Cover 1 Breakdown of Dolphins game on D...Dolphins used similar concepts shown by Tennessee with some tweaks to attack Bills, Backups hurt us on some plays, coaches could have helped a little more(Mostly favorable review of play of Bills D all in all)

Big Turk

50 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Please explain how the coaching staff let us down? 

2nd-1 from the Dolphins 1/2 yard line. 

And we go Allen RPO, Pass, Pass with under 2 minutes left. 

Despite the struggles, we can't just plow ahead 3x and get the ball into the endzone and milk the clock at the same time? 

Especially after Singletary ran the play before and got to the goal line? 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, uninja said:

I mean that by and large the Phins forced the Bills to play the game on their terms. Dink and dunk, get tired, let them creep towards the red zone, then clamp down. They kept the same blitz looks from the first half into the second, but dropped into zone coverages and took away the deep and middle of the field. Line play suffered as players went down and got tired, pressure came too fast, forcing Josh to take the dump offs and short passes they were giving up.

They knew we were tired and our offense was on the field too long. Have to get rid of the ball fast because the pressure is coming, can't wait for plays to develop, not enough bodies at WR to rotate in fresh guys so people are tired and can't sprint, get separation.

I highly doubt our offense came in there with a gameplan to play 12-16 play drives in sweltering heat as a means to shield our defense. There's playing ball control offense, and then there's the defense letting you wear yourself out so you can't close it out in the redzone because the drive just killed your offense because its so damn hot and you don't have bodies to rotate in.

Even so, the Bills had an unusual number of unforced errors on offense they almost never make which would have rendered this strategy moot. Bills moreso killed themselves.

14 minutes ago, uninja said:

I mean that by and large the Phins forced the Bills to play the game on their terms. Dink and dunk, get tired, let them creep towards the red zone, then clamp down. They kept the same blitz looks from the first half into the second, but dropped into zone coverages and took away the deep and middle of the field. Line play suffered as players went down and got tired, pressure came too fast, forcing Josh to take the dump offs and short passes they were giving up.

They knew we were tired and our offense was on the field too long. Have to get rid of the ball fast because the pressure is coming, can't wait for plays to develop, not enough bodies at WR to rotate in fresh guys so people are tired and can't sprint, get separation.

I highly doubt our offense came in there with a gameplan to play 12-16 play drives in sweltering heat as a means to shield our defense. There's playing ball control offense, and then there's the defense letting you wear yourself out so you can't close it out in the redzone because the drive just killed your offense because its so damn hot and you don't have bodies to rotate in.

No one in the history of sports ever said the offense held the ball too long.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Even so, the Bills had an unusual number of unforced errors on offense they almost never make which would have rendered this strategy moot. Bills moreso killed themselves.

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No one in the history of sports ever said the offense held the ball too long.

The longer you hold the ball and the more plays you’re forced to run, the greater the likelihood for errors. It’s the same defensive philosophy the Bills have employed under Frazier and McDermott, “make them earn every yard”

The Phins gave up two TDs in the first playing aggressive, but got a TD out of it from the fumble. Second half they adjusted, forced the Bills to dink and dunk and the Bills offense only managed 3 points. 

I would call that a solidly well executed defensive strategy against a superior (albeit handicapped) opponent. 

Sure, the Bills made many uncharacteristic mistakes in that game. That being said I give credit to the Dolphins game plan for creating situations for the Bills to make those mistakes. It brings up Napoleon’s quote, “never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.”

25 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Despite the struggles, we can't just plow ahead 3x and get the ball into the endzone and milk the clock at the same time? 

This is where you not really paying attention or maybe not understanding nuances come into play. Also you are vastly underestimating the impact no having Morse had on this game ESPECIALLY with all the other things going on.

So firstly, I don't know if you were paying attention when the Bills attempted an under center play during the game prior to this, but it was a fiasco.  Van Roten struggled with it and the combination of him snapping the ball off the top of his butt, "butt sweat" making the ball slippery and at that point having their 3rd string center in the game, who plays guard, made them eschew an under center snap because they were afraid it would result in a fumble like it did the first time and almost did again when Allen bobbled the bad snap at the end of the half on the attempted spike.  If they COULD have executed it, the playcall likely would have been Allen taking the snap and jumping into the air and reaching the ball over the goalline like he did in Minnesota for an easy TD.

So effectively, the Bills HAD to use a shotgun snap because the conditions and players combined to eliminate the possibility of an under center snap. 

Would have preferred to see QB Power which Allen runs better than anyone in the league, but likely they felt extended plays with 4 backup players requiring good timing was probably too much to ask.

The Bills mostly did not run effectively in the game, especially inside.  They actually rarely effectively run well inside, and less so with 4 backups in the game, 2 playing out of position.

So I kinda find it hard to nitpick the playcalls when Dorsey put it in the hands of his best player 3 times when everything else around him was a giant mess with players out and players cramping play to play.  Even so, the play to McKenzie was wide open for a TD on 4th down and Allen double clutched the ball and thrwe it into the ground...that was an easy TD and a play I am sure he would want back.

