Funny/Weird "part time jobs" as a young adult or while in school

BringBackFergy

4 hours ago, Guffalo said:

Summers in high school in college I worked at the local graveyard, mostly cutting lawns and gardening, but early season we would also have to dig foundations for gravestones, 2 foot by 3-5 foot per footing, 3 feet deep. I also had to dig graves for infants and kids since it was too small for the backhoe. 

16 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Not my weird job, but my father's current retirement job, in addition to mowing the cemetery lawn for the local church, is basically preparing gravesites and doing burials at said cemetery.  He has some summer help (18 year old kids) and he still works circles around them at 75.

I guess it has to get done but we always tease him that it's a little bit of a weird job.

I did the same for a couple summers 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve had a ton of random jobs, along with steady work while a late teen. By far my weirdest or most unusual was Drive-in Movie parking lot attendant. 

I was the guy who handed out the ropes and asks the SUVS to tie down their hatch so the people behind them can see. 

I liked it, because it was really only a few hours of work before the movie, and then mostly monitoring the parking areas and such throughout the night. Plus I got to see a lot of cool movies (in part) and would get comped some snacks on occasion. 

• Like (+1) 2

High school (14-15 years old) I worked for an engineering company that would design how the stop lights and timing would be done at intersections.  At first, I was just office cleaning, but during the summer they would have me help out doing other things like getting orders together and putting together parts.  I was even given a few old stoplights that had been replaced with newer ones.  Wish I still had them.  

A couple summers during college, I worked for a seed company, Northrup King, where I would go around to the retail locations (grocery, department, hardware) that sold the product, make a final inventory of the remaining seed packets, then box them and the display up to be sent back to the company.  I was given a rental cargo van, weekly per diem, etc.  This was before cell phones were prevalent, so each day you would find a pay phone- and call-in what stores you did, their final counts, and if you had a shipment going back, what trucking company you used. We got to keep what little per diem we did not use, so I'd keep a cooler in my van and just buy food for my meals, instead of going to restaurants.  Sleeping in rest areas along the highway, or sometimes sneak into campgrounds late at night, grab a quick shower in the morning, then leave. 

• Like (+1) 2

Another summer in college, I worked in a papermill.  Started out in Maintenace as a painter, but they needed help on one of the machines called a rewinder.  Working there was shift work with more pay, so I took it. A rewinder is just what it sounds like.  We'd take the large rolls of paper, put them on the machine and look for defects to be cut out, then splice the roll back together.  I was a helper, not the operator, so my job was going to pick the rolls from the warehouse to be done, once they went through the machine, take the roll over to the wrapping station, then put it on a pallet and back to the warehouse.  Plus, the rewinder I was on, was the only one in an air-conditioned part of the building (other than offices) because we were doing specialty paper.  It's also the job where I got certified for forklift, scissors lift, and boom lift.  I managed to get the forklift up on two wheels going around a corner my first day.  While the operator was checking a roll, he told me to go get one of the junk rolls and just practice driving around with it.  Well, as I kept practicing, I started going faster and faster.  Eventually I was going around a corner, and once the forklift straightened back out, I felt the wheels on one side hit the concrete.  Luckily it was 3rd shift (overnights) so there wasn't anyone around that saw it.  

• Like (+1) 2

Hate the some here were treated badly at country clubs.  Only in later life was I ever a member.  Lots of our work force here are retired folks who are also members.  Give them sh!t and your requested tee time will always be full.  be decent humans and they'll do anything for you.

Edited by redtail hawk

18 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Another summer in college, I worked in a papermill.  Started out in Maintenace as a painter, but they needed help on one of the machines called a rewinder.  Working there was shift work with more pay, so I took it. A rewinder is just what it sounds like.  We'd take the large rolls of paper, put them on the machine and look for defects to be cut out, then splice the roll back together.  I was a helper, not the operator, so my job was going to pick the rolls from the warehouse to be done, once they went through the machine, take the roll over to the wrapping station, then put it on a pallet and back to the warehouse.  Plus, the rewinder I was on, was the only one in an air-conditioned part of the building (other than offices) because we were doing specialty paper.  It's also the job where I got certified for forklift, scissors lift, and boom lift.  I managed to get the forklift up on two wheels going around a corner my first day.  While the operator was checking a roll, he told me to go get one of the junk rolls and just practice driving around with it.  Well, as I kept practicing, I started going faster and faster.  Eventually I was going around a corner, and once the forklift straightened back out, I felt the wheels on one side hit the concrete.  Luckily it was 3rd shift (overnights) so there wasn't anyone around that saw it.  

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Thankfully I never did that, but I did have a pallet of toilets break when I was putting it away.  Working at a store similar to Home Depot called Builders Square, KMarts attempt to get into that sector of retail.  Going to put a pallet of toilets up on the rack (the lift I was using did look like the one in the video) as the forks got up past my eye level, I saw the pallet did not look very safe, so I started lowering it back down.  Once it got about 2-3 feet off the ground, the boards broke, dropping all these toilets on the concrete floor.  Had to open every box and inspect them to see which might have survived the short fall.  

