Mitch Morse is the lynchpin of this line

78thealltimegreat

If you can stomach viewing the Miami game again there was like zero interior line push the entire game even with the Dolphins front 7 all completely gassed by about 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

Always thought Morse was a heck of a pass blocker but he’s probably the best run blocker on the team we have inside too. 
Obviously we had a ton of missed chances but if Mitch was simply in there we win this game easily. Get well soon man 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 10

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

If you can stomach viewing the Miami game again there was like zero interior line push the entire game even with the Dolphins front 7 all completely gassed by about 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

Always thought Morse was a heck of a pass blocker but he’s probably the best run blocker on the team we have inside too. 
Obviously we had a ton of missed chances but if Mitch was simply in there we win this game easily. Get well soon man 

I think more than his blocking abilities its his ability to set the protections and his veteran presence on the line that was missed the most.  Allen was under fire the whole game and most of our runs just got swallowed up.  I think even more than all of the defensive injuries we need Morse back the most.  If our O can fire on (even almost) all cylinders, even with the D injuries we will be in most games until the D starts to get healthy again.

• Agree 9

Morse is a valuable player and anytime he is out he is going to missed for his line calls and for his overall ability.   The guards playing next to him have been only serviceable players at best.  

The Bills seems reluctant to invest a premium draft choice (meaning 2/3/4) on the C/G position.  I say this assuming Cody Ford was supposed to be the  RT bookend to Dion Dawkins.  

We have used the 3rd and 2nd rounds to pick running backs.  We might be better served to pick up interior OL with these picks and use picks 5/6/7 for running backs.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Seeing as how our backup center can't even snap the ball competently on a consistent basis, yeah I'd say Morse is pretty important.

McDermott had nothing but praise for Von Roten and Josh said the he bobbled the snap just before halftime.  Not sure how Mancz did as the 3rd center. 

What else happened that made you think this? 

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I think more than his blocking abilities its his ability to set the protections and his veteran presence on the line that was missed the most.  Allen was under fire the whole game and most of our runs just got swallowed up.  I think even more than all of the defensive injuries we need Morse back the most.  If our O can fire on (even almost) all cylinders, even with the D injuries we will be in most games until the D starts to get healthy again.

Yes...there are two major things Allen missed from Morse being out.

#1 in addition to changing plays at the line and alerting his skill position players, he ALSO had to set OLine protection calls, which caused the playclock to run down far more than usual and caused some hurried snaps...that is because Morse takes care of those for him when he is in and Allen doesn't need to worry about it.

#2 Under center exchanges were greatly compromised with Van Roten in there instead of Morse so the fumbled exchange on the attempted kill spike at the end of the fist half AND the fact that Allen didn't attempt to take it from under center and just leap up in the air and stretch the ball out late in the 4th when were at like the 6 inch line like he did his rookie year in Minnesota.  If Morse was in there, they likely don't have those issues and Allen easily scores to put us back on top...instead they attempted a shotgun read option that got stuffed.

Crazy to think how little details and nuances can change the course of a game.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

McDermott had nothing but praise for Von Roten and Josh said the he bobbled the snap just before halftime.  Not sure how Mancz did as the 3rd center. 

What else happened that made you think this? 

I don't know if Van Roten is rotten but I saw more than enough errant shotgun snaps from him against Tennessee to not feel great when I found out he was starting against Miami. There were definitely some issues with snaps during the Miami game... not sure if that was purely on Van Roten or if everything was just soaked with sweat. Either way, Morse is critical to this line and we desperately need him back this week. 

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Yes...there are two major things Allen missed from Morse being out.

#1 in addition to changing plays at the line and alerting his skill position players, he ALSO had to set OLine protection calls, which caused the playclock to run down far more than usual and caused some hurried snaps...that is because Morse takes care of those for him when he is an he doesn't need to worry about it.

#2 under center exchanges were greatly compromised with Van Roten in there instead of Morse so the fumbled exchange on the attempted kill spike at the end of the fist half AND the fact that Allen didn't attempt to take it from under center and just leap up in the air and stretch the ball out late in the 4th when were at like the 6 inch line like he did his rookie year in Minnesota.  If Morse was in there, they likely don't have those issues and Allen easily scores to put us back on top...instead they attempted a shotgun read option that got stuffed.

Crazy to think how little details and nuances can change the course of a game.

It gives the whole "game of inches" saying a whole new meaning.  There are so many factors that go into a play that it really can be the difference in a win and a loss.

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Need a first round center next draft.

not sure why you’re getting so many “disagree” and “laugh” emojis… this would be a good pick (assuming there’s a kid there worth picking)… Morse ain’t gonna last forever.   He’ll be 31 at the start of next season.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I've read on this forum that Mitch was a liability and overpaid.  Are you saying posters should be working for news agencies?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.