Boomer Esiason suggests the Bills should trade for Barkley

Greg S

15 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

C’mon man.  
josh Allen’s salary is ~$18 million. After 3 games probably $15 million. Convert that to $6 million bonus and $9 million salary. Done. 

Yes, it might not be wise because you’re making the cap in 2023-2028 that much worse. 

But it can be done. It’s not rocket science. 

Come on man.  I said there are 2 players (one being Josh) they can use to restructure.

That's it.

NOT any of the 53 on the roster.  That was the discussion.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Come on man.  I said there are 2 players (one being Josh) they can use to restructure.

That's it.

NOT any of the 53 on the roster.  That was the discussion.

Nope. You’ve moved the goalposts. The discussion was to find a way to free up $6 million. Someone in this thread (probably you) said that the poster who said it was easily done was “BS ing”. 
I simply pointed out a straightforward way. 

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL.  I shouldn't have let the conversation get to where it's at.  If you're giving me some sarcasm, I probably deserve it.

If it's not it should have its own thread.  I'm not the only one who enjoys that kind of stuff.

Just in case, I will say, there are only 6 players (not 53) with salaries above $2M who could MAYBE be restructured right now.

I use $2M because you can't restructure Base Salary to zero.  It has to be at least player minimum.

4 of them are on the last year of their contracts so any restructure goes to dead cap next year.

That leaves Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs (and Diggs has already restructured and had his money pushed out).

Open up the Spotrac site and click to sort on "Base Salary".  Edmunds will be on top.  He's not restructuring without a new contract.

Same goes with Poyer, Keenum and Oliver.  There's a lot more to this stuff, but that is the basics.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

EDIT:  Sorry, linked wrong site.  This is right.

5 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Nope. You’ve moved the goalposts. The discussion was to find a way to free up $6 million. Someone in this thread (probably you) said that the poster who said it was easily done was “BS ing”. 
I simply pointed out a straightforward way. 

Read my bolded.  I'm done with the conversation.

8 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

So is the O-line holding out?  They are going to open holes and get a push for Barkley, but just don't feel like it for any of the 3 we have?  It doesn't matter who's in the backfield if there's nowhere for them to go.

Some of y'all must be watching different games than me because outside of the Rams game, there have been no holes opened up and zero push by this O-line.  Unless Barkley can magically block for himself too, how will he even make the slightest bit of difference?

This is the exact reason they need a back like Barkley. A guy who can create on his own 

7 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

But you're the one claiming it can be done without knowing.  Unless Beane has personally told you that it can, you're BSing.  You don't know.

And FYI, it's not on me to prove a negative.  You are the one claiming something can be done, it's on you to prove it can be.  That's how logic works.

Bills RBs had 20 carries for 89 yards in that game.

The passing game won us that game and it was the passing game that opened up the running game after the game was out of control.  We did not run particularly well in that game and certainly didn't in the Miami game.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Read my bolded.  I'm done with the conversation.

Read the post you responded to. 
To understand the topic of a thread, you may want to read the comments

Believe it or not, the topic of a thread isn’t simply what you claim it is.

Just like no one can declassify Top Secret documents simply by thinking about it. 

15 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Can you imagine what Barkley could do with those same 9 catches Singletary had out of the backfield last Sunday 😳 

8.67 yards per catch isn't too shabby though from singletary in those 9 catches, barkley is averaging 7 yards this year so I'd imagine just about the same production.

15 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This is the exact reason they need a back like Barkley. A guy who can create on his own 

The guy ain't barry sanders and if he's getting met in the backfield, he's not going to be creating much of anything. Not even mentioning what he would cost.

7 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Before trading for a RB, I'd make sure the answer isn't on the roster in James Cook taking more snaps. 

Crazy how fast it seems some people have written this dude off already.

I've never understood the coaching mindset of some teams who always bring in a certain backs simply on 3rd or passing downs because of their pass catching ability.

You're telegraphing your plays.  Not saying we're doing that, but it feels like he's being used more as a pass catcher/route runner and teams will pick up on that.  Anyone who watched Cook in college knows he can run the ball.  I'm all for giving him more playing time. He's a dual threat.  The further we can get from his 1st carry fumble, the better off we'll all be.  Build his confidence.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1

First of all, we could get the Giants to eat his salary, second if you can get Saquon freakin Barkley for for a 3rd or even 2nd, you do it in a HEARTBEAT.

That's a no brainer. And yes he'd make the OLine look MUCH better. 

14 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Your money is it?

No but the Bills have a salary cap which needs to adhered to

2 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

The guy ain't barry sanders and if he's getting met in the backfield, he's not going to be creating much of anything. Not even mentioning what he would cost.

Look, I don’t agree with the economics of the whole situation and what it would cost. I’m just speaking on having him as a player. Nope, not Barry Sanders, but who really is?

19 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Look, I don’t agree with the economics of the whole situation and what it would cost. I’m just speaking on having him as a player. Nope, not Barry Sanders, but who really is?

It simply seems like a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of what it means to bring in RB when your line hasn't been able to get a push or open holes even if that RB is better than what you have currently.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.