Worked at the local golf club starting at 14. Started out fetching member's bags, cleaning out carts, flirting with the girls who worked at the restaurant, morning prep for big tournaments, etc. Eventually did pretty much everything with a new title "Assistant to the Pro" including re-gripping golf clubs, giving kids lessons, closing the shop for the day, tournament administration. I was a steal at $8 an hour plus tips.

Counted furniture pieces hourly in the college union. No, I'm not kidding.

Tended bar at a place where I was told by the owner "if the drink has more than two ingredients tell them to order something else." Real dive, that place.

Steam cleaned carpets. Think Stanley Steemer style but a local outfit. 

Not really funny or weird but I also worked part time at Macy's selling cookware and other kitchen stuff and basically just worked a register and flirted with middle aged women. Hide yo wife!

I was giving this some thought and realized that I have never had a part-time job.  But this is definitely my most unique summer job.  At 15, I got a job working in/on Lake George helping the owner operate his "Wonder Wheels," water activity.

He had seven of these water wheels (similar picture below; same thing, just different colors) that we would inflate every morning right next to the lake, smack dab in the middle of the village.

Then I would take one out onto the lake to try to get people's attention/rent one.  I think we rented them out for 20-30 minutes at a time.  I would have the customer sign a waiver, give some quick instructions and send them on their way.

We had to patch them up when they had leaks, as well.

I made $5/hour, under the table.  This was a one-summer gig.

image.png.f1114179f7ef9c6ca51ea4f9f5676fc0.png

• Like (+1) 1

Delivered roses for a guy who ran a shop out of his home garage only around Valentines Day. Was actually quite busy. 

Try to sell pay phones for a high school friend who started his own business.

The old Lancaster Nursery, where the weird part about this was the owner gave 3 minutes for lunch over an 8 hour shift. If you were late, he would scream his head off an alter my time cards to the temp agency docking me for the late arrival. I told the temp agency who then told the NYS Labor Board. He retired soon after. 

Edited by Draconator

Home from college for the summer I worked as a Pinkerton security guard. Had to wear the whole uniform including a badge and hat. But they didn’t have pants long enough so mine were 2 inches too short. My mom let out the cuffs but they still looked bad. Assignments included crowd control at outdoor concerts to sitting in my dad’s car guarding an abandoned building all night so it wasn’t vandalized.

Another summer I was a security guard at Magnavox covering 3 buildings from 10pm to 8am four times a week. I had to carry a clock with me, and at various stations throughout the buildings there were keys I’d turn in the clock to record that I was there to prove I was patrolling. 

42 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Another summer I was a security guard at Magnavox covering 3 buildings from 10pm to 8am four times a week. I had to carry a clock with me, and at various stations throughout the buildings there were keys I’d turn in the clock to record that I was there to prove I was patrolling. 

One of my former employers had this system; the contracted security firm's guards were tasked with this, as well as letting workers into the stockroom on 'off shift' periods.  Words of advice:  NEVER give this responsibility to an OCD pensioner. 😁

12 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I want to hear more about this, why they needed someone to count furniture every hour.  Were students stealing it? 

Yeah essentially that was the reason. I also counted people but that was to see which rooms were being used when 

Too many jobs to remember - but the first

High school book store - selling pencils etc.

After school - 12 Corners Plaza in Brighton - washing all the windows - end to end - and then again - a never ending job but a lot of perks!  85 cents/hour

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Not especially weird but, Worked as a Toll Collector at the Peace Bridge, 2 summers.  Toll was 25 cents.  Had to separate US from Canadian quarters, and roll them too.

That was back when the Hunt Bros. were "trying to corner" the silver market.  Some US quarters were still silver, but the Canadian coins were mostly all still silver.  Some of the "old" guys used to take the silver quarters out of the rolls and replace them with the composite coins.  I was young & poor, going to college and couldn't afford to do that but I often wondered if they made anything, in doing that?

There used to be quite a rush when people were trying to make it to Ft Erie race track, for the start of the races.

• Like (+1) 1

A friend of mine used to bring to dishes to work from his family's restaurant to share and it was wonderful.

One day he brought some in and I asked if they got a new cook and he said no it was the holy month and his uncle's cooking declines because he cannot test when cooking since he is fasting (what a terrible job - cooking while required to fast).

I told him that is okay for at end of month he will know he needs to add more garlic with this dish.

He said he had a great idea and could I go to his family's restaurant after work.

I said sure. I'd like to thank your uncle for the great food you bring to work.

He introduced me to his uncle and told his uncle he had an idea on helping him with his cooking.

He told him I am very familiar with what dishes normally taste like so he will taste them for you before you send to restaurant.

He said he'd try because he was tired of complaints for he was using same recipes but not adjusting it by taste each time.

He would give me a sample of a dish and I would tell him what I think based on what it tasted like before and I would give comments "More salt. More garlic. Cook a little longer." etc.

His customers were happy again and so for the rest of the holy month I did testing for him.

He would offer me a takeout dinner each night but from all of the sampling I never ate it to next day.

So I had a "job" as food taster for a few weeks.

Cleaned machining centers (sweeping up chips / wiping off machines) at local machine shop

Handyman assistant - installed aluminum siding, took down and installed new shingles, pointed brickwork

"Engineering assistant" - installed strain gages on machine, wrote CNC programs, made changes on drawings (actual drawings,not CAD), ran durability tests on equipment

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.