Run conundrum

Italian Bills

The run game is a real problem for too long right now. 

How is it possible that we couldn’t fix this problem after all this years ? 

Poor backs ? Poor OL ? We can’t run the ball consistently with all the backs together for about 150 yards a game, i don’t mean 400, but at least 150… com’on. 

And what I noticed is the we run the middle most of the times and most of the times with no gain. 

What about go outside the los and not through the middle ? Am i missing something ? 

Opinions ? Possible solutions ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

They ran the ball ok against LA.  

Not so much against Tennessee.  

Im really hesitant to use the Miami game as much of a baseline for anything.  They blitzed almost every play, Miami had defenders all over the LOS, and any creativity and/or pulling linemen was lost when we started seeing the effects of the heat early on.  

It certainly seems like it’s a problem though.  

A start would be to shorten the RB rotation. No idea why they rotate backs so much.  I don’t care if it’s Singletary or Moss, but pick one and stick with them. Rotate Cook in as the change of pace back. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Interesting point.

It's funny how a Derrick Henry can make Ryan Tannehill look so very good, but Josh Allen's talent doesn't for our RB's as Henry for Tannehill has.

Not a slam on Allen, you just think with so much focus on Josh and the pass, the RB's would have a hey day when runs are called. 

• Agree 1

I just don’t know if I want the Bills to run the ball enough times to “establish a run game.” I just looked at the stats for the Colts/Chiefs game. JT had 22 carries for 78 yards. If that was a QB stat, it would be horrendous. All running-heavy teams have similar stats. In 2022, it just seems inefficient. I would agree that we need to improve our ability to pick up 1-2 hard yards with RBs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

It's funny because during the drought years, the only thing we could do RIGHT on offense was run the ball. We had backs like McGahee, Henry, Lynch, Jackson, and McCoy and some future HOF linemen like Ruben Brown and Jason Peters. 

We're built for the passing game and we've only taken one offensive lineman with a 1st round pick in the last 20 years (Eric Wood in 2009)

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

Interesting point.

It's funny how a Derrick Henry can make Ryan Tannehill look so very good, but Josh Allen's talent doesn't for our RB's as Henry for Tannehill has.

Not a slam on Allen, you just think with so much focus on Josh and the pass, the RB's would have a hey day when runs are called. 

Teams tend to have at least one guy spying. Might not be a bad idea to run a reverse or something occasionally from a QB sprint or RPO look to add an extra wrinkle. Might help to bring back some of those McK jet sweeps and mix Knox into that mix as well. Give the defenses a few other opportunities to hesitate going forward. 

33 minutes ago, Draconator said:

With a talent like Josh Allen, the temptation to use him as much as possible is just there. I agree we need more of a running game, but Josh's abilities makes the pass a much more attractive option. 

The ultimate goal is to win a Super Bowl, not to look attractive. See John Elway, Peyton Manning. They both looked "attractive" throwing the football. They didn't win a chip until they added a complimentary RB. 

23 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They ran the ball ok against LA.  

Not so much against Tennessee.  

Im really hesitant to use the Miami game as much of a baseline for anything.  They blitzed almost every play, Miami had defenders all over the LOS, and any creativity and/or pulling linemen was lost when we started seeing the effects of the heat early on.  

It certainly seems like it’s a problem though.  

A start would be to shorten the RB rotation. No idea why they rotate backs so much.  I don’t care if it’s Singletary or Moss, but pick one and stick with them. Rotate Cook in as the change of pace back. 

Singletary definitely took most of the snaps in the past game.  I know with the tennessee game they have traditionally had a good run defense, and they had a weak secondary so matchup wise - we should shred them in the air.  

Miami blitzed a ton early in this one so buffalo got comfortable in the shotgun giving allen a bit more space.  The multiple botched snaps under center was likely a concern as well.  

16 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Iwe've only taken one offensive lineman with a 1st round pick in the last 20 years (Eric Wood in 2009)

That’s from running in the middle of the pack so many years. We rarely drafted high enough to catch an OL with a solid fi st round grade at our pick. It’s the same reason we drafted so few QBs in the first.

Just now, StHustle said:

That’s from running in the middle of the pack so many years. We rarely drafted high enough to catch an OL with a solid fi st round grade at our pick. It’s the same reason we drafted so few QBs in the first.

I think there are missed opportunities outside the first though:

1 - moving on from Teller as a prospect in favor of flexibility with their depth.  

2 - Epenesa hasn't been a major impact player yet, there are multiple options around that pick that are more impact players along the line (ezra cleveland, damien lewis, jonah jackson

3 - Basham over Humphrey in 2021 after doubling down with rousseau after epenesa in 2020.

4 - Elam in 2022.  Obviously we don't know anything yet - but the next 2 players off the board were tyler smith and tyler linderbaum.  We certainly had the ability to draft either.  Likely was competition for morse and brown, and doesn't improve the guards around them either

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think there are missed opportunities outside the first though:

1 - moving on from Teller as a prospect in favor of flexibility with their depth.  

2 - Epenesa hasn't been a major impact player yet, there are multiple options around that pick that are more impact players along the line (ezra cleveland, damien lewis, jonah jackson

3 - Basham over Humphrey in 2021 after doubling down with rousseau after epenesa in 2020.

4 - Elam in 2022.  Obviously we don't know anything yet - but the next 2 players off the board were tyler smith and tyler linderbaum.  We certainly had the ability to draft either.  Likely was competition for morse and brown, and doesn't improve the guards around them either

do you not liike Espensa, Basham, and Elam?  All 3 have played great this year IMO.  And Elam is certainly a need right now

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

With a talent like Josh Allen, the temptation to use him as much as possible is just there. I agree we need more of a running game, but Josh's abilities makes the pass a much more attractive option. 

If we had the legitimate threat of running game that defenses were even slightly worried about, that would make Allen all that much better.  Defenses could no longer play like they were expecting pass every down.

Edited by Billz4ever

1 hour ago, Italian Bills said:

The run game is a real problem for too long right now. 

How is it possible that we couldn’t fix this problem after all this years ? 

Poor backs ? Poor OL ? We can’t run the ball consistently with all the backs together for about 150 yards a game, i don’t mean 400, but at least 150… com’on. 

And what I noticed is the we run the middle most of the times and most of the times with no gain. 

What about go outside the los and not through the middle ? Am i missing something ? 

Opinions ? Possible solutions ?

To me, Singletary and Moss have had their chances.

Start Cook.

The offensive line is bottom 12 in the league and our offense is never going to hinge on running the ball.

McDermott has had nothing but slow people running the ball since he got here: Tolbert, Ivory, Gore, Singletary, Moss. 

Get rid of the delayed handoffs, our line is horrible and gets no push, so all this does is give the defense more time to get in the backfield.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Daboll fell into this trap and now Dorsey is doing it too. At least Ken is taking some pressure off JA with all the dumpoffs. We've just never committed to good run blocking olineman or dynamic RB's. I have zero faith in us ever converting a 3rd & 1 or 4th & 1 without Josh having to do some stupid acrobatic play. If you want to enjoy 17's services for the next 10-12 years these coaches better figure it out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.