Off-Tackle Podcast with Jerry Ostroski standing in for John Fina: Go To 40:30

Nextmanup

This podcast has been discussed here before and is generally an excellent watch/listen.

A few days ago, John Fina's mom passed away and so former Bills O-lineman Jerry Ostroski stood in for him after the Miami game.

Jerry picked up where John left off, getting into a lot of nitty gritty technical line play discussion.

I eat this stuff up with gravy!  

The whole podcast is worth your time, but I wanted to make this thread to discuss the video/discussion starting around 40:30 specifically.  

Jerry breaks down Greg Van Roten's silent count procedure, and how he was making a rookie mistake giving away the timing of the snap to the defensive line every time.  He mentioned that if he (Ostroski) was the one doing that, John Fina would be in the huddle yelling at him and telling him to change it up on every snap.  This gave Miami's pass rush a huge edge and they were just teeing off as a result.  

Just a very interesting little piece of the game that only ex-players are going to identify and discuss in this manner.  

I highly recommend this podcast regularly with John Fina, but I thought Jerry was fantastic this week!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5FHnBNcmnk

Go to 40:30

• Like (+1) 3
  • Angry 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 minute ago, teef said:

you eat this stuff up with gravy?

Yeah!  Real discussion about the game of football as actually played at the NFL level.

Almost all talking head commentary is not about ANY of this.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

I wonder if Josh did say something, or whether he thought it might mess the snap up even more if Van Roten kept adapting the call, so left him be?

He may not even have been aware of what Van Roten was doing...but this commentary is coming from a guy who used to play center (for a little while at least) in the NFL.  So he's tuned into different things on a different level.

Just now, teef said:

some of us try to be playful.  others try to be mean.  guess what side you are on?

Can you please stop filling the thread up with garbage?

Is your free time that valueless?  Have you nothing better to do with your time?

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He may not even have been aware of what Van Roten was doing...but this commentary is coming from a guy who used to play center (for a little while at least) in the NFL.  So he's tuned into different things on a different level.

Is your free time that valueless?  Have you nothing better to do with your time?

Presumably the coaching staff will pick up on this. Hopefully Morse might be fit for Sunday.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

i was really trying to reach out to you and create a relationship.  i guess i know what side of the playfull/mean line you lean towards.  did something go wrong today to make you upset?   you're typically level headed and pleasant.  

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Presumably the coaching staff will pick up on this. Hopefully Morse might be fit for Sunday.

I would think the O-line coach would, but who knows!  

Getting Morse in there would be fantastic, and this clip I'm trying to share with people is just one of a million little reasons why...and why it sucks to have injuries and have to play players who shouldn't be on the field.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I would think the O-line coach would, but who knows!  

Getting Morse in there would be fantastic, and this clip I'm trying to share with people is just one of a million little reasons why...and why it sucks to have injuries and have to play players who shouldn't be on the field.

Or at least playing players out of position. Van Roten would have probably been OK at Guard, but not at Centre.

If you watch the sack/fumble Dawkins wasn't even ready for the snap...he was looking inside at a Dolphins player and then the guard signals for the snap almost immediately once he gets into his stance and before Dawkins can even turn his head back towards Ingram he is already by him...I am not sure who is at fault there...Dawkins for not being ready and turning his attention away from the outside player(I am assuming he was trying to point out to the guy next to him that he should take the inside player) or for the ball being snapped so quickly which appeared to catch his own teammates off guard and not ready.

That was one of those WTF just happened plays that we almost never see.

Ostrowski also feels Spencer Brown is still bothered by his back a little bit because he isn't as aggressive as normal in pass protection.

Also...watching a few of the stuffed runs... am starting to wonder if Allen is not audibling out of runs that are almost doomed to fail based on defensive numbers towards the play side meaning they have more defenders than we have blockers, which means the play needs to be changed or they need to flip it to the other side.  Could the run game be getting stuffed because Allen may be poor at audibling out of bad runs based on the D?

Edited by Big Turk

44 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I find your post to be great.  Thanks for posting.  

I find his post to be great too.  Adds some spice to the thread.   Makes the thread more diverse 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.