Boomer Esiason suggests the Bills should trade for Barkley

Greg S

22 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

So you want to cherry pick the last two games?  His career average is higher than Barkleys so let's cherry pick Barley's 2020 season where he averaged 1.8 for the whole season.  See how that works?  When you cherry pick your stats you can make up just about anything.

This season is this season. They’ve only played 3 lol

20 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Say what? He had a TD and 95 scrimmage yards last week.

Prior 2 weeks he averaged 4.5 ypc

Last 6 games last year he was the 6th best fantasy back.

He doesn't get rushing opportunities 

He. Is. Not. Playing. Well. This. Year.

You are not going to get lots of rushing opportunities when you are averaging 3.5 YPC.

Mortgage the future? If the Bills are in firm contention and can get a player like Barkley - who is plainly better than Singletary and would add another guy teams would actually have to game plan for - Anything short of your first rounder should be on the table. The goal is to win a Super Bowl, your "window" be damned. Kick the door down when you can.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If I missed the context, apologies.  explain the context of the bolded 

Anotjer poster was saying he couldn’t make the cutback because there was 1 defender in the vicinity.

I was saying that’s ridiculous, because if that’s true, then he’s not an NFL running back.

But I do think he can make that guy miss.

Edited by Einstein

13 minutes ago, Free Speech said:

Mortgage the future? If the Bills are in firm contention and can get a player like Barkley - who is plainly better than Singletary and would add another guy teams would actually have to game plan for - Anything short of your first rounder should be on the table. The goal is to win a Super Bowl, your "window" be damned. Kick the door down when you can.  

I’ve never fully believed in the idea of contenders “mortgaging the future”. Successful teams have more flexibility with those early round picks, because you already have your QB. I’m not going to devalue the importance of the draft, but we hope to be selecting 32nd in the 2023 draft. There’s an abundance of great players found outside the first round. When we have superstars at QB, WR, and defensive talent galore, I’m not stressed by losing a draft pick. That’s not mortgaging the future. The o line needs attention, but o lines are often built with mid round selections. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't see a trade for Barkley happening.  He's making around $7M this year and the Bills have about $1.5M in cap space.  Beane would have to move more money into future years to make it happen.  I could see them trying to sign OBJ but that could be difficult financially and he'll have a bunch of interest.

27 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This season is this season. They’ve only played 3 lol

He. Is. Not. Playing. Well. This. Year.

You are not going to get lots of rushing opportunities when you are averaging 3.5 YPC.

You're missing the point and clearly have a hatred for motor.  Idk what you aren't understanding. 

He had a rough game on the ground last week, in limited opportunities but does great at pass protection and caught 9 for 78 and a TD. That's terrible 🙄

And we must be watching a different game cause he looks damn fine to me.. 

Edited by JerseyBills

6 hours ago, uninja said:

I don’t like it. Injury prone RB in a contract year playing with a limited sample size. 

We’d be mortgaging future draft picks for a 1 season rental and then surely letting him walk in FA because we don’t have the cap space to pay him the kind of money he could fetch in the open market. 

It reeks of desperation and of making a move for the sake of making a move. 

Yet many were clamoring about Christian McCaffrey 😳

• Thank you (+1) 1

I had the same thought a few days ago. Makes a ton of sense.

Trouble is, it only makes sense to the Giants if they’re not competitive. At the moment, they’re exceeding expectations, and in a weak NFC, they’re a wild card contender until proven otherwise.

Unfortunately, I don’t see them being eliminated before the trade deadline. 

Best thing that could happen for the Giants is to learn they’re not ready yet and make the trade. Acquire the capital they’ll need to rebuild the team the right way. 

6 hours ago, The Red King said:

Problem is o-line.  Defenders are in our backfield on runs up the middle.  I don't care who you have at running back, it's not gonna work.

U know why there’s no room to run up the middle right because defenses don’t respect Singletary or Moss ability to threaten the outside with consistency.  RB is not a cookie cutter position some guys actually make a huge difference because of there abilities.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, WickedGame said:

I had the same thought a few days ago. Makes a ton of sense.

Trouble is, it only makes sense to the Giants if they’re not competitive. At the moment, they’re exceeding expectations, and in a weak NFC, they’re a wild card contender until proven otherwise.

Unfortunately, I don’t see them being eliminated before the trade deadline. 

Best thing that could happen for the Giants is to learn they’re not ready yet and make the trade. Acquire the capital they’ll need to rebuild the team the right way. 

They have a very tough schedule coming up after they play the Bears they have the Pack, Ravens and Jags . If the Giants are 2-5 by the deadline look for them to unload Barkley for a couple pks. I would have no problem giving them a 2nd and 5th . Barkley and Allen would be a lethal combo for teams to contend with.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Greg S said:

Appearing on FanDuel's "Up & Adams," the CBS analyst and former NFL MVP said that if Giants running back Saquon Barkley keeps producing like he is, the Buffalo Bills could come calling.

If Saquon Barkley continues to do what he's doing ... by the trade deadline, ... that's a serious thing that I think the Buffalo Bills would look at... Saquon is probably as good now as he'll ever be in the NFL ... why would the Giants keep him? If the Bills would love to have a top-end running back and give the Giants a second or a third-round draft pick, you'd have to consider it if you're the Giants.

The problem with the run game is the OL. Even Saquon wouldn't be consistently good behind this group the way they're playing now. And if they get better, the RB room now is good enough to play quite well, witness the last third of the season last year.

Saquon's a great player again, that's good to see. 

But they wouldn't be able to sign him to a new contract after the season, so this year they'll need to give their current RBs plenty of chances to improve, to help them decide what to do with Singletary in the off-season and Moss the year after.

In any case, the G-Men have $56M under the cap next year. Now that Saquon is back and still 25 years old, the Giants are very likely to want to keep him. The Bills on the other hand are already $7M over the cap next year according to Spotrac, with a number of important guys still to sign.

3 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

So your picture of a running play with a free runner coming unblocked down the line to stop him in the backfield is evidence that our rushing problems are at the rb position?

Not to normal people, no.

But confirmation bias is a deeply powerful handicap to clear thinking. When you're already convinced of something, plenty of clear and logical evidence it's wrong won't convince you.

Singletary was 6th in the league last year at Broken + Missed Tackles Forced %, with 11.2%. Only Javonte Williams, Rhamondre Stevenson, James Conner, Michael Carter and D'Onta Foreman were better.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2022/07/rb-broken-plus-missed-tackles-forced-percentage-analysis-2022-fantasy-football-javonte-williams-elijah-mitchell-ezekiel-elliott/

And Singletary is killing it again this year in forcing broken and missed tackles.

https://www.rotoballer.com/2022-running-back-stat-busts-missed-tackles-forced/995609

But when you have an idea absolutely planted in your brain you don't let facts get in the way of things.

Looking at what some people get from that clip where the guy is deliberately slowing himself running down the line to set the edge should make the same point.

But for some, it won't. Nothing will.

Some people pick a hill to die on and never notice that it's actually a valley.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

A lot of people talking **** but I guarantee most of you would be very excited if this happened. Singletary is good, but Barkley (when healthy) is def a cut above. Any slight improvement to our running game would massively help this offense. I’m tired of Josh being the leading passer AND rusher almost every season. Yes, it’s cool for MVP votes, but personally I don’t really care for that stuff. 

"A cut above" is being nice.  Motor will NEVER be a 1300 yard, 91 reception back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.