they were a play away from winning the game.   It happened last year and it will happen this year.  It is the NFL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.