Mitch Morse is the lynchpin of this line

78thealltimegreat

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I can't even imagine what our defense would have looked like on Sunday without Elam. I believe he was matched up against Tyreek Hill for much of the game, and he gave up 2 receptions for a total of 10 yards. That kind of shutdown CB is much harder to find than a solid center. That's why you draft premium positions in the 1st round. That being said if the Bills want to go OL heavy on day 2 and 3 of the draft next year I won't complain. They need to get some more young talent in the pipeline.

We didnt just leave Elam on an island against Hill all game. Shutting down Hill had far more to do with overall scheme.  We had a late round pick starting just fine, and threw in a UDFA out of UB who was able to hold down the fort as well. None of our backup OL did as well.

WRT the bold, I tend to disagree. There are a handful of very good CBs in every draft. Heck, Elam was the 4th one taken, and there will likely be good players that come from after his draft position as well. There is 1 (maybe 2) Centers at the equivalent level in each draft.

Center, and anything in the trenches really, OL or DL, are premium positions for early picks too.

Again, I'm fine with the Elam pick, but the Linderbaum pick sure would've helped this team. I thought Beane learned his lesson after passing on Creed Humphrey the year before, but... maybe next year.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

46 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We didnt just leave Elam on an island against Hill all game. Shutting down Hill had far more to do with overall scheme.  We had a late round pick starting just fine, and threw in a UDFA out of UB who was able to hold down the fort as well. None of our backup OL did as well.

WRT the bold, I tend to disagree. There are a handful of very good CBs in every draft. Heck, Elam was the 4th one taken, and there will likely be good players that come from after his draft position as well. There is 1 (maybe 2) Centers at the equivalent level in each draft.

Center, and anything in the trenches really, OL or DL, are premium positions for early picks too.

Again, I'm fine with the Elam pick, but the Linderbaum pick sure would've helped this team. I thought Beane learned his lesson after passing on Creed Humphrey the year before, but... maybe next year.

Idk man Linderbaum just seems like another Bates .....good test numbers but someone who will never be big or strong enough. Creed Humphrey though.....that dude seemed perfect for Buffalo.....😤

morse is better than i thought, probably in large part because of his mental abilities.

our back ups are or were practice squad guys tho

van roetten and mancz were on practice squads at least once over the past 2 years.

i think hart being suspended ended up costing us the game in a sick and twisted way

1 minute ago, colin said:

morse is better than i thought, probably in large part because of his mental abilities.

our back ups are or were practice squad guys tho

van roetten and mancz were on practice squads at least once over the past 2 years.

i think hart being suspended ended up costing us the game in a sick and twisted way

Bobby Hart is the OL version of the Mendoza Line. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

Bobby Hart is the OL version of the Mendoza Line. 

i think it's luck, magic skill, or scheme, but it is hilarious that we put veteran OL (bad ones, obv) on the line and they can't execute a center snap, but we line up someone who showed hustle bagging groceries when mccoach was at wegmans at CB and cut miami's offensive production in 3 from their prior game.

Didn't want to start a new thread but given Brown's struggles, I am wondering if we should bring back Daryl Williams and move Brown to G. At this point in the season, we are not going to find HOF players and need to do what we can to shore up the OL. 

Also on a related note, I see Cowboys got the 40 yr old Jason Peters and he was playing LG in the MNF game. Apparently he is doing well and I wish we would have given him a 1 yr contract this season.  

11 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Didn't want to start a new thread but given Brown's struggles, I am wondering if we should bring back Daryl Williams and move Brown to G. At this point in the season, we are not going to find HOF players and need to do what we can to shore up the OL. 

Also on a related note, I see Cowboys got the 40 yr old Jason Peters and he was playing LG in the MNF game. Apparently he is doing well and I wish we would have given him a 1 yr contract this season.  

Outside of getting heat stroke in Miami I'm not sure Brown is struggling that much. At least not enough to bother pulling him and bringing someone else in. Especially if our options are at the Daryl Williams level.

He made a GREAT play on Gilliam's TD against Tenn, and has held up well enough in weeks 1 and 2 for our offense to dominate. He barely played on Sunday before having to go out.

I think we're good.

1 minute ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Too small a sample size so far.....but I haven't really seen him get too much push in the run game. But you could pretty much say the same thing for just about all the bills offensive lineman.

I'm going to have to assume it may be because they are learning a new run scheme with heavy zone blocking?  Last year the running game took off once he became took over at guard and Singletary became the featured back

• 4 weeks later...

Great clips of Morse from the KC game that should give you a much better appreciation of his athleticism and pass blocking skills.

https://youtube.com/shorts/YxE43C1F7aM?feature=share

On 9/27/2022 at 1:27 PM, BuffaloBill said:

It is exceptionally rare that any OLine players coming out of college have a first round grade unless they are a LT.  

Quinton Nelson?

Creed Humphrey?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/27/2022 at 12:44 PM, TBBills said:

Need a first round center next draft.

Morse is a good center, if not a very good one. He has an extensive injury history though and it’s noticeable when he’s not out there. I’m all for drafting an IOL with our first pick and sliding him in at RG and then bumping him into center whenever Morse goes out. We could do dumber things than building an OL to protect Josh.

Edited by Victory Formation
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Morse is a good center, if not a very good one. He has an extensive injury history though and it’s noticeable when he’s not out there. I’m all for drafting an IOL with our first pick and sliding him in at RG and then bumping him into center whenever Morse goes out. We could do dumber things than building an OL to protect Josh.

How often is he not out there? He has been here going on 4 years now and he has missed a total of 3 games.

I mean is the line not protecting Josh now? He has been sacked only 9 times(8 if you don't count the blatant trip against KC) and pressured at the lowest rate in the NFL. 

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.