3 minutes ago, uninja said:

The longer you hold the ball and the more plays you’re forced to run, the greater the likelihood for errors. It’s the same defensive philosophy the Bills have employed under Frazier and McDermott, “make them earn every yard”

The Phins gave up two TDs in the first playing aggressive, but got a TD out of it from the fumble. Second half they adjusted, forced the Bills to dink and dunk and the Bills offense only managed 3 points. 

I would call that a solidly well executed defensive strategy against a superior (albeit handicapped) opponent. 

Sure, the Bills made many uncharacteristic mistakes in that game. That being said I give credit to the Dolphins game plan for creating situations for the Bills to make those mistakes. It brings up Napoleon’s quote, “never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.”

I think the Bills suffering the effects of heat, numerous players cramping and 4 offensive linemen out likely had more to do with it than the Dolphins D, but good for them...they made a few plays when it counted.  The Bills still moved the ball at will and left multiple TD's out there they would normally complete. I mean for Christ Sake, they were running 3 WR sets with Quentin Morris, Reggie Gilliam and James Cook as the WR's at times and STILL moving the ball.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The easy wide open TD pass was there.  Allen just didnt make it.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The easy wide open TD pass was there.  Allen just didnt make it.

Additionally he fails to realize that snapping a ball under center was just not going to happen due to multiple previous center exchange issues, it being a 3rd string C who was actually a guard, and "butt sweat" making the ball very slippery. 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Westside said:

That’s every offense pretty much. I credit the defense and the young guys  filling in. They did a remarkable job. The coaching staff once again has let us down. They will be the downfall of this team.

How? How did the coaches let's down?

32 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It's a strange spot to be in - you want to milk clock and score a TD.  But if you don't score you need to have clock as well.  

Sometimes I think Cover1 just overthinks things.

The 3rd and 22 was just a really bad play call for what the Dolphins dialed up.

Look at the photo below. The bottom half of the field has 0 Dolphins in it, yet 3 Bills defenders (red circles). They’re literally covering empty field.

5-FD654-B1-C9-ED-462-F-B23-F-8056-B7-B0-

The middle of the field has 2 Bills defenders on 1 Dolphin (yellow circle).

0-E82-F920-A006-40-C0-B1-CF-502-F3-A8-AF

Then you have a safety and CB in conflict between Hill running a post and the Dolphin in the flat.

1-F0-D6-A02-F0-A2-47-AB-8-B3-B-C1-A24-B2

And that leaves 1 on 1 against a backup safety for Waddle on the post.

Every Bills defender except for the safety played (much) in front of the 1st down marker.

On 3rd and 22, there should never be a situation where numerous defenders are doing literally nothing.

Edited by Einstein

1 hour ago, uninja said:

You can play that game all day long though. When it came time to make a play, the Phins did. Can’t say the same for the Bills. 

On that Sunday, they were the better team on the field. They made less mistakes, made plays when they needed to and kept the Bills off balance. I don’t think they’re better than the Bills, but that’s why they play the games. 

They won the game. They were not the better team. It happens. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Look at the photo below. The bottom half of the field has 0 Dolphins in it, yet 3 Bills defenders (red box and red circles). They’re literally covering empty field.

Every Bills defender except for the safety played (much) in front of the 1st down marker.

AF616-DB9-D1-F0-4-F5-D-8-BAB-55-DD079-F8

That is correct and Jaquon did not get deep enough at safety.  I don't understand why Von Miller dropped into coverage and we only rushed 3.  Either the wrong defense was called or it was poor communication.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Look at the photo below. The bottom half of the field has 0 Dolphins in it, yet 3 Bills defenders (red box and red circles). They’re literally covering empty field.

AF616-DB9-D1-F0-4-F5-D-8-BAB-55-DD079-F8

I mean you are right...if the Dolphins coaches had been nice enough to tell Leslie what play they were planning to run ahead of time he could have changed the play call. Or maybe if he didn't spend so much time in meetings and instead took some time out to call Miss Cleo, he could have gotten some psychic friends to help him know what play they were running...

I mean seriously?  

You make a call against your best guess on what the other team is going to try and do versus their tendencies coming into the game, what they have shown during the game on similar down/distances and formations/personnel groupings, and your instincts.  

Many times you are wrong in terms of putting your defense in a perfect call against an offensive play and then it's up to the players to still make something happen.  Think it is safe to say the two young safeties got beat on this play.  Hyde and Poyer would have either picked it, broken the pass up or forced Tua to throw the checkdown to the back leaking into the flat where the 3 Bill defenders in red would have been to make the tackle.

Just now, Big Turk said:

I mean you are right...if the Dolphins coaches had been nice enough to tell Leslie what play they were planning to run ahead of time he could have changed the play call. Or maybe if he didn't spend so much time in meetings and instead took some time out to call Miss Cleo, he could have gotten some psychic friends to help him know what play they were running...

I mean seriously?  

You make a call against your best guess on what the other team is going to try and do versus their tendencies coming into the game, what they have shown during the game on similar down/distances and formations/personnel groupings, and your instincts.  

