Boomer Esiason suggests the Bills should trade for Barkley

Greg S

30 minutes ago, Greg S said:

They are 2-1 but they are not a good football team. While their defense has been good the offense is terrible. Schoen and Daboll are looking at a rebuild. Just like Beane and McDermott did when they got here. Beane did trade Sammy Watkins who was one of our better players on offense at the time. Schoen is probably looking to acquire as many picks as possible for a reset/rebuild. Besides the Eagles are winning the division this year anyway unless injuries play a factor.

Yeah, I mean...

They're 2-1 and they're going to compete to win. Schoen came from the Beane front office. Beane DID trade away key players in year one, but he also brought in key players. He still tried to win while also rebuilding.

It is critical to the culture building part of a rebuild that your players buy in to the notion that you're still trying to win football games.

As such, you'll have to excuse me if I don't see the Giants GM walking into his locker room -- or a media scrum of New York City reporters -- and saying "Look, I know we're 2-1 and people are excited about Giants football for the first time in years, but we just traded away our best player to get cap space for the future".

If the Giants lose a bunch of games and the trade deadline approaches and they're essentially eliminated from playoff contention? Sure, then maybe we can have this discussion. But right now? I don't buy it one bit.

• Agree 4

I'm in if: 1) 3rd rd pick is absolute best offer; and 2) there's fruitful engagement on a reasonable extension. I'm out if: 1) asking price exceeds 3rd rd pick; and 2) it's a rental scenario.

Singletary is gone after this season. Moss and Cook will never be more than rotational pieces. Bills will have to address RB in 2023 and the top couple draft picks need to go toward OL/S at this point. 

45 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

A lot of people talking **** but I guarantee most of you would be very excited if this happened. Singletary is good, but Barkley (when healthy) is def a cut above. Any slight improvement to our running game would massively help this offense. I’m tired of Josh being the leading passer AND rusher almost every season. Yes, it’s cool for MVP votes, but personally I don’t really care for that stuff. 

I would love to see him in a Bills uniform!  That being said, the questions is, "for what cost"?

• Agree 1

If we are going to give up stuff to acquire someone on offense, I would rather acquire someone useful, like another really good receiver.

We really aren't that deep at WR.

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Runningback is the one position where we have good depth and no injuries. We need offensive line depth.

I would be concerned about adding depth all over the field, on both sides of the ball, before I would think about RB.

I would be all in on this idea. They brought it up on the four letter network this morning, and my immediate thought was the Bills. Adding that kind of threat to our offense, in a win now year: Wow! It would be a huge upgrade and add to our offense in many ways. Yes!

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Such a simplistic thought process.

"The Bills running game has been lackluster. Saquon Barkley has been good. The Bills could trade for Barkley!".

First, the offensive line is what has been ailing the Bills' run game, not the running backs. Unless Barkley can play guard or right tackle, I don't see him fixing our running game. 

Second, the Giants are 2-1 and, for the first time in a while, are actually relevant and competing for their division. WHY exactly would they want to trade us their only offensive weapon?

The whole thing doesn't make any sense. It's just random brain diarrhea to fill air time.

Have you actually watched the giants play? I think they have a bright future, but for this season they're early season frauds.

The only reason not to trade Barkley is if you are genuinely trying to evaluate Jones...but they just lost Sheppard...

Trade Barkley for say a 5th or 6th, eat some of his salary, that gets you what, probably 10 draft slots higher at least?

What did the bills have to give to to get Josh Allen from 22? The giants aren't making the playoffs this year, no way unless it suddenly clicks for Jones.

Now if Jones is incrementally hitting success metrics they have in place and he's trending to where they need him to be, ok, but only the team knows that. Give him another few weeks, but if they're not resigning Barkley then why the heck are they not trading him? Goal is to win a super bowl, not back into a playoff spot and get blown out.

Also, saying Barkley is injury prone is a bit silly this season. He had an acl injury that took him out of one season, and then you don't really come back from an acl fully until year two and any other injuries were likely related to the knee not being fully right. He looks great so far. 

That said, I agree the bills running woes aren't on the rbs this year, and the one game they actually had an offensive line against the Rams they ran it well. So I do think the running game is in better shape than the last two weeks, it's injuries. If you could get Barkley for a 6th or trade moss straight up and maybe even get a pick back, and have the giants eat some of his salary, would you do it? 

If I thought the solution to our one sided play selection and production had anything to do with the running backs I'd be more inclined to do what it takes to bring in some other talent but I think Singletary is the least used best player possibly on the team and Cook is going to be a huge talent as well.  If we called running plays and had any committment to the running game and it's execution I'm sure Singletary and Cook would prove to be very good.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Runningback is the one position where we have good depth and no injuries. We need offensive line depth.

Running Back could use an upgrade. The line looks worse than it is because the RB’s are not taking the opportunities available to them.

Barkley cuts this back and races the safety for a TD.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Running Back could use an upgrade. The line looks worse than it is because the RB’s are not taking the opportunities available to them.

Barkley cuts this back and races the safety for a TD.

Singletary has bas been top 5 and top ten in yards after contact the last two years.  Not sure what you are basing that opinion on.

Actually funny enough 2 out of the last 3 years Motor has actually averaged more yards after contact than Allen based on pro football reference.

8 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Singletary has bas been top 5 and top ten in yards after contact the last two years.  Not sure what you are basing that opinion on.

Actually funny enough 2 out of the last 3 years Motor has actually averaged more yards after contact than Allen based on pro football reference.

Not sure what you mean. Being average in YAC (his was 2.3 and the mean of the league was 2.2) does not mean that he isn’t missing opportunities for longer plays. Did you look at the photo in the tweet I posted?

1 hour ago, Logic said:

It is critical to the culture building part of a rebuild that your players buy in to the notion that you're still trying to win football games.

Agree.    The run defense destroying Dareus trade, followed by the Tyrod benching undermined a fantastic start to 2017 where they were trending toward an 11-5 type season with big buy-in.     Took a truly feeble schedule and some lucky breaks to back into the playoffs after the worst 3 game stretch in team history.    If they are positioned as a playoff team in mid-October I'm not sure Daboll wants to count on such good fortune trading a key contributor even if they don't expect to retain Barkley.

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Not sure what you mean. Being average in YAC (his was 2.3 and the mean of the league was 2.2) does not mean that he isn’t missing opportunities for longer plays. Did you look at the photo in the tweet I posted?

That's last year.  He was top ten in yards after contact average at 2.3 which was better than Henry or Barkley (1.7 yac) and the year before he averaged 2.9 after contact which was 3rd in the league.  Yes I looked at your tweet and I don't see any definitive evidence he has some kind of cutback there.  The DE had contain the whole time.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

That's last year.  He was top ten in yards after contact average at 2.3 which was better than Henry or Barkley (1.7 yac) and the year before he averaged 2.9 after contact which was 3rd in the league.  Yes I looked at your tweet and I don't see any definitive evidence he has some kind of cutback there.  The DE had contain the whole time.  

If your running back can’t beat a DE on a cut back then you don’t have a running back. You have a fullback.

Do you realize that you basically just said: “Jee he had to beat 1 defender.  If he has a single defender near him, then he just has to fall down for 2 yards”?

If he can’t beat this guy one on one then we have serious RB issues. Most players dream of one on ones like this.

52-EEC6-F5-FEBB-4112-A4-BD-D3059-D2-D7-A

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.