What is Bass' Range?

st pete gogolak

I was surprised going back and looking at play by play of Dolphins game that Bills were perhaps already in Bass' field goal range at end of game.  Situation was second and ten on Miami 43 with 22 seconds left, no timeouts.  Next play was holding penalty.  Was 60 yards within Bass' range?  How about a draw, pick up a few yards, spike, FG attempt from 55 - 56 yards.  I know that every possible scenario from the game has been beat to death but I'm wondering if 38 yard miss influenced decisions near end of game.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Dislike 1

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It’d say 55-60 he should be able to hit from, I sometimes feel like he doesn’t have the coaches trust quite yet. 

That ugly miss last week, did we ever figure out what that was? 

It was tipped according to a lot of people. I haven't seen a good replay.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I was surprised going back and looking at play by play of Dolphins game that Bills were perhaps already in Bass' field goal range at end of game.  Situation was second and ten on Miami 43 with 22 seconds left, no timeouts.  Next play was holding penalty.  Was 60 yards within Bass' range?  How about a draw, pick up a few yards, spike, FG attempt from 55 - 56 yards.  I know that every possible scenario from the game has been beat to death but I'm wondering if 38 yard miss influenced decisions near end of game.

I think they wanted to get it somewhere close to the 50. After the holding penalty I think when Allen started to move he should have just ran a few yards and then gone down because it would have given us the spike opportunity. For Isaiah to get from where he was to the sideline was always going to be tricky. He might have got there had he not tried to get us a few yards.... I dunno. I think the holding penalty killed it tbh. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

The TV red line they had is based on the kicker's past history and realistic range.  Can kickers outkick what the imaginary line is on the field?  Sure, but the further back you go, you're typically going to sacrifice accuracy due to the kicker having to put more into the kick itself.  Could Bass hit from 60?  On a good day in good conditions?  Probably, but probably not with any consistency.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It’d say 55-60 he should be able to hit from, I sometimes feel like he doesn’t have the coaches trust quite yet. 

That ugly miss last week, did we ever figure out what that was? 

To me it looked like a bad kick that was tipped because it wasn't kicked clean.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they wanted to get it somewhere close to the 50. After the holding penalty I think when Allen started to move he should have just ran a few yards and then gone down because it would have given us the spike opportunity. For Isaiah to get from where he was to the sideline was always going to be tricky. He might have got there had he not tried to get us a few yards.... I dunno. I think the holding penalty killed it tbh. 

The problem was that everyone was down field already.  If we could have gone down with closer to 15 seconds left you can theoretically collapse on the ground and get the 10 second runoff to attend to injury.  

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The holding penalty for sure killed it.  I think to hit the sideline Isiah would have had to loop further backward away from the Phins endzone.  The defender did a decent job of playing the angle and forcing him back inside.

A Lil' Dirty that wasn't cramping might have been able to get the yardage and get out of bounds. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

At the Miami 47 following the holding call- a draw gets you 3 yards?  That puts the ball on the 50 which equates to a 68 yard kick.  That would be a new NFL record.

18 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Probably - there was zero wind and he may very well have hit a 60 yarder...but then again his miss was pretty bad so who knows what would have been going through his mind if he had an opportunity at the end.

14 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

The TV red line they had is based on the kicker's past history and realistic range.  Can kickers outkick what the imaginary line is on the field?  Sure, but the further back you go, you're typically going to sacrifice accuracy due to the kicker having to put more into the kick itself.  Could Bass hit from 60?  On a good day in good conditions?  Probably, but probably not with any consistency.

I think teams decide what the max range is based off kickers warm ups and what the kicker is comfortable with before the game even starts.

21 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Such a brutal time to have a holding penalty.  

I'd give Bass even odds at hitting from 60 to win the game.  

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah Mckenzie could have just ran forward for  a few yards and went down. He never should have tried for the boundary.

If he could make it to this red circle (dive if you have to), then that’s a 60 yard field goal.

6-A02-DD22-1163-418-B-856-D-AF0-E1-B3-CA

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Yeah Mckenzie could have just ran forward for  a few yards and went down. He never should have tried for the boundary.

If he could make it to this red circle (dive if you have to), then that’s a 60 yard field goal.

6-A02-DD22-1163-418-B-856-D-AF0-E1-B3-CA

Two options were forward and immediately down or make it to the sideline.  He tried to do both and didn't.  Not his fault, not Josh's.  The battered line held taking them out of range, and then collapsed on the final play.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think teams decide what the max range is based off kickers warm ups and what the kicker is comfortable with before the game even starts.

True, but the TV is attempting to give viewers a reasonable expectation for where they need to get to for what is a realistic attempt at a FG and they base that of the kicker's career long I believe.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

True, but the TV is attempting to give viewers a reasonable expectation for where they need to get to for what is a realistic attempt at a FG and they base that of the kicker's career long I believe.

Well thanks for that.  I honestly never paid much attention and just assumed the redline was like just a generic distance for everyone.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.