Boomer Esiason suggests the Bills should trade for Barkley

Greg S

Just now, TwistofFate said:

Next man up.  No excuse.  They have been abused, week after week after week. 

No disrespect but I hate this cliche.  When you’re missing a top tier S, top tier CB and your first round pick in the secondary…to go along with your 2nd year first round pass rusher and your pro bowl MLB who is team leader in tackles…it’s not so easy to replace them.  

Next man up is strictly a motivational statement, it’s not rooted at all in reality or context of the real world situation.  You don’t take away 5 of your best players and say “next man up” and expect backups to play to all their levels.  

There may not be a more over used and more over exaggerated phrase in all of sports than “next man up”.  

• Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect but I hate this cliche.  When you’re missing a top tier S, top tier CB and your first round pick in the secondary…to go along with your 2nd year first round pass rusher and your pro bowl MLB who is team leader in tackles…it’s not so easy to replace them.  

Next man up is strictly a motivational statement, it’s not rooted at all in reality or context of the real world situation.  You don’t take away 5 of your best players and say “next man up” and expect backups to play to all their levels.  

There may not be a more over used and more over exaggerated phrase in all of sports than “next man up”.  

Yes sir!

If next man up cliche was a proper expectation starters at key spots wouldn’t make sooo much more. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They are pros for a reason.  They were drafted for a reason. You would expect at minimum 1 of them to be a sufficient replacement. 

These guys are giving up play after play and making players like Brissett look like pro bowlers. 

When a back up gets a chance to play, it's a chance for them to show what they can do Many starters got their shot as a back up. 

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

How are those CB's looking? 

Like one is a rookie, another rookie out hurt, and the other CB is only in 3rd season, 1st full season starting.  Plus missing DE, LB, Pro Bowl CB, and FS.

So yes they've struggled, but still not a high draft need.  If I were to guess now, I'd guess 1st round WR, 2nd round IOL, plus sign top IOL free agent

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well sir, this might be one of my favorite posts ever on TwoBillsDrive. Well said and well done. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

They are pros for a reason.  They were drafted for a reason. You would expect at minimum 1 of them to be a sufficient replacement. 

These guys are giving up play after play and making players like Brissett look like pro bowlers. 

When a back up gets a chance to play, it's a chance for them to show what they can do Many starters got their shot as a back up. 

Lets see

7th round pick and a 6th round pick were our outside corners. 6th round safety. 3rd round LBer with hardly any experience.

Not to mention the other backups in the game and pretty much no practice this week.  Backups are backups for a reason.  The other poster is right.  Next man up is kind of horseshit.  Did people say next man up last season for the Ravens last year?  I remember many making excuses for them because of all the injuries they had.

When you are missing a guy or two next man up is a thing.  When you have an injury report a mile long and no practice its not a thing anymore.

One of the problems IMO is the Dline despite all the picks and FA signings into it and the 200 man rotation there to keep them fresh just doesnt get home enough.

Edited by Scott7975

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.