Boomer Esiason suggests the Bills should trade for Barkley

Greg S

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I would absolutely do this. Trade Moss or even Singletary plus a reasonable draft pick. Daboll and Schoen are building for the future. Barkley isn't part of that future and they need to accumulate draft picks to move on from Daniel Jones. So I think it could make sense for both sides. But if it was going to happen, I think it already would have.

I haven't paid enough attention but he does seem to be a culture/Lockeroom guy for them right now, would be kind of a blow to lose him like that.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I would absolutely do this. Trade Moss or even Singletary plus a reasonable draft pick. Daboll and Schoen are building for the future. Barkley isn't part of that future and they need to accumulate draft picks to move on from Daniel Jones. So I think it could make sense for both sides. But if it was going to happen, I think it already would have.

To much to give up for someone who has a history of injuries. Barkley when healthy is better than Moss/Singletary but can he stay healthy. The Giants would have to retain salary for the Bills to make it work.

I still think Barkley buys you a good 1.5 months of the season.  He won't be there for the playoffs. It's very risky.  

If you must trade for a RB, I think the Bills would be in a better position to take a flyer on Josh Jacobs or Cordarrelle Patterson.  The Raiders didn't pick up the 5th year on JJ, and Patterson is a 31 year old player on a rebuilding Falcons team who turns out is a pretty decent RB.  I'd want to add a value weapon to compliment what you have, not an all the eggs in the basket superstar.  

Such a simplistic thought process.

"The Bills running game has been lackluster. Saquon Barkley has been good. The Bills could trade for Barkley!".

First, the offensive line is what has been ailing the Bills' run game, not the running backs. Unless Barkley can play guard or right tackle, I don't see him fixing our running game. 

Second, the Giants are 2-1 and, for the first time in a while, are actually relevant and competing for their division. WHY exactly would they want to trade us their only offensive weapon?

The whole thing doesn't make any sense. It's just random brain diarrhea to fill air time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Here’s a list of all the elite/“feature” running backs that have won a ring in the last 15 years.

1. Marshawn Lynch

Thanks for reading.

And Leonard Fournette who carried TB through the playoffs/SB.

And the Eagles relied on both Blount and Ajayi in 2017 (two big names)

And the Ravens had Ray Rice when they beat SF

Pretty much any SB team besides the Patriots, which skew your stat of "the last 15 years" since they won like half of them in that time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Such a simplistic thought process.

"The Bills running game has been lackluster. Saquon Barkley has been good. The Bills could trade for Barkley!".

First, the offensive line is what has been ailing the Bills' run game, not the running backs. Unless Barkley can play guard or right tackle, I don't see him fixing our running game. 

Second, the Giants are 2-1 and, for the first time in a while, are actually relevant and competing for their division. WHY exactly would they want to trade us their only offensive weapon?

The whole thing doesn't make any sense. It's just random brain diarrhea to fill air time.

They are 2-1 but they are not a good football team. While their defense has been good the offense is terrible. Schoen and Daboll are looking at a rebuild. Just like Beane and McDermott did when they got here. Beane did trade Sammy Watkins who was one of our better players on offense at the time. Schoen is probably looking to acquire as many picks as possible for a reset/rebuild. Besides the Eagles are winning the division this year anyway unless injuries play a factor.

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

They are 2-1 but they are not a good football team. While their defense has been good the offense is terrible. Schoen and Daboll are looking at a rebuild. Just like Beane and McDermott did when they got here. Beane did trade Sammy Watkins who was one of our better players on offense at the time. Schoen is probably looking to acquire as many picks as possible for a reset/rebuild. Besides the Eagles are winning the division this year anyway unless injuries play a factor.

That was before the season though.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

First, the offensive line is what has been ailing the Bills' run game, not the running backs.

It's both. Singletary and Moss miss their cutback lanes more than they should. When big holes are there, they aren't athletically gifted enough to maximize the opportunity. Barkley is a big upgrade on either one of them. If opposing defenses had to account for him out of the backfield along with all the other pressure we put on them it creates more opportunities.

All of this is just hypothetical though. I don't know if we can afford him and I don't know if the Giants would want to trade someone that seemingly fits into their culture when the season is already underway. This isn't a Sammy Watkins situation.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Problem is o-line.  Defenders are in our backfield on runs up the middle.  I don't care who you have at running back, it's not gonna work.

Our OL can't run block to save their lives. Last week we struggled pass protection. Barkley would just have to bounce everything outside like Spiller. I know we need faster than Singletary/Cook, but I don't know if Saquon is the answer at what price he'll command.

We have our HOF QB & WR, but still searching for Thurman.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I have the same injury concerns, but the rams used Von as a 1 yr rental and got a sb out of it.

They didn’t plan on it being a one year rental though.  

They tried getting him locked down for two more years.. but the Bills offered three (guaranteed). 

A lot of people talking **** but I guarantee most of you would be very excited if this happened. Singletary is good, but Barkley (when healthy) is def a cut above. Any slight improvement to our running game would massively help this offense. I’m tired of Josh being the leading passer AND rusher almost every season. Yes, it’s cool for MVP votes, but personally I don’t really care for that stuff. 

6 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Motor is SOO underrated. 

If we gave him as many opportunities as Barkley he'd put up close numbers.  Barkley is more talented but Motor is a clear RB1 in the NFL.  Great vision, rarely fumbles.

He can catch and pass protect

Rev that Motor Dorsey.

Motor’s YPC is terrible

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.