Many times you are wrong in terms of putting your defense in a perfect call against an offensive play and then it's up to the players to still make something happen.  Think it is safe to say the two young safeties got beat on this play.  Hyde and Poyer would have either picked it, broken the pass up or forced Tua to throw the checkdown to the back leaking into the flat where the 3 Bill defenders in red would have been to make the tackle.

I think you misunderstood my post.

In reality, the play call was poor regardless of what the Dolphins called.

You should never have a defensive play call on 3rd and 20+ that is a guaranteed huge gain if a deep route is called.

The defensive play they dialed up only works if the opponent doesn’t send a deep route or if you have an elite safety that can recognize and get into good leverage very quickly.

Considering that Hyde and Poyer were out, that play never should have been run in that situation. 

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean seriously?  

OMG, when I read his post my jaw literally dropped.  Einstein doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

This is where you not really paying attention or maybe not understanding nuances come into play. Also you are vastly underestimating the impact no having Morse had on this game ESPECIALLY with all the other things going on.

So a professional football team couldn't complete a snap under Center with 1/2-yard to go? 

Okay, guess I wasn't paying attention hard enough. 

Assume what you say is true, my conclusion is we are stuck as a football team. When you can't trust your line, your running backs, to pick up 1/2-yard on the goal line on a 2nd-1, we're stuck. When Allen/Macrz/Van Roten can't complete a QB sneak because of butt sweat, and that causes you to lose a football game, that's astonishing frankly. 

44 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean seriously?  

Jaquan Johnson is young?

Damar Hamlin is young? 

These guys aren't rookies. This is Johnson's 4th year here. Hamlin you can say that. 

It's a bad Coaching call, one that we've seen before from McDermott and Frazier. 

This play off the ball 15 yards on long down and distances. 

Rushing 3, not playing man off the line with the safeties over top. 

This has happened before. 

43 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I think you misunderstood my post.

In reality, the play call was poor regardless of what the Dolphins called.

You should never have a defensive play call on 3rd and 20+ that is a guaranteed huge gain if a deep route is called.

The defensive play they dialed up only works if the opponent doesn’t send a deep route or if you have an elite safety that can recognize and get into good leverage very quickly.

Considering that Hyde and Poyer were out, that play never should have been run in that situation. 

PLAYING TOO FAR OFF

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Well, part of that was because they had to punt 5 times.  They had the chance to stay on the field more but failed. Ironically that might have been better for the Bills if they did.

Serious question. Do you think it's easier to play Offense or Defense in 105 plus degree heat and humidity?

Even though the Bills pretty much moved the ball on those long 20 and 17 play drives they had to take their toll over quick strike 8-10 play drives. 

If it were McDaniel's intention to keep the Bills ON the field as long as possible during those oppressive conditions in the hopes of them stalling from exhaustion would've been a genius move.

Now,  that being said we are well aware the Bills had plenty of chances to score. But let's not ignore the fact that the offense was obviously gassed and just couldn't execute as cleanly as usual.

20 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

So a professional football team couldn't complete a snap under Center with 1/2-yard to go? 

Okay, guess I wasn't paying attention hard enough. 

Assume what you say is true, my conclusion is we are stuck as a football team. When you can't trust your line, your running backs, to pick up 1/2-yard on the goal line on a 2nd-1, we're stuck. When Allen/Macrz/Van Roten can't complete a QB sneak because of butt sweat, and that causes you to lose a football game, that's astonishing frankly. 

Jaquan Johnson is young?

Damar Hamlin is young? 

These guys aren't rookies. This is Johnson's 4th year here. Hamlin you can say that. 

It's a bad Coaching call, one that we've seen before from McDermott and Frazier. 

This play off the ball 15 yards on long down and distances. 

Rushing 3, not playing man off the line with the safeties over top. 

This has happened before. 

PLAYING TOO FAR OFF

Eric Wood on WGR was talking about this.  Being at the 1 yard line at the goaline is the hardest snap to make.  It's because as soon as the ball is snapped, you're getting hit on both sides immediately.  If you don't have great chemistry with the QB, I believe Mancz our 3rd stringer center was in, it's a risk.  We already saw the miss snap with Van Rotten and now you're down to a 3rd stringer with the game on the line.

7 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Serious question. Do you think it's easier to play Offense or Defense in 105 plus degree heat and humidity?

Even though the Bills pretty much moved the ball on those long 20 and 17 play drives they had to take their toll over quick strike 8-10 play drives. 

If it were McDaniel's intention to keep the Bills ON the field as long as possible during those oppressive conditions in the hopes of them stalling from exhaustion would've been a genius move.

Now,  that being said we are well aware the Bills had plenty of chances to score. But let's not ignore the fact that the offense was obviously gassed and just couldn't execute as cleanly as usual.

I don't think it was McDaniels intention to keep the Bills on the field.  They had a very aggressive and attacking defense against us....they kept blitzing.  

It's probably equally as tough for both in the sun.  However when the Dolphins defense was off the field, they got to sit in the shade.  Our players stayed in the sun.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.